The Student Room Group

Should I be annoyed... my brother got all the attention on my birthday

Today was my birthday and I am 17. It would have been nice to have a conversation with my family and family friends about what I was up to and what my plans were for the future, seeing as I'm ignored every other day. I am not even bothered about presents. It would just be nice for people to be more considerate and for maybe me to have a say in what we are having for tea or for someone other than me to make the cups of tea for a change. It would have been nice for my dad to turn his phone of as well.

But no. Today has been all about my older brother. He won a sporting event and this has been all anyone has talked about. My parents come in my room only to ask me to find stuff on the internet about him. I don't know why I am so surprised.

Am I being unreasonable? My parents bigged it up about how great my birthday was going to be and I don't even get my own cake. I'm seriously upset. I don't know why I have a birthday, it would be easier if it was just ignored by everyone, like I am every other day a part from when they want something.
Just a birthday bro chill theres more to life than that

Also maybe they feel you're ignoring them too , have you tried talking to them?
Reply 2
You're damn right you should be annoyed, if they're going to big it up they better follow through with that promise.
Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!
At least you have parents.
Original post by Anonymous
Today was my birthday and I am 17. It would have been nice to have a conversation with my family and family friends about what I was up to and what my plans were for the future, seeing as I'm ignored every other day. I am not even bothered about presents. It would just be nice for people to be more considerate and for maybe me to have a say in what we are having for tea or for someone other than me to make the cups of tea for a change. It would have been nice for my dad to turn his phone of as well.

But no. Today has been all about my older brother. He won a sporting event and this has been all anyone has talked about. My parents come in my room only to ask me to find stuff on the internet about him. I don't know why I am so surprised.

Am I being unreasonable? My parents bigged it up about how great my birthday was going to be and I don't even get my own cake. I'm seriously upset. I don't know why I have a birthday, it would be easier if it was just ignored by everyone, like I am every other day a part from when they want something.

Heyyy! Chin up! It's never a good thing to live in the shadow of a sibling but I believe that there's something great about you too! You need to discover your own hidden talents. Maybe you should talk to them about how you feel? Maybe that's the best way to approach the situation?
Sending you Bday wishes and hugs :h:
Reply 6
Maybe I shouldn't have expected so much on a Friday evening.
Reply 7
Thanks you seem like a very pleasant person :-) I write music and have success on YouTube but they just don't seem to care. I guess the less attention I have the less pressure I have. I have tried talking to them about how everything is around my brother but I just get ignored. My brother can get very violent so I think they wait on him hand and foot because they're scared of him.
Original post by Stem_Student
Heyyy! Chin up! It's never a good thing to live in the shadow of a sibling but I believe that there's something great about you too! You need to discover your own hidden talents. Maybe you should talk to them about how you feel? Maybe that's the best way to approach the situation?
Sending you Bday wishes and hugs :h:
Reply 8
Thanks sibling anon :-)
Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!
happens all the time....my family especially....

im the best looking in my family and friends too...so im told

i always get attention everywhere from everybody

thats actually how i got this name

a girl told me i was latin beauty lmao
Thanks you seem like a very pleasant person :-) I write music and have success on YouTube but they just don't seem to care. I guess the less attention I have the less pressure I have. I have tried talking to them about how everything is around my brother but I just get ignored. My brother can get very violent so I think they wait on him hand and foot because they're scared of him.

I suppose that's not always a bad thing if they don't pressure you? Not as much stress? I'd do anything to have my parents give me a break about revising! Maybe they think you're alright and they don't need to worry about you as such seeing as you're the "good kid"?
Reply 11
Happy Birthday mate :smile:

Don't let this get to you - take it as an opportunity to be strong!
A birthday is a ridiculous thing to celebrate. He deserves praise, you do not

I don't know if your a dude or a girl, but to me it sounds like a big part of your identity is with your family.....If you get me? You need to separate yourself from them. Don't get me wrong they care and love you and ****. Chin up. You'll mature and you'll find YOUR own way in life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending