The Student Room Group

What happens if you can't do A2 exams?

If a university has already accepted you, and you've sat your AS exams but aren't able to sit your A2 exams, what steps are taken?

I'm only asking as my mental health has been suffering intensely in the past couple of months, with my parents insisting on hospitalisation (bad history when I last declined). But I think that would look way worse than grades below my full potential, I did really well last year and all year through the mocks. I'm just so anxious that it'll all slip at the last minute, not only screwing up the exams but the image that'll present to the university. I'm applying for English Literature at Goldsmiths, so I've been assured that their focus will be on my English grade, but it all seems like a lose lose situation.

Inputs, please?

Edit: please excuse any (ironic) grammatical errors lol, panic state.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lolla52
If a university has already accepted you, and you've sat your AS exams but aren't able to sit your A2 exams, what steps are taken?

I'm only asking as my mental health has been suffering intensely in the past couple of months, with my parents insisting on hospitalisation (bad history when I last declined). But I think that would look way worse than grades below my full potential, I did really well last year and all year through the mocks. I'm just so anxious that it'll all slip at the last minute, not only screwing up the exams but the image that'll present to the university. I'm applying for English Literature at Goldsmiths, so I've been assured that their focus will be on my English grade, but it all seems like a lose lose situation.

Inputs, please?

Edit: please excuse any (ironic) grammatical errors lol, panic state.

If you are actually in hospital during the exam period and cannot take them, then provided you have completed a certain percentage of the exams/coursework (I think it's 40-ish, but no longer sure) you will be awarded a grade based on your predicted grades and the achieved grades so far. @Compost or @Muttley79 or @gdunne42 as exams officers will be able to tell you more precisely.
Reply 2
Original post by Lolla52

I'm only asking as my mental health has been suffering intensely in the past couple of months, with my parents insisting on hospitalisation (bad history when I last declined). But I think that would look way worse than grades below my full potential, I did really well last year and all year through the mocks. I'm just so anxious that it'll all slip at the last minute, not only screwing up the exams but the image that'll present to the university. I'm applying for English Literature at Goldsmiths, so I've been assured that their focus will be on my English grade, but it all seems like a lose lose situation..

If you are fit to do so then it is perfectly possible to take exams in hospital - I've arranged this in advance for people with chronic conditions and at very short notice for temporary ones (the day after an appendectomy). I suggest that you talk to your college about what might be possible if you have to be hospitalized. I've only had to arrange exams at a hospital we could drive to on the morning, but if you hospitalised a long way from your centre then that can be arranged too, it just takes a bit more time.

If you are genuinely unable to attempt an exam, then you can be given marks for it and an overall grade awarded IF the following is satisfied:
A Level six unit award: 50% of the total assessment must have been completed with at least one A2 unit completed.
A Level four unit award: 50% of the total assessment must have been completed with at least one A2 unit completed.
An A Level award will not be issued on the basis of AS units alone.

The marks they award you are based on how you have done in the other units and national comparable data. I have known a candidate have to miss an exam and still be awarded an A* at A level and the system seems to work very fairly for those who genuinely have to miss a unit.
(edited 8 years ago)
COmpost seems to have beaten me to it!

I would also get your school to write to your firm and explain the situation. Knowing issues before, or soon after, the exams seems to work better than waiting for results; I've had several students get accepted on low grades through this route.

I've also had students sit exams in hospital - some after severe injuries - exam boards do try to be fair within the guidelines.
Reply 4
Original post by Holmstock
I am unclear whether the exam board would agree that this amounts to not being fit to take the practicals - and would welcome any comments to help us decide what to do.

Not knowing more details of the case I cannot advise - ultimately it is down to the exam board. You will have to take your school's advice.
Original post by Compost
Not knowing more details of the case I cannot advise - ultimately it is down to the exam board. You will have to take your school's advice.

OK - and thank you for getting back to me.
I think Compost has covered things, but I really would get in touch with Goldsmith's asap to
a) let them know of the situation - admissions tutors are always more sympathetic if they know in advance
b) get in touch with the disability support team - they are responsible for supporting you with any MH problems, and if you contact them early, support can be there from day 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending