The Student Room Group

Do I want to study Medicine any more?

Since I have been young, I have always been adamant that I will pursue a career in the sciences. In recent years I have wanted to pursue medicine as I think that environment would be a constant learning environment whilst helping contribute to my community (or others if I eventually move abroad). However, I seem to be stuck at a dead end with how I feel about pursuing this.
I have always been passionate about politics and from a recent meetup with students at Oxford University I thought that it could be possible for me to do a PPE degree, or another degree that is quite humanities based, which is a completely different route to what I have been studying for. Yet, I still have a strong passion for the sciences and love the subjects I'm studying at college (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics). So I am completely stuck as to what I'm supposed to do. Since I will have to start the UCAS process in a couple of months it is starting to worry me because of the varied deadlines depending on what degree I opt to study for.
If anyone is/has been in the same situation as me please help! Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mollyjoy1998
Since I have been young, I have always been adamant that I will pursue a career in the sciences. In recent years I have wanted to pursue medicine as I think that environment would be a constant learning environment whilst helping contribute to my community (or others if I eventually move abroad). However, I seem to be stuck at a dead end with how I feel about pursuing this.
I have always been passionate about politics and from a recent meetup with students at Oxford University I thought that it could be possible for me to do a PPE degree, or another degree that is quite humanities based, which is a completely different route to what I have been studying for. Yet, I still have a strong passion for the sciences and love the subjects I'm studying at college (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics). So I am completely stuck as to what I'm supposed to do. Since I will have to start the UCAS process in a couple of months it is starting to worry me because of the varied deadlines depending on what degree I opt to study for.
If anyone is/has been in the same situation as me please help! Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

If your heart is not completely set on Medicine then don't do it.
Reply 2
I'm having the same issue. My mother keeps on stressing on how I should become a doctor. It's just crazy. I kind of wanted to study medicine but started to have second thoughts. Just do what you think you should be doing. If you're not happy with it then I'm positive that you'll be complaining later on. From what you wrote, you seem to be passionate and genuinely interested in Politics. I want to study Modern Languages, as much as I have this part of me who still wants to pursue a career in Medicine, I don't think I'll be completely happy with it. It doesn't feel right.
Original post by maria.x
I'm having the same issue. My mother keeps on stressing on how I should become a doctor. It's just crazy. I kind of wanted to study medicine but started to have second thoughts. Just do what you think you should be doing. If you're not happy with it then I'm positive that you'll be complaining later on. From what you wrote, you seem to be passionate and genuinely interested in Politics. I want to study Modern Languages, as much as I have this part of me who still wants to pursue a career in Medicine, I don't think I'll be completely happy with it. It doesn't feel right.

Are you not worried about regretting your choice though? I feel like no matter what I choose I will always think "what if THAT happened..." and that ultimately I won't be 100% happy with what I choose.
Reply 4
Are you not worried about regretting your choice though? I feel like no matter what I choose I will always think "what if THAT happened..." and that ultimately I won't be 100% happy with what I choose.

I may study them both. I cannot be sure that I'll get a job if I study languages. But it will benefit me later on. I think that it may be the same for you. What do you imagine yourself doing?
Original post by maria.x
I may study them both. I cannot be sure that I'll get a job if I study languages. But it will benefit me later on. I think that it may be the same for you. What do you imagine yourself doing?

Well, if I pursue medicine I would want to go into dermatology since I find that branch of medicine more interesting. But since I've started considering other routes I honestly have no idea, because in all reality politics is a rough area to get into and there are so many untrustworthy people in the industry that would frustrate me, yet I'm not sure I could deal with the pressure and intensity of medical school (I understand university will be intense no matter what, but obviously medicine is one of the most rigorous subjects and it is a longer degree).
So I'm just really confused >.<
Reply 6
Well, if I pursue medicine I would want to go into dermatology since I find that branch of medicine more interesting. But since I've started considering other routes I honestly have no idea, because in all reality politics is a rough area to get into and there are so many untrustworthy people in the industry that would frustrate me, yet I'm not sure I could deal with the pressure and intensity of medical school (I understand university will be intense no matter what, but obviously medicine is one of the most rigorous subjects and it is a longer degree).

Dermatology is really tough. And yes I can understand. Maybe you could consult your career counselor? Just think through it once more. :smile:
Original post by maria.x
Dermatology is really tough. And yes I can understand. Maybe you could consult your career counselor? Just think through it once more. :smile:

Yeah I think that's probably a better idea. Will definitely have a conversation with her when I go back to college. Good luck with your decisions for uni! And thank you :biggrin:
Medicine, you dont wanna have regrets in life in future
Reply 9
Yeah I think that's probably a better idea. Will definitely have a conversation with her when I go back to college. Good luck with your decisions for uni! And thank you :biggrin:

My career counselor is British, from Manchester. I'm from Bahrain, I spoke to her once about my scholarship transcripts and that was it. I get very shy and I don't think I'll ask her about my confusions. Good luck to you too and it was a pleasure. Maybe you could update me later on? :smile:
The application process for medicine is way too depressing to do it if you're not completely set on medicine. It's depressing even when you are.

Have you done any work experience? Spending a week or two shadowing some doctors should go a long way in helping you to make up your mind...
Original post by Democracy
Have you done any work experience? Spending a week or two shadowing some doctors should go a long way in helping you to make up your mind...

I have some at my local hospital in July in a cardiology unit so hopefully it will be a good insight. But other than that I have nothing else planned
Original post by maria.x
My career counselor is British, from Manchester. I'm from Bahrain, I spoke to her once about my scholarship transcripts and that was it. I get very shy and I don't think I'll ask her about my confusions. Good luck to you too and it was a pleasure. Maybe you could update me later on? :smile:

Yes definitely! You'll have to let me know how things go with you too!
Original post by millieprime
The application process for medicine is way too depressing to do it if you're not completely set on medicine. It's depressing even when you are.

I applied for Oxford's summer school in January so I have a little bit of experience when it comes to writing a personal statement... But is it that stressful? 😰😱
Have you seen the Human Sciences course at Oxford? Modules span all the human sciences - physiology, sociology, anthropology, psychology, etc and there is lots of scope to develop your interests (e.g. become more humanities- or science-focussed) as the course progresses. www.ihs.ox.ac.uk.

Obviously the question really turns on whether or not you want to be a doctor. If you do, you might as well apply to medical school now. If you aren't sure, take some time (either a year out or a different course) to think through your options.
Reply 16
If you're not 100% in it, don't do it.

Choosing your career is one of the most important decisions that you will ever make.
What about picking up government and politics at AS next year? At least then, even if you do go to medical school, you have a relevant qualification to fall back on so you at least have an idea of the subject, so later in life you have more options regarding politics. You could even switch degrees?
I applied for Oxford's summer school in January so I have a little bit of experience when it comes to writing a personal statement... But is it that stressful? 😰😱

I don't know really, it was for me because I had 3 rejections and got my offer last, was so convinced I wasn't going to get to be able to do what I wanted to. But it was a nice relief to finally get the offer. It's just sad when all your friends who have worse grades than you are getting offers for other things and you're left with none, you just have to keep reminding yourself how competitive medicine is and how much it will pay off in the long run. if you really want to do it that is :wink:
Ignore the posters who are telling you about having to commit 100%. Medicine is a very versatile career path and there is plenty of scope to incorporate other subjects into your research and job. If you enjoy politics then consider going into public health, policy or health systems after you qualify as a doctor? Equally, there's a lot of interdisciplinary social science based research involving health and disease which is currently being done so the field there exists for collaboration if that is what you are into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending