The Student Room Group

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlteredBoy
You don't actually believe this, do you?

As it is so implausible, would you like to offer an alternative explanation?
Original post by danwbell
As it is so implausible, would you like to offer an alternative explanation?

Vilain or Guarramilon (I don't recall which one) found that an exposure to abnormal chemicals in the womb had an adverse effect on the development of gender. The other one found that the BSTc region of the brain mirrored the gender they identified as, not what they were assigned at birth
Vilain or Guarramilon (I don't recall which one) found that an exposure to abnormal chemicals in the womb had an adverse effect on the development of gender. The other one found that the BSTc region of the brain mirrored the gender they identified as, not what they were assigned at birth

Your assumption that a region of the brain can determine 'which gender someone identifies with' suggests innate, biological mechanisms which determine whether someone wants to wear a skirt or trousers? Really?

'Gender'*** is an entirely social construct, how can a biological factor influence 'gender identity' when in reality it is an entirely arbitrary and man made thing?

*** By this I mean the stereotyped associated behaviours and norms of each gender, not a person's biological sex.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by danwbell
Your assumption that a region of the brain can determine 'which gender someone identifies with' suggests innate, biological mechanisms which determine whether someone wants to wear a skirt or trousers? Really?

'Gender'*** is an entirely social construct, how can a biological factor influence 'gender identity' when in reality it is an entirely arbitrary and man made thing?

*** By this I mean the stereotyped associated behaviours and norms of each gender, not a person's biological sex.

Society enforces gender roles, not gender. A person is trans if they have gender dysphoria, a mental condition, so there has to be a biological influence of some sort
Society enforces gender roles, not gender. A person is trans if they have gender dysphoria, a mental condition, so there has to be a biological influence of some sort

No, it is a cognitive distortion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
No, it is a cognitive distortion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either way its still a neurological thing?
There has been gender divisions since time began - according to the education I've received anyway - why are some people determined to turn us into a generation of 'its'? My other question is -if gender is a social construct, why do we have hormones that define gender specific tasks for example women wider pelvis designed for child bearing and men a skeletal structure that is in general terms stronger and larger than a females?
Either way its still a neurological thing?

In that case so is racism

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't read this entire thread and so I apologise for my ignorance, but men who've transformed into women (but still have a willy), normally, which toilets do they use?
Original post by paul514
In that case so is racism

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you just compare being trans to being racist?

Just want to clarify that you can be trans without having dysphoria!
Original post by DougallnDougall
There has been gender divisions since time began - according to the education I've received anyway - why are some people determined to turn us into a generation of 'its'?

I don't think many people necessarily want a 'generation of "its"'! Just because there have been gender divisions historically most certainly doesn't mean that they're a good thing. Depends what you mean by 'divisions' I guess.

My other question is -if gender is a social construct, why do we have hormones that define gender specific tasks for example women wider pelvis designed for child bearing and men a skeletal structure that is in general terms stronger and larger than a females?

I don't think any of those things affects whether we should view gender as a social construct, as they tend to be associated with assigned sex instead. Still, even considering sex alone, some men have wider pelvises than some women and some women have stronger and larger frames than some men!
Did you just compare being trans to being racist?

You said it was biologically linked I said it was cognitive distortion then you said either way it's neurologically linked.

I said in that case so is racism, I could have used homophobia or any other number of terms.

The point is you are talking about the heart of a debate that is never ending does a chemical cause a thought or a thought cause a chemical.

The chemical is biological and the thought is cognition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SomaliSodomy
They should accommodate them by putting them in mental asylums.

what a ridiculous suggestion
To be perfectly honest, I don't even understand why this is a question. Trans people are a member of our society and of course they should be accommodated for.
I'd say more rational and just. We shouldn't encourage mental illness or sick sexual perversions.

You have no place in society with these sorts of opinions. They are unbelievably damaging. Have some respect.
I'd say more rational and just. We shouldn't encourage mental illness or sick sexual perversions.

please tell me this is a joke lol. have you actually thought about this at all?

Transgenderism is not a recognised mental illness, and often has nothing to do with sexuality. To be honest I think your opinion is thoroughly perverse.
Cry more limp wrist. What are you going to do to stop me from telling the truth? Beat me up?

You're not telling the truth. You are expressing an opinion. Get it right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cry more limp wrist. What are you going to do to stop me from telling the truth? Beat me up?

No, just show everyone publicly how irrational and disgusting your views are.

No? Because I have more respect than you, for one reason. You are not telling the truth - you are voicing an opinion that you are perfectly entitled to but here's a great suggestion: keep it to yourself. You are ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending