The Student Room Group

Is this enough disposable income?

I am planning on moving out of my parents home and living with a friend, I have worked out how much my rent/bills/food/petrol/car insurance and tax/pet insurance/dog food/phone bill etc. comes to and taken this off my monthly pay (after tax) and have found that I will have around £180-£200 a month leftover for things like going out (i don't drink much so go out rarely, maybe once a month at most..), coffees/lunch/dinner out with friends which also doesn't happen very regularly, clothes, emergencies (not sure what an example is - car going wrong or something!) and anything else I want but isn't included in the list above (bills rent etc.)

Is £180-£200 a month enough disposable income? This is basically the money for things I don't need (unless it's an emergency with my car or something!) but want. Seeing friends usually involves at least some money being spent but generally not that much. It does mean that I won't be saving much/at all, maybe some months if I have a quiet month I will be able to put away £100 or something..

How much do you have left after ALL the essentials are paid for? Do you think I will have enough?
Original post by rgh22
I am planning on moving out of my parents home and living with a friend, I have worked out how much my rent/bills/food/petrol/car insurance and tax/pet insurance/dog food/phone bill etc. comes to and taken this off my monthly pay (after tax) and have found that I will have around £180-£200 a month leftover for things like going out (i don't drink much so go out rarely, maybe once a month at most..), coffees/lunch/dinner out with friends which also doesn't happen very regularly, clothes, emergencies (not sure what an example is - car going wrong or something!) and anything else I want but isn't included in the list above (bills rent etc.)

Is £180-£200 a month enough disposable income? This is basically the money for things I don't need (unless it's an emergency with my car or something!) but want. Seeing friends usually involves at least some money being spent but generally not that much. It does mean that I won't be saving much/at all, maybe some months if I have a quiet month I will be able to put away £100 or something..

How much do you have left after ALL the essentials are paid for? Do you think I will have enough?

I had about £200 left a month at uni and it was more than enough, i spent over £200 on holidays each year i was there so i recon you'll be fine.
It should be enough. A lot of people have much less than that. If that was me, I'd save some of that too, just in case you are short one month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending