The Student Room Group

Any non religious Muslims around?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhythmical
I can't be, I'm sure you must be older than me. I can't be much older than you, maybe one year but that's it. :tongue:

How old r u?
Please don't tell me to go pray. The only thing I do is eat halal meat but I feel as if I'm slipping away from my beliefs. Anyone else like that?

Lol I don't even eat meat that necessarily says certified 'halal' (don't judge me pls) I'll eat halal meat but if there isn't halal meat around then meh, British meat is reared in a humane way IMO, there's no point saying meat is halal if it's treated badly then only the slaughtering is humane and killed in a halal way, it doesn't work like that. Some meat from halal butchers get their meat shipped and who knows how the animals were treated in another country with less animal welfare regulations.

Sorry off topic lol...

Tbh, your religion is between you and God, and for me I think being a kind person and just is far more weightier than being a horrible judgemental person and praying 5 times a day, you get me? Like what's the point of praying if you treat people an animals in a cruel way and you're just mean.

But with saying that, prayer is important but I think you just need to find a reason to pray you know? I'm not perfect with my prayer ngl sometims I don't bother, but when I get upset I just sit and reflect, eventually I just decide to pray. IMO prayer isn't prayer if you're just simply doing the motions.

If that's too much, then just focus on being a good person and just look into what Islam truly says on a basic level as opposed to all these minor things like 'how long should my beard be' or 'is makeup halal?' It's totally irrelevant. What matters is how you live your life and treat others around you, that's one of the fundamental ideas.

And tbh, the times where I slipped away the most is where I came back strongly and started to realise a few things. I'd rather not say but I've had seriously bad patches in my life honestly they still affect me now. But you know what, whether you want to believe god exists or not, it doesn't hurt to believe that there is a being who knows what's good for you and will guide and comfort you. Just believing that things would get better because god knows best helped me so much, and you know what, things did get better (before they got worse again lol) Worst case scenario you die and never exist again but at least you were a good person and you made a positive difference to the people around you.

I think you just need to discover things for yourself instead of feeling bombarded by what your parents, family or other people are telling you to believe.

Not sure where I was going with this post but I hope it was worth the read, was just sharing my opinion really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
How old r u?

Guess. :tongue:

Original post by maryamrangel
Lol I don't even eat meat that necessarily says certified 'halal' (don't judge me pls) I'll eat halal meat but if there isn't halal meat around then meh, British meat is reared in a humane way IMO, there's no point saying meat is halal if it's treated badly then only the slaughtering is humane and killed in a halal way, it doesn't work like that. Some meat from halal butchers get their meat shipped and who knows how the animals were treated in another country with less animal welfare regulations.

Sorry off topic lol...

Tbh, your religion is between you and God, and for me I think being a kind person and just is far more weightier than being a horrible judgemental person and praying 5 times a day, you get me? Like what's the point of praying if you treat people an animals in a cruel way and you're just mean.

But with saying that, prayer is important but I think you just need to find a reason to pray you know? I'm not perfect with my prayer ngl sometims I don't bother, but when I get upset I just sit and reflect, eventually I just decide to pray. IMO prayer isn't prayer if you're just simply doing the motions.

If that's too much, then just focus on being a good person and just look into what Islam truly says on a basic level as opposed to all these minor things like 'how long should my beard be' or 'is makeup halal?' It's totally irrelevant. What matters is how you live your life and treat others around you, that's one of the fundamental ideas.

And tbh, the times where I slipped away the most is where I came back strongly and started to realise a few things. I'd rather not say but I've had seriously bad patches in my life honestly they still affect me now. But you know what, whether you want to believe god exists or not, it doesn't hurt to believe that there is a being who knows what's good for you and will guide and comfort you. Just believing that things would get better because god knows best helped me so much, and you know what, things did get better (before they got worse again lol) Worst case scenario you die and never exist again but at least you were a good person and you made a positive difference to the people around you.

I think you just need to discover things for yourself instead of feeling bombarded by what your parents, family or other people are telling you to believe.

Not sure where I was going with this post but I hope it was worth the read, was just sharing my opinion really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is so true. If I am being honest, I think slowly it could die out based on the fact that these days, a lot of people choose careers over marriage and build their lives up. We're too busy thinking about our lives that religion bypasses everything. There are many Muslims who don't observe or never fully adhere to the rules but they would never admit it and that is what annoys me. But I do understand your viewpoint but thank you anyways. :smile:
Please don't tell me to go pray. The only thing I do is eat halal meat but I feel as if I'm slipping away from my beliefs. Anyone else like that?

Hey, I'm not a muslim at all, but may I offer you some advice?
Original post by nerdydaydreamer
Hey, I'm not a muslim at all, but may I offer you some advice?

OK sure.

I don't pray much anymore, I used to pray Juma Salah but ever since I've been going to uni I've become lazy and only pray it sometimes

The only real time when I pray is during Ramadan ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MuhammadDarcy
I don't pray much anymore, I used to pray Juma Salah but ever since I've been going to uni I've become lazy and only pray it sometimes

The only real time when I pray is during Ramadan ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Atleast you do pray. I hope it is for the right intentions and not just because you have to lol. I only understand how hectic life can be, I'm experiencing that right now.
Guess. :tongue:

That is so true. If I am being honest, I think slowly it could die out based on the fact that these days, a lot of people choose careers over marriage and build their lives up. We're too busy thinking about our lives that religion bypasses everything. There are many Muslims who don't observe or never fully adhere to the rules but they would never admit it and that is what annoys me. But I do understand your viewpoint but thank you anyways. :smile:

16?
Atleast you do pray. I hope it is for the right intentions and not just because you have to lol. I only understand how hectic life can be, I'm experiencing that right now.

I haven't prayed in months to be honest 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
16?

I wish haha.

I haven't prayed in months to be honest 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ramadan is coming soon anyways haha.
I wish haha.

Older or younger? 14-20?
I wish haha.

I only pray Fajr during Ramadan

and I Haven't prayed Tarawih during Ramadan in 4 years 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
start off slow, for example pray however many times a day, just think its like 4% of your day, just 5-10mins and you can go back to what you were doing
or you could try reading a couple of pages of the qur'an a day, i understand how you feel, although i do pray everyday, i dont take my time and savor the 5 mins i have to ask Allah for anything i need or read qur'an everyday.
getting back to a religion is like losing weight, you see no change no matter how hard you work but you get there in the end and you never look back.
just think of the afterlife, sometimes what motivates me is:
1)mum
2) comparing myself to others and going "dude the guy that smokes at your mosque is more religious than you, get off your butt) or looking at someone i really wanna be like and going "okay mate you will never become like them if you dont get up"
3) or if i really really need something, like good GCSE grades theres no way Allah will give me that if i dont work or prove i deserve it
:smile::smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

im gunna cry for you mate
yup, pretty much
Original post by sfaraj
im gunna cry for you mate

Thanks lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so hey, I'm the non Muslim who commented earlier :smile:

Have you considered why you are feeling like this?
Are you doubting your faith/struggling to believe in the teachings you have been brought up with?
Are you feeling as though you've neglected your faith because you may have other things in the forefront of your life, and that's why you feel disconnected?
Are you feeling as though you need to explore other religions, faiths and lifestyles?
Are you feeling as though maybe following Islam isn't for you, or doesn't reflect who you are?

I think exploring these feelings is really important in order for you to decide who you are. And remember, if you drift away from Islam, this doesn't mean you can't go back to it in terms of your beliefs if you realise that it fits you best after all. A religion or faith should fit in with your life, your morals and who you are. Of course faith shapes a huge part of your morals and who you are, because the religious teachings you are exposed to will often have an impact on this, as will your culture and traditions, but that doesn't mean you are neglecting who you are or in the wrong from drifting away from this if you no longer feel it's best for you/who you are. If you are Muslim by upbringing rather than by exploration of faith, perhaps you are a practising Muslim, but not a believing Muslim?

I think that now you are beginning to address your feelings, it will be good for you investigate your faith and who you are a little more and decide the best course of action - perhaps you want to salvage your faith and start practising and pouring your heart into it again, or perhaps you feel that Islam is no longer for you and you should take the necessary course of action.

I wish you all the best with whatever you choose :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by muzi123
Lets see your responses try hard!!!!
:rofl:
Apophenia and confirmation bias.

You really think that if there was actually a god, that is the best method they could come up with to prove their existence?
Some people will literally believe anything!
I wish haha.

Big Mac for me please.
Older or younger? 14-20?

In that age range.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you'll get better soon unless your heart isn't in it..

Original post by nerdydaydreamer
Okay so hey, I'm the non Muslim who commented earlier :smile:

Have you considered why you are feeling like this?
Are you doubting your faith/struggling to believe in the teachings you have been brought up with?
Are you feeling as though you've neglected your faith because you may have other things in the forefront of your life, and that's why you feel disconnected?
Are you feeling as though you need to explore other religions, faiths and lifestyles?
Are you feeling as though maybe following Islam isn't for you, or doesn't reflect who you are?

I think exploring these feelings is really important in order for you to decide who you are. And remember, if you drift away from Islam, this doesn't mean you can't go back to it in terms of your beliefs if you realise that it fits you best after all. A religion or faith should fit in with your life, your morals and who you are. Of course faith shapes a huge part of your morals and who you are, because the religious teachings you are exposed to will often have an impact on this, as will your culture and traditions, but that doesn't mean you are neglecting who you are or in the wrong from drifting away from this if you no longer feel it's best for you/who you are. If you are Muslim by upbringing rather than by exploration of faith, perhaps you are a practising Muslim, but not a believing Muslim?

I think that now you are beginning to address your feelings, it will be good for you investigate your faith and who you are a little more and decide the best course of action - perhaps you want to salvage your faith and start practising and pouring your heart into it again, or perhaps you feel that Islam is no longer for you and you should take the necessary course of action.

I wish you all the best with whatever you choose :smile:

Aw thank you it is true that I must discover myself. I'm feeling low in life so maybe that is it. I'll Find myself soon one day.

Quick Reply

Latest