The Student Room Group

Aqa biology a2 dna technology help

Hey, im really struggling to understand the clear purpose of some of the methods on the DNA technology chapter so any clarification would be much appreciated ..
What is the actual prupose of:
-Using gene markers : is it to check if the plasmid is taken up or the fragment?
-Sanger method
-Gel electrophoresis (Still dont understand how it shows the DNA sequence)
-Genetic fingerprinting
- Restriction mapping
Thanks for your help and feel free to add any other information which you think would be useful ..
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by souhm
Hey, im really struggling to understand the clear purpose of some of the methods on the DNA technology chapter so any clarification would be much appreciated ..
What is the actual prupose of:
-Using gene markers : is it to check if the plasmid is taken up or the fragment?
-Sanger method
-Gel electrophoresis (Still dont understand how it shows the DNA sequence)
-Genetic fingerprinting

Thanks for your help and feel free to add any other information which you think would be useful ..

Gene markers are to check for the DNA fragment as not all plasmids take up the fragment during transformation.

Sorry I can't help with the sanger method much, but I think gel electrophoresis comes under it you can separate lengths of DNA with the specific terminator nucleotide

Genetic fingerprinting compares the DNA core sequences (repeating lengths of introns) of individuals. The more similar they are, the more closely related they are - that's why they are used in paternity tests etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by VokeA
Gene markers are to check for the DNA fragment as not all plasmids take up the fragment during transformation.

Sorry I can't help with the sanger method much, but I think gel electrophoresis comes under it you can separate lengths of DNA with the specific terminator nucleotide

Genetic fingerprinting compares the DNA core sequences (repeating lengths of introns) of individuals. The more similar they are, the more closely related they are - that's why they are used in paternity tests etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks . .do you know about the restriction mapping ?
Reply 3
Original post by souhm
thanks . .do you know about the restriction mapping ?

I know how to do it (depending on the q) but explaining it would be difficult. I think the textbook is decent in explaining it though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest