The Student Room Group

What are you dreading the most about University?

Scroll to see replies

Probably getting bad flatmates, getting lost or not making friends
Reply 41
I left university two years ago (I didn't like the course at all) and this year I enroled to a new university that isn't in my country. I like the course but I HATE the system (PBL). Althought this time I have great roommates I am not really integrated with the people of my faculty, because they're really different (pretty snob actually). So I get home every day sad and feeling like dropping out again... But I guess that would be worse :frown:
Original post by marco14196
The bitter reality that this country sends too many people to university, killing opportunity and indebting the young for life and that this great international fraud continues every day, swallowing more young people with its nefarious lies and false promises

That's pretty detailed :smile: The only problem is, many people go to university out of choice, so they have an idea that money will be tight/debt. But I do understand where you are coming form :smile:
Original post by cookiemonster15

shouldn't be a problem, takes time to getting used to a uni and making friends should be simple and bad flatmates maybe the uni will allow you to switch rooms if you truly hate them.

Original post by Ona27
I left university two years ago (I didn't like the course at all) and this year I enroled to a new university that isn't in my country. I like the course but I HATE the system (PBL). Althought this time I have great roommates I am not really integrated with the people of my faculty, because they're really different (pretty snob actually). So I get home every day sad and feeling like dropping out again... But I guess that would be worse :frown:

dont give up :biggrin: where you studying anyway?
Original post by cookiemonster15

I can't say that it won't be hard adjusting, because I wouldn't know. However, everyone will be in the same position :smile: so making friends shouldn't be as difficult as it officially seems :biggrin:

Original post by Ona27

I'm sorry to hear that :-/
Original post by QueenBee98
Ooohhhhh that sounds interesting :smile: Ah I'm sure you'll get it! Just look at me, for example, I didn't expect to get more than one and in the end all of them accepted me. Except for one, which declined it, then sent me an offer for another course, and then invited me for an interview as they now have more places :laugh: You can't win! :rofl:

No no not at all :smile: It does sound logical, but all that matters is your happiness :biggrin: That's good

I got offers for all of them though accept for the one I actually want to go to:rolleyes:
I think they want to see some of my film making before they acvept me but I haven't finished my media coursework yet lol
Original post by loveleest
I got offers for all of them though accept for the one I actually want to go to:rolleyes:
I think they want to see some of my film making before they acvept me but I haven't finished my media coursework yet lol

Aha I know a lot of people in that situation :biggrin: Don't rush it, just get as much done as possible of an outstanding quality and then you're good to go !
That can be easily prevented

Speak for yourself.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Speak for yourself.

:rofl:

No I shouldn't laugh at that! It's a serious issue
Reply 49
Original post by Jersey1993
shouldn't be a problem, takes time to getting used to a uni and making friends should be simple and bad flatmates maybe the uni will allow you to switch rooms if you truly hate them.

dont give up :biggrin: where you studying anyway?

I study in Maastricht :smile: Here they offer the Liberal Arts&Sciences programme, which is not common in Europe. Well, I hope I will get used to it! If not, I will try to transfer to another university, but I don't want to drop off again :smile:
i generally have pretty bad luck so all kinds of bad things could happen but the main two worries for me are:
1. flat mates (or equivalent) will be absolute hinderances (by that i mean idiots but i didn't want to swear as that would probs be breaking TSR rules) and make my life hell.
2. despite being one of (or the) nicest people i know, i generally have difficulty making friends. when i got to secondary school i wasnt doing anything nerdy or anything that annoys others, no one liked me for the first 2 years (2.5 to be a bit precise) ironically towards the end i was giving up with making friends coming up with valid points why they would just hinder my progress in life. but hey, then after i met my best friend now :smile: But yeh, back to the point, i can probably go without friends, it's just any group activities i will be doing (i aim for doing maths at uni, dont know specifically what though, just not statistics or mechanics based) i have to do all the work solo. i suppose if i take maths, there cant be TOO much maths work.
Subject side: 15 hours of lessons a week.

Social side: Having to share a room with someone I haven't even met.
Original post by Toasticide
i generally have pretty bad luck so all kinds of bad things could happen but the main two worries for me are:
1. flat mates (or equivalent) will be absolute hinderances (by that i mean idiots but i didn't want to swear as that would probs be breaking TSR rules) and make my life hell.
2. despite being one of (or the) nicest people i know, i generally have difficulty making friends. when i got to secondary school i wasnt doing anything nerdy or anything that annoys others, no one liked me for the first 2 years (2.5 to be a bit precise) ironically towards the end i was giving up with making friends coming up with valid points why they would just hinder my progress in life. but hey, then after i met my best friend now :smile: But yeh, back to the point, i can probably go without friends, it's just any group activities i will be doing (i aim for doing maths at uni, dont know specifically what though, just not statistics or mechanics based) i have to do all the work solo. i suppose if i take maths, there cant be TOO much maths work.

I think you might benefit from speaking to the people you're sharing with BEFORE you move in - one of my relatives did that and he knew/was friends with almost all of them before he even moved in :smile:

Bless you :smile: I'm sure they won't, they're in the same boat. Ah that's awesome! I was - in all honesty - the only person who was nice to one of my friends in primary school, this most likely being because one of them was jealous of her - and she has no end of friends now. You've just got to wait to meet the right people :biggrin: I dont thinkyou'll be doing much group work if you're doing maths, so you should be okay :smile:
I think you might benefit from speaking to the people you're sharing with BEFORE you move in - one of my relatives did that and he knew/was friends with almost all of them before he even moved in :smile:

Bless you :smile: I'm sure they won't, they're in the same boat. Ah that's awesome! I was - in all honesty - the only person who was nice to one of my friends in primary school, this most likely being because one of them was jealous of her - and she has no end of friends now. You've just got to wait to meet the right people :biggrin: I dont thinkyou'll be doing much group work if you're doing maths, so you should be okay :smile:

thanks :smile: actually, you gave better advice than a thread i made asking for advice on it, so i benefited quite a bit from that :biggrin:
Original post by similarBlank
Subject side: 15 hours of lessons a week.

Social side: Having to share a room with someone I haven't even met.

15 Hours is like, if it is spread out equally, 3 hours per day :smile:

I would suggest trying to get in contact with them before you move in - you can do that through the uni's page :biggrin: or even through their social media
Original post by Toasticide
thanks :smile: actually, you gave better advice than a thread i made asking for advice on it, so i benefited quite a bit from that :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: I'm glad that I could be of assistance :nyan:
Not meeting the offer for my university (Warwick A*AA)
Original post by kelvin1338
Not meeting the offer for my university (Warwick A*AA)

I think you can do it! :smile: Good luck! :ymca:
15 Hours is like, if it is spread out equally, 3 hours per day :smile:

I would suggest trying to get in contact with them before you move in - you can do that through the uni's page :biggrin: or even through their social media

Yeah, I just worked out that's actually less than I'm doing now! :biggrin: (Only by an hour but that's still an hour. I just wasn't sure because currently I do 18 hours one week and 13 hours the other, so 15 is actually good.)

And, I guess I could try to gt in contact with people. They still haven't opened up their accomodation applications though and TSR doesn't have a page for my uni. :frown:
I think you can do it! :smile: Good luck! :ymca:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending