The Student Room Group

A/a* revision - year 10

My school isn't great at providing revision tips, and in some subjects I feel I don't know the course that well. I'm in year 10 and hoping to get mostly A/A*s. What grades should I aim to get in my end of year 10 exams to be "on target"? And also what revision tips do you have (I'm a visual learner). At the moment I get A/A* in my mid-unit tests, but am constantly worried about the real thing... Thank-you for any replies!
Reply 1
If you want to get a a* I think you should aim for that in your end of year 10 exams.
Revision tips- get some flash cards
Do a poster
Write things out in diffrent colour of your a visual learner.
Hope this helps and I hope you get a* in your end of year exams. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Lacey125
If you want to get a a* I think you should aim for that in your end of year 10 exams.
Revision tips- get some flash cards
Do a poster
Write things out in diffrent colour of your a visual learner.
Hope this helps and I hope you get a* in your end of year exams. Good luck :smile:

Thank-you so much! I will aim for that I think and have done some flash cards already :smile: I will try using different colours and highlighters too - thanks for the tip!:smile:
Aim for what is comfortable with tests but stretch it a little to challenge yourself but I'll be honest, not doing as well as you hoped in unit tests or end of year tests is fine. As someone who mainly came out with A*s I can assure you that getting C's in some tests isn't always a bad thing. I was very up and down for a while and concerned about my overall grades. Ask for feedback wherever possible, it can be hard if you get contradicting information but try and see why they have pointed it out to you. I'd recommend looking at example work, sometimes you can find analysed ones that explain why their work was good. Try to keep on top of revision (notes flashcards whatever) as you go along to maximise the amount of time you actually have to revise with them. Something I learned the hard way is that making revision isn't always actually revision in itself. Bitesize chunks tend to be best and build on it every time you come to revise it. I found YouTube videos VERY useful because of how accessible they are. Do your research to find the best YouTube channel for you or ask teachers for recommended websites. I ended up getting a bunch of other textbooks that were from a different exam board to mine to find other details, interpretations and more information. Obviously be careful not to learn a completely different syllabus but rather a similar one that teaches differently or explains more thoroughly. I find the more information I have the better it is to understand. But be careful not to overload! That's my number one thing. It's okay not to revise every day for 5 hours! Year 10 and begining of year 11 should be fairly chilled (you might hate me for saying that I know haha) but the real stuff happens after your mocks, full revision mode. As someone who thought they needed to be doing so much more than they actually did I can tell you that after mocks I completely changed. I stopped stressing about it and started to actually work for it in a healthy way. You can find some good YouTube videos on revision tips and tricks if ever but I wouldn't recommend you try and do every single one at the same time. It's important to just understand where you're at, what you actually need and what you're looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest