The Student Room Group

Deriving P = IV

I have been trying to derive P=IV.

However, I can't find anything online. So, using the definition, I tried to do it myself. I'm not completely sure how close I am. (Probably no where near it lol) - But, if someone could please help, it would appreciated.
Original post by Higherdude
I have been trying to derive P=IV.

However, I can't find anything online. So, using the definition, I tried to do it myself. I'm not completely sure how close I am. (Probably no where near it lol) - But, if someone could please help, it would appreciated.

Differentiate line 2 in your working. Just simplify and don't multiply by dt.
Reply 2
Original post by morgan8002
Differentiate line 2 in your working. Just simplify and don't multiply by dt.

What do you mean?

So you skip to QV/T?
What do you mean?

So you skip to QV/T?

P=d(QV)dtP = \dfrac{d(QV)}{dt}, then simplify.

No. What's T?
Reply 4

No. What's T?

Mistype (was meant to be t) - Aw, I see it now! Thank you so much!
Also, can you do it the way i did it?

The way you did it is pointless P=d(QV)/dt=V(dQ/dt)+Q(dV/dt) P=d(QV)/dt = V(dQ/dt)+Q(dV/dt)
if the voltage is constant then dV/dt=0. The definition of I is dQ/dt. So P=IV

Assume P and I are constant. We can pull P out of the integral. We can also make the integrals definite rather than indefinite.
This gives P0Δtdt=0QVd(QV)P\displaystyle\int_0^{\Delta t} dt = \displaystyle\int_0^{QV}d(QV)'.
Then PΔt=QVP\Delta t = QV.
So P=QVΔt=IVP = \dfrac{QV}{\Delta t} = IV.

This argument isn't as general though since we had to assume that I and P were constant. It's also more work. Algebra and/or differentiation are often the way to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

Has anyone done Advanced Higher Physics and could confirm this would be enough for the mathematics part of my underlying physics (in my project report) for this individual experiment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone done Advanced Higher Physics and could confirm this would be enough for the mathematics part of my underlying physics (in my project report).

No I don't know, sorry. Hopefully someone who does will reply. There is a Scottish qualifications forum if you don't get any answers here.
Reply 9
No I don't know, sorry. Hopefully someone who does will reply. There is a Scottish qualifications forum if you don't get any answers here.

Ye, I used it frequently last year haha.

Quick Reply