The Student Room Group

I came across a empty pregnancy test wrapper in gf's litter...

I noticed a Ann Summer's bag in the litter bin- which I knew was packaging from when she'd bought us some erotic toys. However, deeper down, I'd noticed a an empty wrapper of a test of some sort. Its the brand 'clearblue'- which can only assume is for pregnancy purposes.

We're in a long distance relationship, and so have sex very rarely when I go down to see her. Last time we had sex it was like a fortnight ago (maybe a bit more)- unprotected. However, I assume you wouldn't test for pregnancy that soon after. Currently she is 'on' and such, so I assume she isn't pregnant, and with us having sex fairly recently- I feel she wouldn't need to test so soon.

I don't want to jump to any serious conclusions or become too paranoid, however, is it likely she's had sex a few months ago and feels the need to test for pregnancy?

I have had paranoia before that she's cheated, and she's admitted to kissing another person while drunk and regretted it afterwards- she rang me the next day and told me (this was over two years ago).

I just moved in to live with her (150 miles from my hometown) I dunno how to feel really. I can't go and ask her, because it will seem silly how I noticed such an inconspicuous detail.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thread starter here:

also to add another detail...

She's on the coil (contraceptive), and so technically speaking can't get pregnant.
Original post by Anonymous
I noticed a Ann Summer's bag in the litter bin- which I knew was packaging from when she'd bought us some erotic toys. However, deeper down, I'd noticed a an empty wrapper of a test of some sort. Its the brand 'clearblue'- which can only assume is for pregnancy purposes.

We're in a long distance relationship, and so have sex very rarely when I go down to see her. Last time we had sex it was like a fortnight ago (maybe a bit more)- unprotected. However, I assume you wouldn't test for pregnancy that soon after. Currently she is 'on' and such, so I assume she isn't pregnant, and with us having sex fairly recently- I feel she wouldn't need to test so soon.

I don't want to jump to any serious conclusions or become too paranoid, however, is it likely she's had sex a few months ago and feels the need to test for pregnancy?

I have had paranoia before that she's cheated, and she's admitted to kissing another person while drunk and regretted it afterwards- she rang me the next day and told me (this was over two years ago).

I just moved in to live with her (150 miles from my hometown) I dunno how to feel really. I can't go and ask her, because it will seem silly how I noticed such an inconspicuous detail.

If she took a test normally i believe you take them 2-3 weeks afterwards so its possible she was just concerned after you had unprotected sex,maybe her period was a couple of days late.
Thread starter here:

She's on the coil (contraceptive), and so technically speaking can't get pregnant.

In that case, although there is a very slim chance of pregnancy especially if its a hormonal coil her periods could be slightly effected as a side effect and therefore could have made her worried she was pregnant, i wouldnt go jumping to conclusions with this one.
Are you sure it's a pregnancy test wrapper?
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
If she took a test normally i believe you take them 2-3 weeks afterwards so its possible she was just concerned after you had unprotected sex,maybe her period was a couple of days late.

Potentially yes. I'm unsure as to what it was- it was certainly some sort of Clear Blue product. I'm not going to ask her about it, despite the fact it may ease my worries. Its just how do you approach this sort of thing? I hate been paranoid and anxious about it...

Logically and rationally, if she wanted to cheat on me, why would she go through all the hassle of allowing me to move in- helping me with employment and other such things. At the same time, I am reading into everything. I'm stressed, moved to a new area of country, I know nobody really, other than her, I'm defensive, paranoid and not used to the cultural differences here.

It could be more to do with my insecurities than her I guess.
Reply 6
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Are you sure it's a pregnancy test wrapper?

Its blue, long and narrow and it says 'clear blue'. Take from this what you will. What did you assume it could be??
Potentially yes. I'm unsure as to what it was- it was certainly some sort of Clear Blue product. I'm not going to ask her about it, despite the fact it may ease my worries. Its just how do you approach this sort of thing? I hate been paranoid and anxious about it...

Logically and rationally, if she wanted to cheat on me, why would she go through all the hassle of allowing me to move in- helping me with employment and other such things. At the same time, I am reading into everything. I'm stressed, moved to a new area of country, I know nobody really, other than her, I'm defensive, paranoid and not used to the cultural differences here.

It could be more to do with my insecurities than her I guess.

I think there is no good way to approach this as clearly you have insecurities and if you mention anything about it it will be clear you've been snopping.
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
I think there is no good way to approach this as clearly you have insecurities and if you mention anything about it it will be clear you've been snopping.

Exactly. I think I should either confront her, or, draw a line under sand and try and forget these concerns. I know that it might just be a pregnancy test, however, its the associations with that and knowing we're only having sex occasionally.

Thing is, I've just moved in with her and so finding out that she has been would destroy my self esteem in every such way.
Ask her about it. Very gently, very quietly (no aggression, no accusations). Just 'anything we need to talk about ...?'. And dont do the big-loud-male-thing of 'dont I have a right to know' 'why didnt you mention this' etc.
Thread starter here:

********. It just reduces the chances.
Original post by returnmigrant
Ask her about it. Very gently, very quietly (no aggression, no accusations). Just 'anything we need to talk about ...?'. And dont do the big-loud-male-thing of 'dont I have a right to know' 'why didnt you mention this' etc.

Do you think I have a right to be suspicious?

I may ask her. May not. I think with these tests you can find out 4 days early. I'm to work out what that would mean, because we haven't done it for a good two weeks--if not more, could even be four weeks.

I'm thinking, if she's had sex recently, then she might have felt the inclination to test herself.

No, you don't.

And if you approach this with that attitude it will end in tears.
Original post by Tootles
********. It just reduces the chances.

Well of course, I know most contraceptives aren't 100% effective, however, I assumed that since she's on the coil she'd be less inclined to test herself.

I just assume that since she is testing herself, it might well be a sense of guilt, panic and shame making her double check over.

I dunno I might be well off base here.
No, you don't.

Why do I not have a right? And why should it have to end in tears??

I'm only being protective like any man would about his partner, particularly now we co-habit. I feel we're much more exclusive, as an engaged living together couple, and even entertaining the idea of her ********** some other bloke boils my blood.

It is a commitment we've made, and I know there are some awful un-trustworthy folk in this world- I hope mine isn't one of those.
Well of course, I know most contraceptives aren't 100% effective, however, I assumed that since she's on the coil she'd be less inclined to test herself.

I just assume that since she is testing herself, it might well be a sense of guilt, panic and shame making her double check over.

I dunno I might be well off base here.
OK, OK, this is a longshot but I'm going to go out on a limb, so to speak, and throw caution to the wind...

...did you have sex?
Original post by Tootles
OK, OK, this is a longshot but I'm going to go out on a limb, so to speak, and throw caution to the wind...

...did you have sex?

Not sure if your been sarcastic here...but I'll be straight up...

Not recently no (as stated in earlier posts). Last time was probably between 14-28 days. Certainly at some point last month, but I'd say probably closer to three weeks realistically.

I may ask her. May not. I think with these tests you can find out 4 days early. I'm to work out what that would mean, because we haven't done it for a good two weeks--if not more, could even be four weeks.

I'm thinking, if she's had sex recently, then she might have felt the inclination to test herself.

Well if you had sex 2-4 weeks ago then its probable that if she did take a test it is because of the sex she had with you, some pregnancy tests show you when you're 2+ weeks pregnant and she may have just been paranoid that the coil hadn't worked if her period was a few days late or something.
Also it might not have been hers, maybe a friends or something. Unlikely but still.
Just go up to her and be like I saw a clear blue wrapper in the bin I thought they did pregnancy tests, you haven't accused her of anything just stating a fact and she'll probably explain why its there
Original post by BekahMay
Well if you had sex 2-4 weeks ago then its probable that if she did take a test it is because of the sex she had with you, some pregnancy tests show you when you're 2+ weeks pregnant and she may have just been paranoid that the coil hadn't worked if her period was a few days late or something.
Also it might not have been hers, maybe a friends or something. Unlikely but still.
Just go up to her and be like I saw a clear blue wrapper in the bin I thought they did pregnancy tests, you haven't accused her of anything just stating a fact and she'll probably explain why its there

Yes, could be paranoia on her part. She's had to take a test before after we'd had sex- so it may be a reoccurring thing. It is unlikely its her friends.

I don't think its something a person would leave laying about if it was due to her having sex discreetly with someone else. I'd imagine most guilty parties would hide any evidence and not leave it where it could be found. I think the distance in our relationship has taken its toll on us- despite me now been here properly.

I may ask her about it as a matter of my concern.
No, you don't (have any right to be suspicious).

Because you dont know the circumstances, dates etc. You are just jumping to an immediate, and very male orientated, conclusion.

(Have you even thought about the possibility that it might not even be her's ..... it might have been for friend she's helping through a crisis, as just one possibility.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending