The Student Room Group

Considering Computer Science at Uni?

Heya, I don't know anyone who is looking at Computer Science at uni and I wondered who else was looking at it and where you are looking at. No one at my school seems to know anything about so it would be great to be able to talk about the courses and Uni's with some like minded people :biggrin: Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me too!
Reply 2
Yay :biggrin: where are you looking at?
Reply 3
Original post by Samonia
Yay :biggrin: where are you looking at?

Edinburgh Glasgow St. Andrews Warwick Bristol so far... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Yammy
Edinburgh Glasgow St. Andrews Warwick Bristol so far... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking at Newcastle at the minute. I didn't take maths as an A-level so it narrows down my options a little.
I have firmed Warwick for Discrete maths but i want to change to either straight CS or systems engineering, can't decide. Not doing Maths does disadvantage you a bit, is it not possible to take up a full A level in one year? Or is maths not your thing? What are your grades/subjects?

The best Uni i can think of that doesn't require Maths is King's College London. Their requirements are:

Required grades: AAB

Required subjects At least one of: Mathematics, Computer Science, Electronics, Physics, Statistics or Software Systems Development. GCSE Maths grade B (or equivalent).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Bobjim12
I have firmed Warwick for Discrete maths but i want to change to either straight CS or systems engineering, can't decide. Not doing Maths does disadvantage you a bit, is it not possible to take up a full A level in one year? Or is maths not your thing? What are your grades/subjects?

The best Uni i can think of that doesn't require Maths is King's College London. Their requirements are:

Required grades: AAB

Required subjects At least one of: Mathematics, Computer Science, Electronics, Physics, Statistics or Software Systems Development. GCSE Maths grade B (or equivalent).

My school doesn't offer most of those. Newcastle doesn't need Maths at A level that why i chose it and the course looks really good :smile: I think it will put my at a disadvantage but I'm going to try to make sure i know things about programming so that it wont matter. I got an A at GCSE so hopefully that will help. I didn't realise that CS looked so interesting to do until it was too late for subject changes.
I am currently studying Computer Science at uni, during the first year a lot of people changed course or dropped out because it wasn't for them (there is definitely a lack of communication about what the subject entails).

Ultimately, Computer Science is an applied form of maths, similar to engineering in that sense. If you don't enjoy maths then its unlikely you'll enjoy CS.

If you are really interested in taking the subject, have you considered waiting a year and getting Maths A level as it will really open up your options?
Reply 8
Original post by JustaSpork
I am currently studying Computer Science at uni, during the first year a lot of people changed course or dropped out because it wasn't for them (there is definitely a lack of communication about what the subject entails).

Ultimately, Computer Science is an applied form of maths, similar to engineering in that sense. If you don't enjoy maths then its unlikely you'll enjoy CS.

If you are really interested in taking the subject, have you considered waiting a year and getting Maths A level as it will really open up your options?

I cant drop another year, i've already had to drop once and my sixth form wont allow you to do only one subject. What kind of things does the course entail?
Original post by Samonia
My school doesn't offer most of those. Newcastle doesn't need Maths at A level that why i chose it and the course looks really good :smile: I think it will put my at a disadvantage but I'm going to try to make sure i know things about programming so that it wont matter. I got an A at GCSE so hopefully that will help. I didn't realise that CS looked so interesting to do until it was too late for subject changes.

Exactly how much math is really used in CompSci?

What about a course such as this one https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/243/computer-science wherein they accept people from various non-STEM, non-math backgrounds and teach them programming?

How much mathematics is really used in Computer Science outside of the academic theory, when you get a job in technology/computing? Can you do it without maths?
Reply 10

Is computer sci similar in the sense that you are taught one method of solving a problem and you do the exact same thing in the exam like maths at GCSE/A-level?

What subjects did you take at A level?
Original post by Samonia

I don't want to say maths isn't needed to do Computer Science, but it is heavily-maths based, so you will initially find it harder than your coursemates who have done maths (and indeed further maths).

However, I would not discourage you to go for it. It is an exciting course with great prospects, not just with jobs but with skills gained (more than just programming).

What I would suggest however, is during that long summer you'll get after A2 exams, is to read up on A level maths, and if you want further maths, and try to learn a few concepts. This will also help as your first year will (at Newcastle anyway) have at least one maths module, which will pick out some relevant concepts from A level.

You don't need any programming experience but if you do it will help you understand the theory that is taught alongside the practical (and thus not so mindboggling!)
Reply 12
That's really helpful, thank you :biggrin: is the course heavily maths based? Or is it more maths with a point and reason to why you have to learn it? are you at Newcastle yourself?
Computer Science is very mathematical in some regards, but you don't need to be brilliant at maths to be a good programmer. On the other hand, I think a lot of the benefit of a CS degree is learning the mathematical theoretical aspects that are difficult to teach yourself - if you have no interest in that and just want to get a job as a programmer, consider the option of teaching yourself a programming language and going straight into work (avoiding the massive debt from a degree). Looking at that Kent course, it seems to be quite light on theory. That certainly doesn't mean it is less valuable to employers, or less interesting, but in my opinion doing too many courses like "Advanced x programming language" - that's the kind of thing you can teach yourself or learn on a job.
Courses aren't standardised, but the first year for the course I'm on (at York):

1. you learn to program in Python and Java
2. learn fairly comprehensively the evolution of hardware (from the Difference Engine (a mechanical computer) up to current transistor based designs.
3. maths, all applicable to CS in some way. Started off with logical predicates, moved onto state machines, then more "pure" mathematics involving partial differentiation, matrices, eigenvalues etc.
4. Theory behind programming and algorithms, (effectively more maths) looking at how to store information (arrays, binary search trees, hash tables), complexity (Big O notation), sorting algorithms, path finding algorithms.
5. I doubt most courses do this, but looking at electronics, how to design circuits, and eventually implement/build them.(involves a bit of raspberry pi programming) This is so you have the option to work with micro controllers in later years.
6. There was a module on how to document and design a product for a user, it was not particularly computer science-y but I can see that they want to make us employable by the end so it has to be taught at some point.

@William Pitt

Programming and Computer Science are not the same thing. I think this is why a lot of people have the wrong ideas about the course. If you want to be a decent work as a programmer/ in the technology field then you don't need to do CS, there are other courses out there, I'll try and look for some after I post this, but people with CS are desired because the tough stuff requires you be good at problem solving. If you want to be really good at programming, then you need to be really good at this problem solving side, which often requires maths (and depending on the problem, complicated maths).
Reply 15
Thank you so much this is so helpful :biggrin: I'm sorry for bugging you with questions but my school knows nothing about any of this! What is the difference between computer science and programming ?
Reply 16

Hi is it mostly discrete maths like proofs etc? I quite enjoy maths, but hopefully there will also be more focus on projects and programming...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Samonia
That's really helpful, thank you :biggrin: is the course heavily maths based? Or is it more maths with a point and reason to why you have to learn it? are you at Newcastle yourself?

I am not, but i just searched up the course and it lists its modules, looking at the maths module, its about 50% A level maths and the rest new stuff. The reason Unis require it is that the skills required to do A level maths are the foundation of solving CS problems.
Original post by Rajive
Is computer sci similar in the sense that you are taught one method of solving a problem and you do the exact same thing in the exam like maths at GCSE/A-level?

What subjects did you take at A level?

For the maths exams, yes, but that's more a problem with the way exams work in my opinion. The thing is, it's far more useful to be able to apply it in the real world, than use it to answer a textbook question, and when it comes to the programming side, that's when you get to practically use it.

I took Maths, Physics and Further Maths.

@William Pitt

Took a look, and most of the programming degrees seemed to be tied to video games, but there are a few that focus on web development.

@Samonia

It's funny you should ask, because every uni that asked for an interview asked that question.

Computer Science, is a science (like the name suggests :tongue:). Like with any science it's about understanding how and why things work, as well as applying that information.

Programming in it's simplest form, is giving some commands, to achieve a goal. You are effectively programming someone when you give them directions to their destination and they follow them. The relationship is the same when you give computer commands by writing a programme, and it executes them.

The difference is programming is only the application of the science. Think of it in terms of a builder and a drill. The builder does not understand how the mechanics of the drills finest details works, but they can still be bloody good at using a drill.
Original post by Yammy
Hi is it mostly discrete maths like proofs etc? I quite enjoy maths, but hopefully there will also be more focus on projects and programming...

Posted from TSR Mobile

In first year, they are trying to get everyone up to speed, because people come from very varied backgrounds. But I've found there's a focus towards the projects and programming. In the second year of the York course, you spend 6 months working on a programming project in a group and third year you have your own solo project iirc.

Edit: Sorry missed the first bit out:

Discrete maths is rather a large field... in terms of A level maths modules, in the first year at York you will only go slightly further than FP1.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending