The Student Room Group

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HeimIX
It is illogical too refute or resign your gender. Plain and simple.

Nobody is 'refuting' or 'resigning' their gender though. Some people's gender just doesn't match their biological sex. See gender dysphoria.
Original post by LilyRobinson
I personally disagree with this. I am a trans woman (born male but identify as female). As I kid I fit in with the lads quite well and by all outward appearance, how I dressed and acted I was a stereotypical lad and in all honesty, how I dress and act and what I like has not changed much since then. I never felt I identified with the male gender though. I can't pinpoint as to why I don't but I don't. Since starting transitioning, especially starting on hormones I have become a happier and more productive member of society and as I have said. For the most part I haven't really changed.

My dysphoria was never associated to me having interests that didn't stereotypically correspond to my birth sex. My dysphoria was merely due to me not identifying as male, why I don't identify as male I don't know. But being viewed as male, having a body that was physically male caused me a lot of distress, I was very depressed and sometimes my dysphoria surfaced as quite strong anger. I really would not go back and even if gender stereotypes are erased from society, I still doubt I would have ever been happy being male.

It's good to hear from you because I've had views roughly along these lines for a while and I think it's important for me to get input from trans individuals. Unfortunately I don't feel I'm close enough to any of my trans friends to discuss this sort of thing without risking offense.

The main question I'd like to ask is what it would mean to identify as of the male gender (for example) in a society where masculinity and other traditionally 'male traits' were no longer associated with or expected from the male biological sex? I'm struggling to comprehend what this would mean, since I would expect the concept of gender to dissolve along with such associations.

I personally don't really know what to make of my gender. I had never viewed it as at all distinct from biological sex until a conversation with a friend a couple of years ago. But that was more because I didn't actually realise there was a difference in definition (i.e. I wasn't familiar with the concept of gender as distinct from biological sex) than because the gender I identified as matched my sex. I didn't identify as any gender in particular, I just assumed I was male because that's my sex and I thought 'sex' and 'gender' referred to an identical concept. Now I am familiar with the distinction, I just try to avoid giving my gender in all possible situations because I don't really know what to make of it. I don't 'identify' with any particular category and I don't particular want an extra (unnecessary, in my view) label to describe me. I can't envisage any situations at all in which it would matter in the slightest what gender I felt best described me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Implication
Nobody is 'refuting' or 'resigning' their gender though. Some people's gender just doesn't match their biological sex. See gender dysphoria.

Hmm, kk, I just know that being Transgender or thinking you're another sex is a mental disorder.
Original post by HeimIX
Hmm, kk, I just know that being Transgender or thinking you're another sex is a mental disorder.

They don't think they are another sex though! That's kind of what I'm trying to tell you. There's a difference between gender and sex, and transgenderism is where your gender doesn't correspond to your biological sex. It isn't a mental disorder in itself, but the medical condition associated with it is called gender dysphoria. It's very distressing for trans individuals to deal with, and a bit of compassion could go a long way.
The PC brigade will have about 8 different changing rooms by the time they are done.

Waiting for the incoming "Social Anxiety" changing rooms for those who struggle to get changed in front of others. My school was already short on facilities, and i would have been annoyed to see the already limited resources around the PE department thinned further for something as irrelevant as this.
They don't think they are another sex though! That's kind of what I'm trying to tell you. There's a difference between gender and sex, and transgenderism is where your gender doesn't correspond to your biological sex. It isn't a mental disorder in itself, but the medical condition associated with it is called gender dysphoria. It's very distressing for trans individuals to deal with, and a bit of compassion could go a long way.

Compassion yes, mental disorders should be treated as mental disorders - pandering and surgery, no.
Education, yes. Bathrooms/changing rooms, no? That takes money/capital budget. They should go in the bathroom of their sex. Once they make the sexual change, yes go to the bathroom of their new sex.

You can't just have men in wigs strolling to the girl's room and girls with baggy pants strolling in the men's room!
Original post by JG1233
The PC brigade will have about 8 different changing rooms by the time they are done.

Waiting for the incoming "Social Anxiety" changing rooms for those who struggle to get changed in front of others. My school was already short on facilities, and i would have been annoyed to see the already limited resources around the PE department thinned further for something as irrelevant as this.

Lol exactly. :biggrin:
Original post by Chaz W
Compassion yes, mental disorders should be treated as mental disorders - pandering and surgery, no.

So much this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

Lol you think gender dysphoria is a mental disorder? :tongue:

I mean...dysphoria...is a mental disorder, so...that can only mean one thing, can't it? :s-smilie:
Seems like a complete waste of money and will be prone to exploitation.
In my old school of 300 in the year - nobody was openly transgender so the facility will be unlikely to be used.
Also what's stopping creeps who claim to be transgender just going into these toilets and harassing people sexually?
Seriously not everyone can feel comfortable about things - did I like getting changed for p.e. in front of everyone? No, but I dealt with it.
Cons outweigh the pros
Original post by LittleMissMay
Lol you think gender dysphoria is a mental disorder? :tongue:

I mean...dysphoria...is a mental disorder, so...that can only mean one thing, can't it? :s-smilie:

Shop lifting in the USA is classed as a disorder as a psychologist I'm taught to think critically.

This is my own thought I don't just look at dsm v or icd 10 and go yup that's true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trans is simply the outcome of failed parenting. Further implementation of this flawed notion more generally in society - such as promoting bloody 'gender neutral facilities' - will further propagate the idea that this not a mental health issue and that these people don't actually need help. Lets start helping these people solve their problem, not just letting them live with it - that is what a truly empathetic society would do.
Original post by paul514
Shop lifting in the USA is classed as a disorder as a psychologist I'm taught to think critically.

This is my own thought I don't just look at dsm v or icd 10 and go yup that's true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I agree it's a disorder even though I don't know what dsm v or icd 10 is.
Well I agree it's a disorder even though I don't know what dsm v or icd 10 is.

Diagnostic and Statistical manual 5 and International classification of diseases 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Diagnostic and Statistical manual 5 and International classification of diseases 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that like a standard thing and I've totally missed the memo...

Id rather not.
Original post by danwbell
Trans is simply the outcome of failed parenting.

You don't actually believe this, do you?

They're two materials doctors may use when classifying mental disorders

Yes it's what we use to diagnose and categorise mental disorders. Both have their own weaknesses the icd 10 is both mental and physical classifications and dsm v is mental health only

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply