The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
The fact that people always refer to the IB market as representative of the whole graduate market baffles me.

Warwick, and possibly UCL, are in the top six for IB, yes. They are not in the top six for every subject or graduate market. Warwick, in particular, is barely top ten outside maths, econ and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you talking about?

WBS is one of the top business schools in Europe, Maths, Econ, Pol, History, Film, History of Art, English.

That's already majority of UGS done.

Outside of IB, Law and Strategy Consulting, there are very few sectors where university rep matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Newcastle456
What are you talking about?

WBS is one of the top business schools in Europe, Maths, Econ, Pol, History, Film, History of Art, English.

That's already majority of UGS done.

Outside of IB, Law and Strategy Consulting, there are very few sectors where university rep matters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, Economics, Politics, History, Film, History of Art and English at the Warwick Business School.

Okay pal, got the message :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Maths, Economics, Politics, History, Film, History of Art and English at the Warwick Business School.

Okay pal, got the message :rolleyes:

There was a comma, at no point did I say they were at the business school. The least you can do is read the post properly before replying.

Anyway, with all due respect, I am sure you think you are a big dog and god bless you. However, at end of day, what you think is irrelevant. Tables, rankings, ref, anyone can go check. The data is all available. Whether you like it or refuse to believe it, Warwick is in top 7 of all domestic overall rankings and ~ top 90 in all world. In fact, it's never been outside top 10, to argue it's not a top 10 UK university is just ludicrous.

As an alumnus of the Economics faculty, I have no reason to stand up for other departments, but all arguments need to be based on reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
There was a comma, at no point did I say they were at the business school. The least you can do is read the post properly before replying.

Anyway, with all due respect, I am sure you think you are a big dog and god bless you. However, at end of day, what you think is irrelevant. Tables, rankings, ref, anyone can go check. The data is all available. Whether you like it or refuse to believe it, Warwick is in top 7 of all domestic overall rankings and top 90 in all world.

As an alumnus of the Economics faculty, I have no reason to stand up for other departments, but all arguments need to be based on reality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'm a big dog? Hahaha...

Outside its Maths/Econ and a few other courses, Warwick is not in the top 6 - that's for sure. No matter how hard Warwick students try to sell themselves.

The very fact that you rely on tables as a measure of reputation just shows your own limited knowledge knowledge. Surrey was, the other year, higher than Imperial for Maths, so it MUST be true, eh?

For IB? Yes, Warwick is pretty good. For consulting? Good too, but to a much lesser extent. Oxbridge dominate here, followed by LSE. For law, it's no better than Exeter, to give an example.

Please.

Outside its Maths/Econ and a few other courses, Warwick is not in the top 6 - that's for sure. No matter how hard Warwick students try to sell themselves.

The very fact that you rely on tables as a measure of reputation just shows your own limited knowledge knowledge. Surrey was, the other year, higher than Imperial for Maths, so it MUST be true, eh?

For IB? Yes, Warwick is pretty good. For consulting? Good too, but to a much lesser extent. Oxbridge dominate here, followed by LSE. For law, it's no better than Exeter, to give an example.

Please.

Lol, ok: http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please.

There's a difference between relying and recognising for 50 years the university has never been outside the top 10 on any domestic overall ranking.

Also for clarification, I'm a Warwick alum and a Cambridge student. Not a Warwick student.

Having worked in 8 different sectors, fair to say I have a decent idea about what I'm talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, because that is a definitive guide of reputation.Turns out it's even better than UCL and LSE :colonhash:
There's a difference between relying and recognising for 50 years the university has never been outside the top 10 on any domestic overall ranking.

Also for clarification, I'm a Warwick alum and a Cambridge student. Not a Warwick student.

Having worked in 8 different sectors, fair to say I have a decent idea about what I'm talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked you a question: Surrey was above Imperial here. Do you think Surrey is a better uni than Imperial?

Being an alumnus (alum is a chemical compound) means that you studied there. It changes nothing in terms of needing to improve your university's image.

And I am sure you do - as is evident from your reliance on domestic tables.
Yes, because that is a definitive guide of reputation.Turns out it's even better than UCL and LSE :colonhash:

It's a pretty good guide, and in my opinion an accurate representation..

From speaking to a fair number of recruiters in the London legal sector, this is how they 'bucketed' out universities for representation and where they recruit/receive most applications from - not in order:

Bucket 1
- Cambridge
- Oxford

Bucket 2
- Bristol
- Durham
- LSE
- KCL
- Manchester (possibly)
- Nottingham
- UCL
- Warwick

Bucket 3
- Birmingham
- Exeter
- Leeds
- Sheffield
- QMUL
- etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please.

Can't help but agree.
I asked you a question: Surrey was above Imperial here. Do you think Surrey is a better uni than Imperial?

Being an alumnus (alum is a chemical compound) means that you studied there. It changes nothing in terms of needing to improve your university's image.

And I am sure you do - as is evident from your reliance on domestic tables.

I abbreviated a word, I think it's getting pretty desperate.

It will serve you well in life and your studies if you make judgements based on empirical evidence. Our friend has already shown you how law firms recruit.

I think there is no more to be said, wish you good day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I abbreviated a word, I think it's getting pretty desperate.

It will serve you well in life and your studies if you make judgements based on empirical evidence. Our friend has already shown you how law firms recruit.

I think there is no more to be said, wish you good day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You did not - let's be honest here.

Well, you can believe whatever you want. If you think Warwick is better than LSE and UCL just because these rankings say so, I refuse to accept you have a single idea of how the market works.

Peace.
You did not - let's be honest here.

Well, you can believe whatever you want. If you think Warwick is better than LSE and UCL just because these rankings say so, I refuse to accept you have a single idea of how the market works.

Peace.

Look back to my earlier post about being an Economics alumnus if it makes you happy, the time is on the post.

That's your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

From speaking to a fair number of recruiters in the London legal sector, this is how they 'bucketed' out universities for representation and where they recruit/receive most applications from - not in order:

Bucket 1
- Cambridge
- Oxford

Bucket 2
- Bristol
- Durham
- LSE
- KCL
- Manchester (possibly)
- Nottingham
- UCL
- Warwick

Bucket 3
- Birmingham
- Exeter
- Leeds
- Sheffield
- QMUL
- etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, that's pretty contrary to my experience.

I'd argue it's -

Bucket 1- Cambridge- Oxford
Bucket 2- Bristol- Durham- LSE- KCL- Nottingham- UCL
Bucket 3- Birmingham- Exeter- Manchester- Warwick- QMUL.
And so on.

I've been to three insight days thus far, and while they are not openly talking about this, you can see the numbers.

When I went to Shearman's Head Start, there was just 1 (out of about 35) from Warwick, having studied Economics (in fact, the two trainees that gave us a presentation on a case study were both from Exeter)

At Burges Salmon, there was none from Warwick.
Same at a CMS.
Look back to my earlier post about being an Economics alumnus if it makes you happy, the time is on the post.

That's your choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to bother - alum is not in any way an abbreviation of the word alumnus (not even the gender agrees).

But this is off-topic.
Original post by Princepieman

Bucket 1
- Cambridge
- Oxford

Bucket 2
- Bristol
- Durham
- LSE
- KCL
- Manchester (possibly)
- Nottingham
- UCL
- Warwick

Bucket 3
- Birmingham
- Exeter
- Leeds
- Sheffield
- QMUL
- etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's pretty obvious what's going on here. He's an Exeter student desperate to promote it.

Exeter is good for law, but being someone who doesn't follow evidence, I'd be pretty mortified if he was my representative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Come on, you know better than this. Warwick's law school is by no means special. Just look at the staff who teach there -- it's very weak. They manage to bring in decent AAA students owning largely to the uni's international IB rep, but that's where the success of the school stems from. A whole range of mathmos and econs no doubt switch to the and this increases overall uptake, but it's pretty daft to suggest its LLB somehow special. It is most definitely not.

The university is very good; just be happy with that. You don't have to argue that it's elite where it's not.
I think it's pretty obvious what's going on here. He's an Exeter student desperate to promote it.

Exeter is good for law, but being someone who doesn't follow evidence, I'd be pretty mortified if he was my representative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's a Bristol law student with no ties to Exeter. Maybe he's not simply biased but rather someone who knows what they're talking about?
Hmm, that's pretty contrary to my experience.

I'd argue it's -

Bucket 1- Cambridge- Oxford
Bucket 2- Bristol- Durham- LSE- KCL- Nottingham- UCL
Bucket 3- Birmingham- Exeter- Manchester- Warwick- QMUL.
And so on.

I've been to three insight days thus far, and while they are not openly talking about this, you can see the numbers.

When I went to Shearman's Head Start, there was just 1 (out of about 35) from Warwick, having studied Economics (in fact, the two trainees that gave us a presentation on a case study were both from Exeter)

At Burges Salmon, there was none from Warwick.
Same at a CMS.

Ok, so you went to 2 firms and now you've deduced that Warwick is in the tier below?

I've spoken to recruiters at CC, S&M, LL, FF, Latham, Weil, etc and they all firmly place Warwick in the 2nd bucket. Spent a week at CC for one of their early insight programmes and the ratio of Warwick students resembled the other bucket 2s, not the bucket 3s.

Even just a cursory glance at the sponsors for Warwick's Law division within WFS, or the on-campus events vs other bucket 3s would point out how ridiculous placing them in the same group would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's not an Exeter student (Bristol actually), but he does seem to have a vendetta against Warwick..

Posted from TSR Mobile