The Student Room Group

Medical School

Hello everyone, I'm thinking about going into medical school in later years I just need to know what kind of GCSE and A Levels grades I will need. (I'm thinking about doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for A Levels)
Original post by zXcodeXz
Hello everyone, I'm thinking about going into medical school in later years I just need to know what kind of GCSE and A Levels grades I will need. (I'm thinking about doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for A Levels)

Hey, to get to medical school you will need really good grades at GCSE and A-Level and by good i mean A's and A*'s. You will also need work experience as this will help you when it comes to the interview as you will have something to talk about. For A-Level you don't need to do all three science's. I would personally do biology, Chemistry, Maths and something else for a change like history or a language.

Hope I was able to help :smile:
Original post by the-future-medic
Hey, to get to medical school you will need really good grades at GCSE and A-Level and by good i mean A's and A*'s. You will also need work experience as this will help you when it comes to the interview as you will have something to talk about. For A-Level you don't need to do all three science's. I would personally do biology, Chemistry, Maths and something else for a change like history or a language.

Hope I was able to help :smile:

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

That's okay :h:

For GCSE you'll want to get mostly As and A*s, but it's not the end of the world if it's not a clean sweep and you have the odd B/C/whatever else thrown in. As long as you nail your english, maths, and sciences you should be fine (some unis consider GCSEs more heavily than others, but it's just a case of applying strategically once you get to that point. In any case, none of the unis I've seen look past your top 9 as long as the core subjects are included in that number).

Those A level choices are fine - you've got the bio and chem that will keep all your options open in terms of unis. A word of warning if you're choosing maths and physics because you think you 'need' them - you don't, unless you're thinking of applying to Cambridge (AFAIK). If you think you might struggle for any reason it's best to pick subjects you like (but if that's the reason you've chosen them anyway, then by all means go ahead :biggrin:). The grades you'll need for A level will be your standard AAA and upwards - but this depends on where you apply.

Good luck with everything! :smile:
Original post by lightwoXd
For GCSE you'll want to get mostly As and A*s, but it's not the end of the world if it's not a clean sweep and you have the odd B/C/whatever else thrown in. As long as you nail your english, maths, and sciences you should be fine (some unis consider GCSEs more heavily than others, but it's just a case of applying strategically once you get to that point. In any case, none of the unis I've seen look past your top 9 as long as the core subjects are included in that number).

Those A level choices are fine - you've got the bio and chem that will keep all your options open in terms of unis. A word of warning if you're choosing maths and physics because you think you 'need' them - you don't, unless you're thinking of applying to Cambridge (AFAIK). If you think you might struggle for any reason it's best to pick subjects you like (but if that's the reason you've chosen them anyway, then by all means go ahead :biggrin:). The grades you'll need for A level will be your standard AAA and upwards - but this depends on where you apply.

Good luck with everything! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending