The Student Room Group

Past Papers? Revision day before?

Just some general questions, I have my GCSEs next month and was wondering for maths and sciences are past papers the way to go?? Should I do basically all of them for my exam board (AQA) or just a few from each unit?
And I've basically made all my notes and have a good understanding of all topics but at gcse can you get away from reading and learning your GCSE notes the few days before the exam and still get A*s?
I got 7 A*s 3As for my mocks and am predicted all 10 but does cramming work at gcse?? I'm good at languages and humanities, it's just maths english sciences i struggle with.

One final question...how do you revise for english language?! (board CIE)

Maths and sciences definitely do past papers, at least that's what I do for edexcel. I do some exam board for English as you, I just do past papers for practice and familiarise myself with the areas they give marks by looking at the Mark scheme
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sunny181113
Just some general questions, I have my GCSEs next month and was wondering for maths and sciences are past papers the way to go?? Should I do basically all of them for my exam board (AQA) or just a few from each unit?
And I've basically made all my notes and have a good understanding of all topics but at gcse can you get away from reading and learning your GCSE notes the few days before the exam and still get A*s?
I got 7 A*s 3As for my mocks and am predicted all 10 but does cramming work at gcse?? I'm good at languages and humanities, it's just maths english sciences i struggle with.

Hey, for maths and science past papers are the way to go and I'm trying to do at least all of the past papers twice as the examiners tend to recycle questions but just change the numbers a bit. For maths I would also recommend youtube videos and a channel called hegartymaths.
I don't do the same exam board as you for english but make sure that you know different language techniques and that you also know quotesfrom the text and play that you are studying.

Good luck

If you need any help then feel free to pm me :smile:

For language I'm with CIE aswell just do past papers and for maths what exam board are you doing?
Reply 4
PM me x
Original post by zXcodeXz
For language I'm with CIE aswell just do past papers and for maths what exam board are you doing?

Edexcel igcse, someone told me that doing lots of past papers for maths means that i've covered basically every type of question that can come up?? Is that true?
Original post by the-future-medic
Hey, for maths and science past papers are the way to go and I'm trying to do at least all of the past papers twice as the examiners tend to recycle questions but just change the numbers a bit. For maths I would also recommend youtube videos and a channel called hegartymaths.
I don't do the same exam board as you for english but make sure that you know different language techniques and that you also know quotesfrom the text and play that you are studying.

Good luck

If you need any help then feel free to pm me :smile:

thanks :smile: how would you recommend revising for the weird graph and interpretation questions? Especially for biology sometimes the questions are quoted so weirdly :frown:
Edexcel igcse, someone told me that doing lots of past papers for maths means that i've covered basically every type of question that can come up?? Is that true?

Well if you do like a lot of past papers like: 2014, 2013, 2012 then pretty much you have but they might twist the questions like they might add another question to it
thanks :smile: how would you recommend revising for the weird graph and interpretation questions? Especially for biology sometimes the questions are quoted so weirdly :frown:

Yeah..I know. For those types of questions i look at the graph and look at what both the axis are trying to tell me. For example the y axis might be telling me about the population and the x axis might be on the number of cases.
So if the question is asking 'depending on the number of people vaccinated the number of cases will be less', so basically the question is asking if more people are vaccinated then the amount of cases will be smaller and if the line is smaller then the statement is correct.

Hope i was able to help in some way :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest