The Student Room Group

Is A level maths A LOT harder than GCSE maths?

I want to do A level physics and it is advised that I take A level Maths. I got a very high B in my last mock (2 marks off of an A) but I still struggle on some topics. I'm starting to worry that A level maths is way out of my ability.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Technically you can do A level physics without maths but there are a lot of calculations involved so it does help to do it (I do both physics and maths at A2). Also, if you decided to do physics at uni you would have to have maths so that may be something to consider. I personally don't think it's too much harder than GCSE maths. Of course there is a step up in difficulty but if you put the effort in, you'd be ok with a high B in my opinion 😄 I hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Amy_98
Technically you can do A level physics without maths but there are a lot of calculations involved so it does help to do it (I do both physics and maths at A2). Also, if you decided to do physics at uni you would have to have maths so that may be something to consider. I personally don't think it's too much harder than GCSE maths. Of course there is a step up in difficulty but if you put the effort in, you'd be ok with a high B in my opinion 😄 I hope that helps!

Thanks :smile: I think I've come quite a way since my last mock so hopefully I get an A in maths.
well if you enjoy maths and don't find it a burden then i recommend at least AS maths as for AS you will study either statistics (what i do, doesn't help one bit :/) or mechanics which helps LOTS with physics as mechanics in my opinion is the hardest part of physics and doing mechanics in both subjects means you'll find it easier quicker. Also like i said at the beginning of the reply, as long as you don't find it a burden it really isn't hard for AS (im on the last topic for AS so i can't say anything for A2). the three topics you do is C1 and C2 (core 1/2) and S1 or M1 (statistics and mechanics respectively). C1 is more than 50% A grade maths work so there really isn't too much step up there, C2 advances on C1 and i do say gets hard in some places but as long as you dont hate it, it's not a huge challenge.

basically, in answer to your post, i recommend maths, or at least the first year AS course as it'll help a bunch with the calculations, especially the graph work. it's not a huge step up if you like it. hope i helped, and if anyone disagrees with me don't hesitate to say so, it's early in the morning so i may forget a couple of things :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by AxSirlotl
Thanks :smile: I think I've come quite a way since my last mock so hopefully I get an A in maths.

You can do it!! With a few past papers you can get those extra marks no problem! Have faith in your ability and you'll do great I'm sure 😄
I do A2 Maths, Further maths and Physics.

If you're planning to do Physics, even though Maths is not compulsory for it, it would be a GIANT help (especially if you take the Mechanics1 AS module in Maths. Physics AS unit 2 is basically a simplified version of that module.) The people who didn't take Maths in my Physics class struggled a lot with many of the topics in Physics.

AS Maths is not a big jump at all from GCSE Maths. The first module you are going to learn, Core 1, is just most of the A* topics already covered in GCSE Maths in slightly more detail, with 2-3 extra topics (Differentiation, Integration, Sequences, which is not a big jump)

Also, there are MANY resources for A level maths on the internet, way more than enough to help you get that grade A/A* :smile: Try examsolutions.net and physicsandmathstutor.com
Reply 6
It's not true. A level Maths is easy.
It's a bit harder.
Original post by AxSirlotl
I want to do A level physics and it is advised that I take A level Maths. I got a very high B in my last mock (2 marks off of an A) but I still struggle on some topics. I'm starting to worry that A level maths is way out of my ability.

I took AS Maths and AS Physics last year, and even a B at GCSE is fine for A Level Maths, my Sixth Form requires a B GCSE for A Level Maths or an A GCSE for A Level Further Maths. The first few lessons I found were quite tough as they began on A* level topics at GCSE, but I found that the content flowed quite nicely when learning the A Level.

I did M1 in AS Maths, and whilst this helped somewhat for the mechanics in Physics, it did not help with most of the other content. I did AQA AS Maths and OCR AS Physics B (Adv Physics), and I performed much better in Maths (High grade A) than I did in Physics (Low grade B) at the end of AS.

If you want to study the subjects however, then go for it :smile:, this is just my experience and what I found when studying these two subjects last year.
Reply 9
Thanks for your replies :biggrin: I feel a bit more confident now :smile:
Honestly, I find A level maths MUCH MORE easier than GCSE maths and also much more enjoyable as it consists mostly of what I enjoyed most at GCSE - such as algebra and trigonometry. :smile:!
I'm studying AS maths topics right now, since we've finished the GCSE curriculum, and am finding C1 quite enjoyable. I've never really enjoyed maths lessons before but these are fun.

I hear it doesn't start to get tricky until C3 or so. But even so I'm excited for it because the topics are interesting.
Reply 12
Original post by TarotOfMagic
Honestly, I find A level maths MUCH MORE easier than GCSE maths and also much more enjoyable as it consists mostly of what I enjoyed most at GCSE - such as algebra and trigonometry. :smile:!

Ooooh I like algebra and trig :biggrin:
Hi :smile: I got an A* in GCSE maths a year early and B in GCSE further maths and then came out with a C at AS, so it's definitely a challenging A Level. However, I wasn't far off a B and I found pure maths very enjoyable and straightforward - my downfall was mechanics which I found a big struggle. However I didn't even do GCSE physics so I was learning it all from scratch and didn't enjoy it at all. If you enjoy and have a talent for physics you shouldn't have much problem. :smile:
Apparently aqa further maths (GCSE) is similar to c1 a level maths. We practice c1 papers for the further maths exam. So if ur good in further maths then u should be fine in a level maths
If you plan to do physics at university (even as an outside thought at this point) then A-Level is a necessity
A2 maths is a killer! but I'm sure you'll be able to cope with AS maths just fine!:smile:
btw three things to make sure you know in a good amount of detail:
1. simultaneous equations (all three ways of solving, substitution and graphically are very important in the first year)
2. quadratic equations (they appear in nearly every topic, ranging from solving equations involving x cubed right to sequences aswell)
3. As well was basic trigonometry (SohCahToa) the sine rule, cosine rule and area of a triangle. but if you find that a little bit difficult it isnt covered until half way through the first year.

thinking about it.... i don't think there's a single topic that doesn't involve algebra until trigonometry
Reply 18
Do you have to have natural ability in maths to do the A level?
Reply 19
Simple answer is YES.
GCSE maths is a walk in the park - nay, a leisurely roll down a slight incline - in comparison to A-Level Maths :smile:
- The same applies with Physics (y)
Both are easily doable though with enough effort. Make sure you look at university requirements for any courses you might find interesting and ensure you do not miss out on an interesting course by not choosing the correct subjects!

Quick Reply

Latest