The Student Room Group

What's your favourite classical music piece?

Scroll to see replies

Miserere Mei
I know this isn't classical, but it's certainly worth the mentioning.

Original post by Dodgypirate
xx

Hello :wavey:

Just a quick one from me to let you know that I've moved this over to Music!

Cheers!
Anything colourful, bombastic and self-indulgent. The sort of music that, if it had a brain, would have bipolar disorder

this

also this

Original post by leavingthecity
Miserere Mei

Love this! They sang this at my church on Good Friday, I was blown away. I'm guessing you're talking about Allegri's, right?
Wagner: das ring des nibelungen

it is quite long but has some great tunes :h:
Original post by Supersaps
Love this! They sang this at my church on Good Friday, I was blown away. I'm guessing you're talking about Allegri's, right?

I am! Though the piece is attributed to him, we don't actually know who wrote it. One thing I must do before I die is witness this in the Sistine Chapel. For now I listen to it in a candle lit bath. Cancels out the stress of 12 hour days instantly.

Has a very interesting history to it, this piece of music.
Original post by Dodgypirate
My all time favourite is Claire de Lune by Debussy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY

Quickly followed by Satie and Gynopédie number 1.

Have you listened to Gnossienne number 1 by Satie? That might be one of my favourites:

Spoiler

Other than that, I like Hungarian Dance no.5 by Brahms, Waltz no. 2 by Shostakovich, Moonlight Sonata, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Danse Macabre, Chopin's Funeral March, Lark Ascending by Williams, Danzon no. 2 by Marquez if that counts, and the Turkish March by Beethoven.

I really can't pick just one...
Original post by thefatone
this

also this

:five:
eine kleine Nachtmusik
I am! Though the piece is attributed to him, we don't actually know who wrote it. One thing I must do before I die is witness this in the Sistine Chapel. For now I listen to it in a candle lit bath. Cancels out the stress of 12 hour days instantly.

Has a very interesting history to it, this piece of music.

Ahhh, that is an interesting bit of history! I didn't know that.

As for the Sistine Chapel, as far as I recall, they don't hold Masses in their overly often as it's mainly used as a tourist hotspot as part of the Vatican Museum! I would love to hear Mass there, though. I've seen it 3 times!

SS
Holst's 'Saturn' or 'A Somerset Rhapsody'.
Original post by the bear
Wagner: das ring des nibelungen

it is quite long but has some great tunes :h:

This reminds me of something Elgar said of Wagner. I forget the quote exactly but I think it was;

"Wagner had some very boring half hours, but some brilliant 5 minutes."

I've really tried to like Wagner, and I appreciate his contribution to the genre of Romance which is my favourite genre but I just struggle to enjoy his music. I read Die Walkure but just found it a bit weird.
I can't believe I forgot these:

Spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNQFB0TD (Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRU1AJsXN1g&nohtml5=FalsefY (Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner)
Ahhh, that is an interesting bit of history! I didn't know that.

As for the Sistine Chapel, as far as I recall, they don't hold Masses in their overly often as it's mainly used as a tourist hotspot as part of the Vatican Museum! I would love to hear Mass there, though. I've seen it 3 times!

SS

I will cry when I hear it there, 100000% certain. Music makes me cry or makes my eyes water when it's really perfect.
Miserere Mei

That is a lovely piece, but check out Gesualdo's version - it's pretty stunning.

And Supersaps - did they do the Improperia at the Good Friday liturgy? Palestrina's version of that is wonderful!
Original post by TheOtherSide.
:five:

are we friends now? :biggrin:
Chopin - Nocturne [Op. 9 no. 1] in B flat minor
Original post by thefatone
are we friends now? :biggrin:

I never said we couldn't be. :lol: So :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest