The Student Room Group

Is this a sign that something is wrong with my lungs/airways?

I'm studying a healthcare course, currently studying oxygen and we all had a go at the peak flow reader My class mates were getting readings of 450 to 500 but I couldn't get higher than 300 even with using good technique. I tried several times and got between 270 to 300. A lad who has asthma was getting over 400.

I'm female but still all the females got much higher than me. I've never been diagnosed with asthma but I do have chronic rhinitis/nasal polyps condition which started when I was 19 but as far as I know my lungs have always been fine. I go running/do interval sessions with no probs although I am always at the back and get poor times/don't have the stamina the others have. I don't feel like I have problems breathing though, a few people have said that I was wheezing when running but I just hear myself breathing loud I feel ok.

Should I be worried about a peak flow of this low as a female ?
Reply 1
The readings you get on a peak flow meter depend on height as well as gender. It could be something to worry about, but 450-500 sounds quite high.

That's what I get and I've been playing the trumpet for 13 years. What did the peak flow meter look like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
when you do your peak flow you shouldve had a chart to go with it, the measurement is supposed to be lower for shorter people so its probably nothing to worry about
Reply 3
Original post by Katty3
The readings you get on a peak flow meter depend on height as well as gender. It could be something to worry about, but 450-500 sounds quite high.

That's what I get and I've been playing the trumpet for 13 years. What did the peak flow meter look like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the past when I've tried it others around me have got over 450 - 500. The peak flow is usually a white tube with a red mouthpiece and metre going up which gives you the result. I'm 5ft1 in height.
Reply 4
Original post by BlueIsTheNewRed
when you do your peak flow you shouldve had a chart to go with it, the measurement is supposed to be lower for shorter people so its probably nothing to worry about

Yea but even for my height it is low I should be getting 418 according to the peak flow leaflet and I struggle to get 300.
Go and see your GP. There may not be anything wrong but that's a pretty low peak flow reading and if you're struggling occasionally with other things then it's worth looking into. It could well be you wheeze more than you think as you don't notice it or it's just normal, not everyone with asthma/related conditions does anyway- I don't! Asthma can and does kill people though and even ignoring that a diagnosis and medication could make a huge difference to your quality of life so for the sake of a ten minute GP appointment then it's worth a check :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by furryface12
Go and see your GP. There may not be anything wrong but that's a pretty low peak flow reading and if you're struggling occasionally with other things then it's worth looking into. It could well be you wheeze more than you think as you don't notice it or it's just normal, not everyone with asthma/related conditions does anyway- I don't! Asthma can and does kill people though and even ignoring that a diagnosis and medication could make a huge difference to your quality of life so for the sake of a ten minute GP appointment then it's worth a check :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive been to the gp for loads of other little things over the past few years though and my tests always come back normal, i think he thinks im a bit over the top. Ive always done athletics and felt ok breathwise so he might find it a waste of time if i just go and say i got a low peak flow score but have no other symptoms.
Original post by Anonymous
Ive been to the gp for loads of other little things over the past few years though and my tests always come back normal, i think he thinks im a bit over the top. Ive always done athletics and felt ok breathwise so he might find it a waste of time if i just go and say i got a low peak flow score but have no other symptoms.

It's up to you but personally I think it's worth a try. It sounds like it could be affecting you more than you realise but obviously noone can tell by what you've written on the internet! You could always see a different GP if that bothers you. All that said, it could have just been a bad day if you've not done peak flow before/since so I wouldn't necessarily be too worried just by that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest