The Student Room Group

Sick of my weight, totally depressed feel really ugly 😟 diet tips pls

Scroll to see replies

I've lost some weight recently by joining the gym and cutting out dairy.

I started doing classes at the gym rather than just straight up going there and not knowing what to do. I felt if I had other people around me and a trainer telling us what to do I'd be more motivated and I am. I feel a lot better for it.

Cutting out dairy was easy and has made me feel a lot better. I'm less bloated and it's encouraged me to cook healthier and get more veggies in my life. Loads of water too. I went on a strict "drink nothing but water" thing, but had to have my coffee so it didn't really work all that well, but cut out all fizzy drinks and sugarry drinks and replace them with water.
Original post by akritighimire
weight loss is not about calories though, restricting calories and consuming less than the recommended daily intake is actually very harmful for the body. losing weight is about eating a healthy diet (less than 10% of calories should come from fat but on a dairy+meat diet that will be much higher) eating a high calorie vegan diet is wayy healthier than say, eating 1500 calories per day consisting of more than 10% fat
Also, nuts > animal fats

Yes weight loss is about calories. What you just said factually incorrect.
Original post by AsiaM
Pls post if you feel the same & tips for staying motivated on healthier lifestyle

Its all in the mind. I learned to love my appearance.
weight loss is not about calories though, restricting calories and consuming less than the recommended daily intake is actually very harmful for the body. losing weight is about eating a healthy diet (less than 10% of calories should come from fat but on a dairy+meat diet that will be much higher) eating a high calorie vegan diet is wayy healthier than say, eating 1500 calories per day consisting of more than 10% fat
Also, nuts > animal fats

weight loss is

cals in < cals out

you cannot argue with that.
yes and vegan diets naturally consist of lower calorie food eg: 100grams of broccoli contains approx 35 calories compared to 100g of pork, approx 250 calories

And 100g of almonds has 576 calories, wow look. I can pick and choose information too!
you know people who eat meat can also eat almonds right?
almonds + vegetables is better than almonds + meat
a vegan diet is simply a normal diet but without meat and dairy..

I'm fully aware of that. You missed the entire point.

And the point is calories matter and vegan does not automatically = low calorie. You also contradicted yourself
Reply 26
The go gym, no point whining about it on the internet.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm fully aware of that. You missed the entire point.

And the point is calories matter and vegan does not automatically = low calorie. You also contradicted yourself

vegan diet = lower calorie than a meat diet
it is, compared to strict diets and exercising daily- all you need to do is not eat meat and dairy :smile:

ermmmm :erm:
nooo...
you also have to not wear warm jackets and coats or any clothes that is made up of animals skin plus make-up products that are animal tested :h:
vegan diet = lower calorie than a meat diet

Not necessarily.

Honestly it's very simple.
thats a personal choice lol but in terms of diet, that is all you have to do

have you ever watched a youtuber called "freelee the banana girl" she is pure vegan and she said that being vegan isn't just eating its also relates to what you are wearing and applying soooo...... boom :biggrin:
not necessarily but most of the time
if you take any diet and minus the meat and dairy you will be left with consideably fewer amount of calories

You are failing to see the point. Please stop talking complete trash.
Reply 32
Firstly, don't think of it as weight loss or a diet, think of it more as you becoming happier and healthier, this makes it a lot easier, as this is a long process and takes time, there is no quick fix. But once you start feeling happier and healthier it will become a lot easier to stick to the changes you've made.

You definitely need to monitor what you eat, diet is the most important part of changing your lifestyle, and is more important than the exercise aspect. A lot of people underestimate the amount of calories they are eating and how unhealthy they are actually eating, so monitoring this really helps you realise where you are going wrong.

You should also set small weekly and monthly goals rather than just having one big goal, as this will motivate you a lot more and allow you to take one step at a time.

You should aim to eat 3 balanced meals with snacks in between, you can easily google to find some healthy snack alternatives that taste great and aren't unhealthy.

Aim to do some high intensity training at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep, this is really important and can really affect your weight.

Also don't weigh yourself as a measure of your progress, rather you should take progress pictures, as a lot of the time when the fat turns to muscle you won't notice a big difference on the scale.

Finally, and probably the most important tip, learn to love eating healthy and exercising, make it a part of your lifestyle and trust me you will learn to love it, just give it time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Work out your BMR and try to train at least 5 days a week however you enjoy whether it's steady pace such as jogging or running, lifting or HIIT. Eat only whole foods with protein in every meal trying to eat your BMR's worth of calories. This way you won't get hungry and you'll train because you enjoy it.

P.S if you get chocolate cravings get yourself a chocolate flavoured protein powder and mix with skimmed milk it will taste like a chocolate milkshake and subside cravings
You are failing to see the point. Please stop talking complete trash.

you're right,you keep repeating that I'm missing the point but I have no idea what your point is ???
a vegan diet is not necessarily low calorie because nuts have high calories?? A meat eater can also eat nuts, it's all about moderation. All I'm saying is that a diet with less meat and dairy = less calories
you're right,you keep repeating that I'm missing the point but I have no idea what your point is ???
a vegan diet is not necessarily low calorie because nuts have high calories?? A meat eater can also eat nuts, it's all about moderation. All I'm saying is that a diet with less meat and dairy = less calories

It's so painfully clear. Vegan does not always = low calorie. Vegan can ve low calorie, but then so can a non vegan diet. It completely depends on what the person is eating and how much. If you don't understand that I worry for you.

You have also contradicted yourself in this thread. You said weight loss is not about calories, but you then proceeded to use calories to "prove" vegan = weight loss.
It's so painfully clear. Vegan does not always = low calorie. Vegan can ve low calorie, but then so can a non vegan diet. It completely depends on what the person is eating and how much. If you don't understand that I worry for you.

You have also contradicted yourself in this thread. You said weight loss is not about calories, but you then proceeded to use calories to "prove" vegan = weight loss.

What I was trying to say was that going vegan is a far better way to lose weight (for a healthier lifestyle) than just restricting the calorie intake of a normal diet(which also restricts the nutrition).If all you're worried about is weight loss, just starving yourself if the most effective.
Eating less meat and dairy is the best way to cut calories because they are the most harmful, high calorie foods(increase risk of cancer,heart disease etc). Going vegan means that with less meat and dairy(high calorie foods) in your diet, you do not really have to worry about calories.
Foods like almonds should also be consumed with moderation, vegan or non-vegan.Most people, when going vegan tend to substitute meat with vegetable instead of nuts, so this is hardly a problem.
Also, vegetarianism and veganism are much better lifestyles (the average vegetarian lives 10 years longer than the average meat eater), it's better for the environment, and to an extent, more moral. Going vegan means you do not have to take part in rigorous exercise or strict, harmful low calorie diets that simply do not provide enough nutrition. I hope you get my point now.
EAT WHOLE FOODS.a
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by AsiaM
Pls post if you feel the same & tips for staying motivated on healthier lifestyle

never ever ever ever ever do any of that fasting cr*p its not good for you.

just do cardio 3/4 times a week and work in a calorie deficit, also don't let it bother you! It will happen naturally over time so you gotta let it do its work.

I went from like 92kg (not healthy for my height) to 82kg (really good for my height) in a good few months and that was just casual working out etc. so dw about it
Original post by AxSirlotl
Start by making subtle changes. Going for a quick run in the morning or 1 less sugar in your coffee. Keep reducing the amount of sugar and red meat in your diet and gradually increase the amount of exercise you do. Weigh yourself after a week and you should see your weight go down which should make the work pay off. I've just realised this is basically what superhuman said. Losing weight should be something with a reward for your work, so don't completely cut out chocolate and treats, but maybe once a week.

Red meat? Are you serious? Red doesn't make you fat. Mars bars and coca cola and coco pops make you fat.

Quick Reply

Latest