The Student Room Group

Getting into medical School

Can someone please give me an advice on getting into medical school. I tried this year but I couldn't get in and was offered pharmacy with foundation year. So I was thinking since it is a general science with foundation year course, I am wondering if I could use that to further into medicine if I have good grades out of that???
Reply 1
Original post by Hesther01
Can someone please give me an advice on getting into medical school. I tried this year but I couldn't get in and was offered pharmacy with foundation year. So I was thinking since it is a general science with foundation year course, I am wondering if I could use that to further into medicine if I have good grades out of that???

I'm sorry to hear that. At what stage did you get rejections. Pre or post interview? Did you get any feedback?
I'm not sure about going from pharmacy to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry that you couldn't get in.

If you're sure you want to pursue Medicine, I think the best option would be to reject the Pharmacy offer, try your best to score AAA in your A-Levels (or equivalent in whatever you're doing), take a gap year and reapply. You could complete Pharmacy first before looking into GEM but that's even more competitive (and expensive) than this route, and I'm not too sure that it's the best idea to do a whole Pharmacy degree with a foundation year with the sole intention of getting into Medicine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by usycool1
Sorry that you couldn't get in.

If you're sure you want to pursue Medicine, I think the best option would be to reject the Pharmacy offer, try your best to score AAA in your A-Levels (or equivalent in whatever you're doing), take a gap year and reapply. You could complete Pharmacy first before looking into GEM but that's even more competitive (and expensive) than this route, and I'm not too sure that it's the best idea to do a whole Pharmacy degree with a foundation year with the sole intention of getting into Medicine.

This advice is solid. You should listen to this advice.
Re-applying although it didn't seem so at the time was one of the best decisions I made.
Managed to save up enough money from working to pay off my halls in one lump sum and had 5 k in my pocket for freshers week.
I met a lot of fantastic friends.
And it was way easier applying the second time knowing about ps review and the 600 q book and stuff.
If you want to do medicine.
Re-apply.
It's so much better/easier.
Reply 4
Original post by mliela
I'm sorry to hear that. At what stage did you get rejections. Pre or post interview? Did you get any feedback?
I'm not sure about going from pharmacy to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the pre interview
Reply 5
Original post by CpnCornetto
This advice is solid. You should listen to this advice.
Re-applying although it didn't seem so at the time was one of the best decisions I made.
Managed to save up enough money from working to pay off my halls in one lump sum and had 5 k in my pocket for freshers week.
I met a lot of fantastic friends.
And it was way easier applying the second time knowing about ps review and the 600 q book and stuff.
If you want to do medicine.
Re-apply.
It's so much better/easier.

Thanks so much, the problem is I didn't do A-levels, I did BTEC qualification in health and social care. With this I was thinking I could get into the medicine with foundation year but that was also not easy so I am feeling really bad right now😔😔😔
Thanks so much, the problem is I didn't do A-levels, I did BTEC qualification in health and social care. With this I was thinking I could get into the medicine with foundation year but that was also not easy so I am feeling really bad right now😔😔😔

Getting rejected from all your choices is a horrible feeling at the time, I felt like I had no chance ever at getting in.
However, as hindsight is 20/20 (or 6/6 or w/e) it's honestly one of the best things that happened to me, ever. It's just really hard to see at the time.
Reply 7
Getting rejected from all your choices is a horrible feeling at the time, I felt like I had no chance ever at getting in.
However, as hindsight is 20/20 (or 6/6 or w/e) it's honestly one of the best things that happened to me, ever. It's just really hard to see at the time.

Yeah thanks. So what did you do after getting rejected from all university
Yeah thanks. So what did you do after getting rejected from all university

Worked in microbiology for a year and as a HCA
re-applied to medicine in the uk and applied to Ireland.
Reply 9
Worked in microbiology for a year and as a HCA
re-applied to medicine in the uk and applied to Ireland.

Really 😳😳😳, did you get it???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending