The Student Room Group

Parametric equations of curves

parametric.png
I can do (a) and I can do most of (b)- I can get the distances of P to A (PA) and P to B (PB) but then I don't know what to do with them to show PB=2PA??? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by rpnom
parametric.png
I can do (a) and I can do most of (b)- I can get the distances of P to A (PA) and P to B (PB) but then I don't know what to do with them to show PB=2PA??? Thanks!

Well, if you know PAPA and PBPB then you just need to say that the first is twice the second? Can we see your working out?
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Well, if you know PAPA and PBPB then you just need to say that the first is twice the second? Can we see your working out?

pcurves.png
Reply 3
Original post by rpnom

You've said AA is the point (32p,0)\left(\frac{3}{2p}, 0\right) and BB is the point (0,3p2)(0, 3p^2). I agree with this.

Now the point P is (1p,p2)\left(\frac{1}{p}, p^2\right). Can you now find the correct distances PAPA and PBPB using the standard distance formula?
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
You've said AA is the point (32p,0)\left(\frac{3}{2p}, 0\right) and BB is the point (0,3p2)(0, 3p^2). I agree with this.

Now the point P is (1p,p2)\left(\frac{1}{p}, p^2\right). Can you now find the correct distances PAPA and PBPB using the standard distance formula?

I sort of did that didn't I? I found PA^2 and PB^2 using that formula? :/
Reply 5
Original post by rpnom
I sort of did that didn't I? I found PA^2 and PB^2 using that formula? :/

Look at your PA^2, why are you subtracting 0 from both of them?

It should be PA2=(32p1p,01p2)PA^2 = \left(\frac{3}{2p} - \frac{1}{p}, 0 - \frac{1}{p^2}\right) and same for PB - you seem to be treating PP as (0,0)(0,0).
Reply 6
Original post by rpnom
pcurves.png

Despite the fact you subtracted 0 twice (as Zacken pointed out), you got the correct distances. Now pull out a factor of 4 in your PB2=1p2+4p4PB^{2} = \frac{1}{p^{2}}+4p^{4} and you should find that you get PB2=4PA2 PB^{2} = 4PA^{2}

Quick Reply

Latest