The Student Room Group

Memorising Shakespeare Quotes

Exam: AQA English Literature.
Level: AS

So many quotes, so little time.

I've written out the quotes that I think are relevant enough, and there are about 200 in total. I should probably go through again and filter out the unnecessary ones. Keeping in mind it's a 5 Act play :s

Advice? Tips?

Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What level is this?

I got through AQA English A level with about 4 quotes per writer (in one exam merely 3 quotes overall and I hoped something that fit them came up)

So you're over doing it, it's much more important to learn how to independently analyse and compare texts on the spot, and write to the specification.
Original post by banterboy
What level is this?

I got through AQA English A level with about 4 quotes per writer (in one exam merely 3 quotes overall and I hoped something that fit them came up)

So you're over doing it, it's much more important to learn how to independently analyse and compare texts on the spot, and write to the specification.

My teachers have told that the A/A* essays tend to include on average about 30-35 quotes.

Thanks for your input.
Original post by maggiedavies
My teachers have told that the A/A* essays tend to include on average about 30-35 quotes.

Thanks for your input.

Really? I got my A. But then again I do excel at the subject; certianly not many others in my class worked as little as me.

I'm gobsmacked at how one could analyse 30 quotes to an A* standard. I did two-4 quotes a paragraph and they were big paragraphs. DO what your teachers say though.
Really? I got my A. But then again I do excel at the subject; certianly not many others in my class worked as little as me.

I'm gobsmacked at how one could analyse 30 quotes to an A* standard. I did two-4 quotes a paragraph and they were big paragraphs. DO what your teachers say though.

Yeah it's crazy. Sometimes I question the advice given to me by my teachers but then again they got me an A at GCSE.
One teachers tells me now, for AS, to spend AT LEAST 5 hours per essay, and that they should be about 3 pages long in small font; despite only having 45 minutes in the actual exam = 1hr 30min for 2 essays. Almost impossible to analyse 30 quotes as well as including context, criticism, etc.

I guess all I can do is try. Thanks again!

Thanks for your input.

30-35 quotes?! :redface: I got an A in AS and definitely did not use anywhere near 35 quotes, you do not need that many. :biggrin:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
30-35 quotes?! :redface: I got an A in AS and definitely did not use anywhere near 35 quotes, you do not need that many. :biggrin:
Thanks. Anyhow, how did you manage to memorise quotes in general?
I storted them out into different themes - they do not expect you to remember whole quotes - remember phrases. The best practise is doing essay plans without using quotes... I'm sure you'll know loads. Also what helps is working together with a course friend when doing essay plans - helps so much and you're more likely to remember it
Yeah it's crazy. Sometimes I question the advice given to me by my teachers but then again they got me an A at GCSE.
One teachers tells me now, for AS, to spend AT LEAST 5 hours per essay, and that they should be about 3 pages long in small font; despite only having 45 minutes in the actual exam = 1hr 30min for 2 essays. Almost impossible to analyse 30 quotes as well as including context, criticism, etc.

I guess all I can do is try. Thanks again!

This is *******s, practise writing to time ASAP with neat not small hand writing.
Original post by samina_ay
I storted them out into different themes - they do not expect you to remember whole quotes - remember phrases. The best practise is doing essay plans without using quotes... I'm sure you'll know loads. Also what helps is working together with a course friend when doing essay plans - helps so much and you're more likely to remember it

Thanks!

So besides imbedding them into essays. Did you ever like, walk around the house with a list of quotes in your hand, reciting them to yourself? Or is that just me? And I feel like it's not working ... -_-
If you do not learn to write in timed conditions, AQA will **** you like a bitch.
This is *******s, practise writing to time ASAP with neat not small hand writing.

Keep in mind that we all hand in our essays typed - so 3 pages on size 12 within 5 hrs.

I've been told we're gonna practice the whole exam when we return after half term which will be good, but in the meantime I might write up some essays and time myself. :smile:
Thanks. Anyhow, how did you manage to memorise quotes in general?

I'm afraid I didn't have a set method, I just read and some quotes stuck out for me, particularly Shakespeare pieces. :colondollar: My friend used flashcards though, just wrote some quotes down and read them whenever she had time spare and it seemed to work well. Try to categorise your quotes, it should mean you will have to learn less quotes as it is more focussed. :smile:
I'm afraid I didn't have a set method, I just read and some quotes stuck out for me, particularly Shakespeare pieces. :colondollar: My friend used flashcards though, just wrote some quotes down and read them whenever she had time spare and it seemed to work well. Try to categorise your quotes, it should mean you will have to learn less quotes as it is more focussed. :smile:

Cheers! :biggrin:
Cheers! :biggrin:

No problem, good luck with the exam. :smile:
No problem, good luck with the exam. :smile:

Thank you!

I've been told we're gonna practice the whole exam when we return after half term which will be good, but in the meantime I might write up some essays and time myself. :smile:

:sigh:

Get doing past papers on your own, your teachers have ****ed up here. 45 mins to write 3-4 pages (hand written) is not easy.
:sigh:

Get doing past papers on your own, your teachers have ****ed up here. 45 mins to write 3-4 pages (hand written) is not easy.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Thanks!
What level is this?

You ****ing genius.

But how did you pick out those specific 4 quotes per writer? Just an educated guess?

If you do not learn to write in timed conditions, AQA will **** you like a bitch.

This is the truth ^
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
You ****ing genius.

But how did you pick out those specific 4 quotes per writer? Just an educated guess?

This is the truth ^

Just what i could remember. I lost my focus at A2. I don't recommend anyone revise like i did for A2 lol. Luckily 3 modernist text and a metaphysical text came up in the exam, and I happened to like those things.

You in year 13?

Quick Reply

Latest