The Student Room Group

Are my a level options weak?

I'm taking Geography, History and Government and Politics at A Level.. Are these weak subjects?
You have two facilitating subjects so no, they're fine
Reply 2
not at all, geo and history are 2 great/facilitating subjects
They're fine. What do you want to do at university?
Reply 4
Nope. You've taken 2 good, facilitating subjects :smile:
History and geography are regarded as one of the top alevels by the Russell group alongside maths English sciences and the languages. Also, politics is by no means a weak subject. all subjects are good for law or other related humanities degree at good unis
No, depends what you wanna do at uni
Reply 7
guys im taking psychology,sociology and business ? do you think a russel group uni will consider me for accounting and finance?
Original post by Legendary Quest
They're fine. What do you want to do at university?

Building Surveying! Dont laugh hahah! I ultimately want to follow in the footsteps of my dad and open up my own construction business!
Original post by whoneedseton
Building Surveying! Dont laugh hahah! I ultimately want to follow in the footsteps of my dad and open up my own construction business!

No, that's great :smile: In that case, your subjects are perfectly fine. Good luck :h:
Original post by Legendary Quest
No, that's great :smile: In that case, your subjects are perfectly fine. Good luck :h:

Thank you!:colondollar: You too! What do you want to do?
Original post by luciie
Nope. You've taken 2 good, facilitating subjects :smile:

Is Eng Lit,Geo and Politics good for law.College won't let me take History because i didn't do it at GCSE
Original post by whoneedseton
Thank you!:colondollar: You too! What do you want to do?

I'm doing A2 now :giggle: After university, I want to go into either Law or the Civil Service. I haven't quite decided yet.. I change my mind quite a lot. :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Nc_x
guys im taking psychology,sociology and business ? do you think a russel group uni will consider me for accounting and finance?

I've been looking in to accountancy, too. Unfortunately none of your subjects are listed as facilitating or semi-facilitating for the russel group.
Do you have maths to AS level? I've heard this is useful, or at a minimum, a good grade in GCSE maths (and English).
If you didn't choose maths, I'm wondering why you're interested in accounting and finance - it has quite a lot of maths, so I wouldn't recommend it if you don't enjoy maths!

If you're set on being an accountant there are some great courses from KPMG - they pay for your uni in some cases, and even give you up to £20,000 a year as an apprentice!!
https://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/school-leavers/kpmg360-programme#.VwkbgpwrLDc
You need 260 UCAS points for the 3-year course, or to become a chartered accountant it takes 5 years and
"Grades ABB at A Level, plus a B in GCSE Maths and a B in GCSE English Language (or equivalent)"
...and you'll be paid all the way through and end up with a degree and a job. I don't really understand why anyone doesn't choose apprenticeships tbh
Reply 14
Original post by Blancosdos
Is Eng Lit,Geo and Politics good for law.College won't let me take History because i didn't do it at GCSE

Sounds pretty much the best you could choose without history. Economics can be a good choice also I've heard, but the main thing is you have analytical subjects!

Quick Reply

Latest