The Student Room Group

Need help from a math student

I'm not a math student and i need help with this histogram question..
Is my graph correct?
Isn't this more like a bar chart? I thought histograms must have a range of values on the x axis, not discrete numbers. If so, how do i find the range, how do i solve this?
Reply 1
image.jpgThis is my graph. Forgot to attach it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zainabr17
image.jpgThis is my graph. Forgot to attach it.

bars on a bar chart have spaces between them whereas bars on a histogram do not.
on a histogram: the area of a bar shows the frequency of the bar, whereas with a bar chart in this case height would show frequency.

since it's a histogram the Y axis should say frequency density and the x axis should be labelled number of beans in a pod.

Since the area of the bar represents the frequency, to find the height of the bar, divide frequency by the class width. However since the class width of all your x values is just 1 (your data is ungrouped so there is no class interval), your bars are actually correct. To my knowledge all you need to do is change the labels on the axes.

to anyone else reading this: please correct me if I am wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you!
I changed the label (y axis) to frequency density.
So i have to find the frequency density (i.e. =frequency/class width) whenever i draw a histogram.
Easy now :smile:
Math is making my subjects harder for me...especially logarithms and statistics.

Quick Reply

Latest