The Student Room Group

Starting uni September 2016

What are you most worried about for starting uni in September?
Coping without parents
Learning how to budget
Learning how to cook
And actual studying :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Coping without parents
Learning how to budget
Learning how to cook
And actual studying :smile:

If you're worried about cooking, it can be a good idea to learn a few simple recipes before you go or there are some great simple student cookbooks around with a range of recipes that are easy to follow :smile: All great life skills to learn!
Not making any friends/disliking my university XD

Where are you going next year? :h:
-Not making friends
-Being broke
-Getting lost
-Failing.
Reply 5
Original post by thechemistress
Not making any friends/disliking my university XD

Where are you going next year? :h:

Where are you hoping to study next year?
Original post by SophieC23
Where are you hoping to study next year?

Medicine at either KCL or B'ham :h: you?
Reply 7
Original post by thechemistress
Medicine at either KCL or B'ham :h: you?

wow good luck! Already at Bristol, thought I could give some good advice about what people might be nervous for... :smile:
Definitely worried about the workload that comes with taking up Law and also cooking as I opted for self-catered!
Reply 9
Lots of people worried about cooking! It's good to learn few simple recipes at home :smile: everyone can cook!
I'm worried about my mental health deteriorating and not having family close by if that happens. But I'm going to do regular exercise and eat healthy to try and prevent this. I'm more excited than nervous:biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Tarte Tatin
I'm worried about my mental health deteriorating and not having family close by if that happens. But I'm going to do regular exercise and eat healthy to try and prevent this. I'm more excited than nervous:biggrin:

Sound like good ideas. There are loads of support networks and points of contact at uni that you can use, make sure you reach out to them if you find your mental health start to deteriorate :smile: It's a great time - I'm sure you'll love it!
Reply 12
- money money money
- London being too big, busy & crowded for me & my anxiety to cope (despite the fact that I actually do want to live in London. My anxiety just disagrees..)
- not making friends / not liking the people in my flat / liking the people in my flat but being unable to talk to them (due to anxiety) / the people in my flat not liking me
- having a tonne of anxiety during freshers week & not being able to enjoy it properly
- not actually being ready for uni yet and ending up dropping out (this is irrational, like rationally I know the chances are I'll be able to cope, but idk the irrational stuff is much more prominent in my brain? I can't not listen to it. It's hard to explain)
- essentially just anxiety lmao
- also crime rates

(But honestly despite all this I am really excited to start uni.. That stuff just gets buried under a mountain of increasingly unlikely "what if" scenarios that are impossible for me to ignore, even though I know how unlikely they are.)

Quick Reply

Latest