The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShellieT
In a sense yes. But its not being "given" Its a loan not grant that i have to pay back when i finish uni.
X

It comes out of your wages and you won't really notice it.
Am I the only one praying that I get into my firm so I can live at home for my first year?
I'd save £5000 ish, which I hope to spend on a holidays abroad + buy clothes/laptop & also
help pay a bit of rent towards my parents & save £1.5-2k in the bank. :tongue: I'm living in London

:excited:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I get the minimum of £3822 because of parental income.
Reply 23
Original post by Tiger Rag
It comes out of your wages and you won't really notice it.

Lets hope so lol x
Hi
Just been told i can have up to £9.699 this is based on living alone with r children not a parents income.
But im livid. I dont want to apply for it for reason which are my owb however im being backed into a corner. Take it or have nothing to live on cuz its classed as income weather u accept it or not.
Dont agree with their decisions on that but hay ho thats what is it ive been told.

Well where else are you going to get nearly £10k a year from? The vast majority of UK students have to take out loans to pay for accommodation, bills, food etc.
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Miy student finance will be £8200 and (40 weeks of £132) at Reading so £2920 pounds for the year
Going to try and get the cheapest room onviously :tongue:
Would you not get a maintance loan as well
I thought it was a max of £3387 they give you ontop of your student finance (depending on your household's income though )

So i will have £6307 to live on for the entire year which works out to £120 per week should be doable:smile:

If your accomodation is £132 a week for 40 weeks, you're spending around 5.2k not 2.9k
Original post by Daniel9998
think my max loan is £3500ish and my accommodation is £6200 LOL

So I have -£2700 spending money left over

I get £3821 loan and my accommodation is £4764, my parents can't afford to make up the almost extra grand needed for the accommodation, let alone any money for food and stuff lmao help
Original post by Daniel9998
think my max loan is £3500ish and my accommodation is £6200 LOL

So I have -£2700 spending money left over

Why is your accom so expensive? Are you living in London?
Original post by cherryred90s
If your accomodation is £132 a week for 40 weeks, you're spending around 5.2k not 2.9k

That is after i have taken the 5.2K from the total:tongue:
I get £5330 because I'm in London, but that's about £140 a week and my accommodation is £205-226 a week...thank god for my parents and my savings!
(edited 7 years ago)
That is after i have taken the 5.2K from the total:tongue:

If your student finance is 8.2k and your accomodation is 5.2k, how will you have 6.3k to live on? :s-smilie:
Reply 31
In a sense yes. But its not being "given" Its a loan not grant that i have to pay back when i finish uni.
X

But that's you and most other students. How did you think Student Finance worked? Did someone tell you that it was all a non-repayable grant or something? Sounds like you may have had some poor advice somewhere along the way.
If your student finance is 8.2k and your accomodation is 5.2k, how will you have 6.3k to live on? :s-smilie:

Maintenance loan
But I am using the max amount for everything
Hi
Just been told i can have up to £9.699 this is based on living alone with r children not a parents income.
But im livid. I dont want to apply for it for reason which are my owb however im being backed into a corner. Take it or have nothing to live on cuz its classed as income weather u accept it or not.
Dont agree with their decisions on that but hay ho thats what is it ive been told.

I think I understand what you typed. Google Translate's not helping in the slightest. You don't have to apply for it and you seem to be saying that you have some reason(s) not to. It's a pain people trying to loan you a lot of money with low interest etc.. If you have or can earn enough money to last 3-4 years then go ahead.
Maintenance loan

But if you maintenance loan is £8.2k and your rent is £5.2k then you have £3k left over. Are you getting a bursary/scholarship or money from your parents?
Maintenance loan

Your student finance already includes your maintenance loan doesn't it?
£7.6k full loan + grant from Scotland as my mom is currently undergoing a PhD, which means close to min. wage income for a 5 person household.

Quite jealous that the max for everyone else in the UK was bumped to £8.2k :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
£7.6k full loan + grant from Scotland as my mom is currently undergoing a PhD, which means close to min. wage income for a 5 person household.

Quite jealous that the max for everyone else in the UK was bumped to £8.2k :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The max was 7.4k when I started, so that's what I get
X

How else will you generate £10k? You should be a bit more grateful that you get so much tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallTownGirl
But if you maintenance loan is £8.2k and your rent is £5.2k then you have £3k left over. Are you getting a bursary/scholarship or money from your parents?

Oh i think i will also get maintenance grant? Cause my household income is less than £40K?

Your student finance already includes your maintenance loan doesn't it?

I dont actually know that much info tbf
I am baffled :lol:
Will research more about it when i apply for student finance in the next two weeks :smile:

Latest