The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Terry Tibbs
Okay, where to start. For one, you have only experienced one of the MANY courses there and you think that this gives you the authority to advise EVERYONE thinking of going there not to. If you don't speak for the majority of current and past students of the law department, you certainly don't speak for every student's experience of their respective department. I highly doubt that for example, their Physics department (for which I a student of) that has been ranked as far as top 3 in Europe, has A*A*A A level entry reqs, is one of the leading departments in the world for physics research, is as you imply a **** department. Honestly, you deserve all the rudeness you're getting.

Your "analysis" of the Law department and its rep is false. Lets have a look at the rankings shall we: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2016/law-legal-studies#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search= 11th, https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2016/subject-ranking/social-sciences-0#!/page/0/length/25/country/469/sort_by/rank_label/sort_order/asc/cols/rank_only 7th, http://www.shanghairanking.com/FieldSOC2015.html 6th, http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/united-kingdom/social-sciences-public-health?page=2 8th, meanwhile SOAS is nowhere to be found. Its a top 10 uni for Law and in general which you will find plenty of rankings confirming, these people and your parents/sister whom laugh at you are evidently uneducated on what are and are not reputable/respected unis. If as you are claiming it as seen as such a poor uni for law, why would that make it overrated?

Finally, here we have the strangest part of it all http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64022701&highlight=. If you don't want anyone to go to Manchester, why then would you tell someone asking where to go for computer science of all things with "University of Manchester"? Lol, so odd, so very very odd.

Firstly, no one "deserves" rudeness. I have a right to express my opinion on what I think about my university as do you and everyone else on this forum! Please get that through your thick head.

The rankings you are referring to are the international ones and not the domestic/national ones so there is a bit of inconsistency there in terms of law rankings. Yes, SOAS isn't in the top ten or whatever but it's well respected at my work place etc etc and that's why I wish I had gone there instead.

FYI, I never called the physics department 'shitty'. So get your facts straight!

Lastly, thanks for stalking me on other threads as well!! I don't owe anyone an explanation as to what I have written here or on any other threads! So now you can put your head back in your ass or wherever it was before. Bye!!
Okay, where to start. For one, you have only experienced one of the MANY courses there and you think that this gives you the authority to advise EVERYONE thinking of going there not to. If you don't speak for the majority of current and past students of the law department, you certainly don't speak for every student's experience of their respective department. I highly doubt that for example, their Physics department (for which I a student of) that has been ranked as far as top 3 in Europe, has A*A*A A level entry reqs, is one of the leading departments in the world for physics research, is as you imply a **** department. Honestly, you deserve all the rudeness you're getting.

Someone trying to sound smart with their use of prepositions and not quite succeeding.
Original post by Scruffyjoe
Firstly, no one "deserves" rudeness. I have a right to express my opinion on what I think about my university as do you and everyone else on this forum! Please get that through your thick head.
You deserve rudeness in the same way a troll deserves rudeness, something that I'm beginning to suspect you are considering how irrational you are being. You have the right to express your opinion, I have the right to explain why your opinion holds no merit, it's a pretty simple concept.

The rankings you are referring to are the international ones and not the domestic/national ones so there is a bit of inconsistency there in terms of law rankings. Yes, SOAS isn't in the top ten or whatever but it's well respected at my work place etc etc and that's why I wish I had gone there instead.
Domestic rankings are largely inaccurate and inconsistent, it doesn't take a minute to realise how messed up they are after having a look at them. You're never going to make any reliable conclusion from them, which is why international rankings are the only real thing to go off if anything. Besides, why as an international student would you be going off domestic rankings? That literally makes no sense.

FYI, I never called the physics department 'shitty'. So get your facts straight!

Lastly, thanks for stalking me on other threads as well!! I don't owe anyone an explanation as to what I have written here or on any other threads! So now you can put your head back in your ass or wherever it was before. Bye!!

Do you suffer from short term memory loss? Have a look back at your earlier posts where you **** on the entire university, as if to use your experiences and infer that they must be the same for everyone. I merely provided the Physics dept as an example.

Stalking? LOL, get a grip, I came across you on that thread and found your post rather contradictory to your argument, hence the suspicion of trollness.

Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Someone trying to sound smart with their use of prepositions and not quite succeeding.
Someone trying to be witty by making quips over a typo, because pointing out typos isn't considered a pastime for special people trying to be smart.
Someone trying to be witty by making quips over a typo, because pointing out typos isn't considered a pastime for special people trying to be smart.

I didn't realise "a" was a preposition.
I didn't realise "a" was a preposition.

And another one adds me to their ignore list. I am starting to question whether it's me or them?

Remember, kids. Don't start belittling people if you don't know what a preposition is. It might cause you to rage from cognitive dissonance and ban your fellow TSRians.
You deserve rudeness in the same way a troll deserves rudeness, something that I'm beginning to suspect you are considering how irrational you are being. You have the right to express your opinion, I have the right to explain why your opinion holds no merit, it's a pretty simple concept.

Domestic rankings are largely inaccurate and inconsistent, it doesn't take a minute to realise how messed up they are after having a look at them. You're never going to make any reliable conclusion from them, which is why international rankings are the only real thing to go off if anything. Besides, why as an international student would you be going off domestic rankings? That literally makes no sense.

Do you suffer from short term memory loss? Have a look back at your earlier posts where you **** on the entire university, as if to use your experiences and infer that they must be the same for everyone. I merely provided the Physics dept as an example.

Stalking? LOL, get a grip, I came across you on that thread and found your post rather contradictory to your argument, hence the suspicion of trollness.

Honestly, if someone needs to be dealt with rudely it's you. I don't know why you think I'm a troll when I'm merely stating my opinion and sharing my experience of that stupid university.
If anyone's a troll, I think it's you. I guess you like to pick fights and that too anonymously from behind a computer screen like a coward.

just look around on TSR alone and you will find millions of threads and posts dissing Manchester, are they all trolls as well? I don't think so. Manchester really isn't as good as people like you and the people running the uni make it out to be, hence why I think it's overrated.

I hope you can be a bit more liberal and agree to disagree I guess.
And another one adds me to their ignore list. I am starting to question whether it's me or them?

Remember, kids. Don't start belittling people if you don't know what a preposition is. It might cause you to rage from cognitive dissonance and ban your fellow TSRians.
You got me bro, you totally got me.

Honestly, if someone needs to be dealt with rudely it's you. I don't know why you think I'm a troll when I'm merely stating my opinion and sharing my experience of that stupid university.If anyone's a troll, I think it's you. I guess you like to pick fights and that too anonymously from behind a computer screen like a coward.just look around on TSR alone and you will find millions of threads and posts dissing Manchester, are they all trolls as well? I don't think so. Manchester really isn't as good as people like you and the people running the uni make it out to be, hence why I think it's overrated.I hope you can be a bit more liberal and agree to disagree I guess.
You got me bro, you totally got me.

I know I did.
I know I did.

Honestly, if someone needs to be dealt with rudely it's you. I don't know why you think I'm a troll when I'm merely stating my opinion and sharing my experience of that stupid university.If anyone's a troll, I think it's you. I guess you like to pick fights and that too anonymously from behind a computer screen like a coward.just look around on TSR alone and you will find millions of threads and posts dissing Manchester, are they all trolls as well? I don't think so. Manchester really isn't as good as people like you and the people running the uni make it out to be, hence why I think it's overrated.I hope you can be a bit more liberal and agree to disagree I guess.

*sigh*, you're not just stating your opinion, you're trying to discourage people from going to a uni because you had a bad experience from a singular faculty inside the uni. How the hell does your experience from studying Law there have anything to do with someone else wanting to go into a completely unrelated course? How does some people that only you know saying they don't like the uni (for reasons unknown) mean nobody should go there? Do they know better than the countless people that study or have studied Law there who don't share your opinion? Someone's already given this to you:
6th best academic reputation in the UK
30th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
6th best employer reputation in the UK. 13th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
meanwhile you provided no form of facts as to why it isn't so good of a uni. All you do when presented with things like this is cry "I'm just stating my opinion" and play the victim game. I honestly don't know why you're finding it so hard to see why this is problematic.

Millions of threads dissing Manchester yeah okay, why not billions?
*sigh*, you're not just stating your opinion, you're trying to discourage people from going to a uni because you had a bad experience from a singular faculty inside the uni. How the hell does your experience from studying Law there have anything to do with someone else wanting to go into a completely unrelated course? How does some people that only you know saying they don't like the uni (for reasons unknown) mean nobody should go there? Do they know better than the countless people that study or have studied Law there who don't share your opinion? Someone's already given this to you:
6th best academic reputation in the UK
30th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
6th best employer reputation in the UK. 13th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
meanwhile you provided no form of facts as to why it isn't so good of a uni. All you do when presented with things like this is cry "I'm just stating my opinion" and play the victim game. I honestly don't know why you're finding it so hard to see why this is problematic.

Millions of threads dissing Manchester yeah okay, why not billions?

Yes you're right I honestly don't know why any of this is problematic. I think you're taking TSR a bit too seriously. Calm down! This isn't a court room where hard facts need to be presented. This is a casual forum where people like myself and you can have difference of opinions.

I have already explained as to why I think Manchester is overrated. There are many universities mentioned on this forum that people have dissed about. Does that dissuade people from going there? Not really. Even I wouldn't blindly listen to someone's opinion in a forum like TSR alone and think of not going to a particular uni. I would do my own research first. So yes, I really don't think this is problematic at all.

My opinion is specific to the law school yes, but Manchester on the whole has a pretty rubbish reputation. I maybe from a different country than the UK but i have lived here long enough to gauge what people think about Manchester and how it's stacked against other universities.

Even during my postgraduate (in uk as well) people asked me whether Manchester is any good? Maybe you had a good time and you enjoyed your course or you were probably happy with the low standard of education offered by Manchester (maybe that was beyond what you could have ever expected from uni) but not me. And that's where I think it's okay to have different opinions and disagree. I guess the only reason you're being so defensive is because I'm not the first person on this forum to diss Manchester. Seriously, calm down and move on.
Right I'll give you some facts:

I got accepted into the law program at Manchester with a BBC at A level when the enters level requirement is AAA. And I wasn't the only one in the entire batch.

In my school alone (not even in the uk btw) 18 people from my cohort were accepted into programs at Manchester. Literally every Tom dick and Harry ends up there. This was just in my year alone. Not to mention two of my neighbors went there as well. And again they were also average students

The law faculty (as previously mentioned) is average, not qualified enough.

The REF ranking for law is piss poor

The domestic league tables show its pretty bad

THE ranks it at no. 56 which isn't something to be proud of really.

Do you really need anymore facts??

I got accepted into the law program at Manchester with a BBC at A level when the enters level requirement is AAA. And I wasn't the only one in the entire batch.

In my school alone (not even in the uk btw) 18 people from my cohort were accepted into programs at Manchester. Literally every Tom dick and Harry ends up there. This was just in my year alone. Not to mention two of my neighbors went there as well. And again they were also average students

To be ranked 56th in the world is not something to be proud of? What on earth?
Reply 295
overrated : bristol

underrated : bath
Original post by carola
overrated : bristol

underrated : bath

Is that because you got rejected? :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester is a good top 20ish university in the UK with a reputation that broadly parallels SOAS.

SOAS is probably a better environment for an UG in terms of teaching quality. It however is relatively unknown largely owing to size, so Manchester probably offers better career prospects.

That said, in my field - International Development, it's up there with the best. However from experience, it is where master's students end up who have been turned away from Oxbridge, LSE and Sussex. Strong faculty that is worth studying at however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
To be ranked 56th in the world is not something to be proud of? What on earth?

It isn't something to be proud of when some Chinese universities are ranked above Manchester and you cannot help but think of how much money you could have saved by not going to Manchester and going for the Chinese ones instead.
Original post by Newcastle456
Manchester is a good top 20ish university in the UK with a reputation that broadly parallels SOAS.

SOAS is probably a better environment for an UG in terms of teaching quality. It however is relatively unknown largely owing to size, so Manchester probably offers better career prospects.

That said, in my field - International Development, it's up there with the best. However from experience, it is where master's students end up who have been turned away from Oxbridge, LSE and Sussex. Strong faculty that is worth studying at however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right. I guess but the universities have comparable reputation. SOAS maybe edges slightly above Manchester I think. But it's the teaching quality that really disappointed me at Manchester and having heard from people at soas and having had a look at their law faculty qualifications I cannot help but feel a sense of regret about not choosing the latter. That's all!

Are you referring to manchesters international development course or soas?

Latest

Trending

Trending