The Student Room Group

The NHS is amazing !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethereal World
What is Bell's Palsy? Yeah it was just great how there is someone there to talk to you within a minute and who doesn't just go suck it up with some ibuprofen. Tbf I've been taking codeine and ibuprofen and it hasn't touched the sides.

It's a condition that causes temporary weakness or paralysis of the muscles in one side of the face. In my case, the right side of my face (iirc) was paralysed for around 6 weeks. Couldn't smile lol and it was hard going outside due to the sensitivity. Drinking was almost impossible due to the dribbling unless I used a straw and eating was a hassle.

I still have 80 tablets of cocodmol in my room which I plan to use next time I have migraines. Annoyingly, my room is always a tip and the tablets always seem to disappear when I'm looking for them so I have to rely on inferior paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Anyway, I suppose your appointment is in an hr. Hope it goes well and the pain isn't due to anything sinister.

No? I was confused I got tagged but then the tag was removed so I thought it was a mistake ?

I tag people and delete them so it doesn't seem like I'm begging for attention when they comment or rep my posts :innocent:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Tags a few people who probably have some thoughts.

Totally agree Ethereal, as much as people complain about the healthcare in this country, you can't say it's all bad with stories like these, glad you got the help you needed and good luck with your appointment! :biggrin:
Original post by ZuluK
Everyone has different thoughts about the NHS and at first I used to hold a negative view. But after working in my local hospital in the X-Ray department and A&E, you'd be crazy to say anything negative. What the staff go through just to make you feel better is ridiculous.

We are so lucky to have free healthcare and yes they make a few mistakes but honestly tell me, even if it was perfect there would still be something for you all to complain about. The Public are never happy no matter what the NHS does. And the demand? I'm not kidding.

Until you, yourself, work in the NHS and see what happens behind doors, you will never appreciate what they do.

Oh wow. Howcome you worked in a hospital ? I realise I actually know so little about you. Tell me about your life now please.

I completely agree though. Whilst I've never worked for the NHS I've used as a patient numerous times and I also implemented a patient record system into lots of different NHS care settings. This involved shadowing anyone involved in a patients route of care - and my god what these soldiers do day in day out for us is awesome.
So pros and cons of the first day:

Cons
Waiting for an ambulance with no pain relief apart from an ice pack
Nursing staff extremely unpleasant

Pros
Doctors both junior and senior were extremely efficient and had great way of dealing with me!
Very little waiting time...
Adequate pain relief
@Ethereal World
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Blondie987
Totally agree Ethereal, as much as people complain about the healthcare in this country, you can't say it's all bad with stories like these, glad you got the help you needed and good luck with your appointment! :biggrin:

Thank you G. :lovehug:
What is Bell's Palsy? Yeah it was just great how there is someone there to talk to you within a minute and who doesn't just go suck it up with some ibuprofen. Tbf I've been taking codeine and ibuprofen and it hasn't touched the sides.

Be careful with codeine though, it wrecks your stomach. I have a story about codeine too, but it isn't to do with the NHS
Original post by homeland.lsw
Be careful with codeine though, it wrecks your stomach. I have a story about codeine too, but it isn't to do with the NHS

But but .... Opiates :colone:

Omg my ex boyfriend tested positive on a drug test for working offshore on oil rigs because he ate warburtons seeded bread like half a loaf a day and the poppy seeds were sufficient at that level to push him over on opiates :rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
But but .... Opiates :colone:

Omg my ex boyfriend tested positive on a drug test for working offshore on oil rigs because he ate war buttons seeded bread like half a loaf a day and the poppy seeds were sufficient at that level to push him over on opiates :rofl:

:no:
Trust me...codeine is not good :redface:
Reply 28
Oh wow. Howcome you worked in a hospital ? I realise I actually know so little about you. Tell me about your life now please.

I completely agree though. Whilst I've never worked for the NHS I've used as a patient numerous times and I also implemented a patient record system into lots of different NHS care settings. This involved shadowing anyone involved in a patients route of care - and my god what these soldiers do day in day out for us is awesome.

Haha yeah... No one knows much about me :colone:
I still work at the hospital on the weekends, and uni during the week actually doing radiography :biggrin: haha I'll tell you about my life when the time is right

Exactly, people take the NHS for granted without realising what they actually do. It's not just one patient to look after and the heirachy and the management is not the best because like everything in life, money is what matters. If a patient breaches in A&E (meaning they are there for more than 4hours) they get fined a ****ing ridiculous amount. each department is run to its maximum and yes the patient is number one but complaining about having to wait for 1 hour and making things worse by doing it loudly doesn't help things.

I've got too many stories to tell and I can't type them all out but the things you see people do, like complaining about times, makes you question, should the NHS even be free for them? When there are people who are in worse conditions are willing to wait. 😓

Um may not make sense, I'm tired lol and at work :redface:
Sorry that your experience was so vastly different :frown:

I acknowledge that it's not perfect I'm just kind of stunned by my experience this morning.

Me too - glad they helped you
Original post by samina_ay
Me too - glad they helped you

Thank you :colondollar:
In many ways it is.

I myself have only had to go to hospital once since the day I was born. However, the rest of my family have only had good experiences.

A&E in this country is undoubtedly world class. This should remain Government-funded.

Frankly we are behind countries like France and Germany in other areas. A two-tier health care system seems to be the answer.

:wink:
Anyway, after my first Op, I had wires in my bones to keep them aligned and whatnot. I also had a heavy plaster cast that would be on all summer.

I went after three weeks to have an X-Ray, and they discovered that the wires slipped and I would need to have another operation that day. Again I was put at top of the list, as it was deemed as an emergency, and they had to put a plate in my arm. (This caused me to have a scar about 5 inches long on the underside of my forearm) But again I was lucky and had short waiting times, and this time when I slept in the hospital the nursing staff (a different one) were much better.

@Ethereal World definitely I think if you see the right people, the NHS is a jewel.
Reply 33
Anyway, after my first Op, I had wires in my bones to keep them aligned and whatnot. I also had a heavy plaster cast that would be on all summer.

I went after three weeks to have an X-Ray, and they discovered that the wires slipped and I would need to have another operation that day. Again I was put at top of the list, as it was deemed as an emergency, and they had to put a plate in my arm. (This caused me to have a scar about 5 inches long on the underside of my forearm) But again I was lucky and had short waiting times, and this time when I slept in the hospital the nursing staff (a different one) were much better.

@Ethereal World definitely I think if you see the right people, the NHS is a jewel.

On my placement, I saw that happen... When they put the plates in. I'm not queasy or anything when it comes to blood, but seeing the Otho surgeon poke his fingers in the ladies ankle was gross :redface: and I had to do the x Ray's so had to stay and keep an eye and make sure that I was x raying properly... Damn!!
Until last year my experience with hospitals was only based on how I saw my family members being taken care of by the staff. They were fabulous with my mum and 10 years on she still praises them. I couldnt praise them enough myself in how they looked after my granddad in his end of life care and the same with my nan. But last year I was diagnosed with cancer and I was down at the hospital once every 2 weeks. the staff were absolutely lovely. they were patient with me and made sure i was comfortable for the whole time i was there.... my scans were done by a private company but the nhs paid them to do my scan and there was little to no personal care. they just wanted me done and out as soon as possible. all they cared about was the money they were making. public funded healthcare is so much better in that case.
Working in the NHS is so much better as well compared to working in private sector healthcare. It absolutely sucks. Especially private sector care. Low wages, crap management, crap hours, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZuluK
On my placement, I saw that happen... When they put the plates in. I'm not queasy or anything when it comes to blood, but seeing the Otho surgeon poke his fingers in the ladies ankle was gross :redface: and I had to do the x Ray's so had to stay and keep an eye and make sure that I was x raying properly... Damn!!

Yes, apparently my surgeon was operating on me for like 4 hours, he had to re-break the bones and align them back again. It seemed like hard work :tongue:
I think the service you receive from the NHS differs vastly depending on which trust you fall under. My experiences have mostly been bad, from mental health issues to physical complaints, and from GP services to hospital services. I'm very grateful that we get free healthcare, but I think there's a long way to go to make sure you get the same level of service no matter your location within the UK.

Sometimes I think I would actually prefer a health insurance system where you have to pay a contribution towards the services but you have a better experience when it comes to treatment and diagnosis alongside having more say in where you access your treatment.
Reply 38
Yes, apparently my surgeon was operating on me for like 4 hours, he had to re-break the bones and align them back again. It seemed like hard work :tongue:

Yeah it's really long winded. The longest I've been in theatres was for 6 hours when they were doing an elbow because apparently (don't really know) it's the hardest and the most bloody.

Hope you're okay now though :h:
@Ethereal World hope you're okay :h:

And glad the NHS was of service (:ahee:)

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending