The Student Room Group

Should England leave the UK?

If the UK as a whole votes to stay in the EU (say by sixty percent) but England as a whole favoured leaving, what would be the result and could it be envisaged that England would vote to leave the UK to get out of the EU?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't really mind - what difference would it make? less labour governments and pretty much nothing else. less land? less land that nobody really minds losing (I've only been to wales once, for a funeral, and I've never been to scotland or NI). the only issue would be the fact that we'd very likely lose our seat at the UNSC, because the seat there is "the united kingdom" and not england - and this would probably apply to other international organisations.
That'll be pretty weird because England actually Unites Scotland and Wales and that.
Last I saw 100% of English law is made at Westminster. Bloody terrible, I tell you.
This is so edgy I cut my hand
Scottish migrants taking our jobs!!! AND stealing our benefits!!!!!!!!! If we don't leave the IRA will come over from Ireland in force!!!!! Close our borders!!!!! OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by JordanL_
Scottish migrants taking our jobs!!! AND stealing our benefits!!!!!!!!!

lol scottish people can't get jobs
Original post by JordanL_
Scottish migrants taking our jobs!!! AND stealing our benefits!!!!!!!!! If we don't leave the IRA will come over from Ireland in force!!!!! Close our borders!!!!! OUT OUT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:s-smilie:
Original post by BigBabyJesus
lol scottish people can't get jobs

Original post by LittleMissMay

that's why groundskeeper willie had to emigrate to the US....as a janitor...
that's why groundskeeper willie had to emigrate to the US....as a janitor...

Can someone just tell me wtf is Hagrid's accent and why he's the Hogwarts ground and gamekeeper? :dry:
Can someone just tell me wtf is Hagrid's accent and why he's the Hogwarts ground and gamekeeper? :dry:

he's from the west county (my area of england, or the "dir'ey souff" as some people with the accent call it) so obviously he'd get an awesome job in a school of magic
Screw England, Independent Mercia
he's from the west county (my area of england, or the "dir'ey souff" as some people with the accent call it) so obviously he'd get an awesome job in a school of magic

:erm: what I meant was, is he portraying a Scottish person and so he got the grungy work?
:erm: what I meant was, is he portraying a Scottish person and so he got the grungy work?

how many non-magic english people do you see working for hogwarts though? you're setting the bar way too high
how many non-magic english people do you see working for hogwarts though? you're setting the bar way too high

Lol not too many...

Oh my God you're right--actually no, the other guy with the thumb for the avatar is right; the Scottish are taking the jobs?!

:tongue:
For England to leave the union simply to leave the EU would be unacceptable, intolerable and disgusting. EU membership is orders of magnitude less important than preserving the union (though i reckon we could take Wales with us).
Londoners should vote to leave the UK.

They are a net contributor to the UK and would be better off out.
Original post by Davij038
If the UK as a whole votes to stay in the EU (say by sixty percent) but England as a whole favoured leaving, what would be the result and could it be envisaged that England would vote to leave the UK to get out of the EU?

You know England is 84% of the U.K. Population right?

You know this is a uk wide vote and doesn't need permission from all four nations?

Saying Scotland should vote to leave after this (which needs parliaments permission to even have that vote which won't happen) is like saying after a remain vote I would have voted out if I had known we were going to take our share of Syrian migrants in the eu.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending