The Student Room Group

Doctor at the age of 22!!!

Scroll to see replies

Age doesn't usually affect uni applications. Back in primary school I was moved up a school year and it hasn't affected me at all (apart from having to have vaccinations with a younger year group). I've also been assured that it won't affect me applying for universities in a few years
Original post by Princepieman
The second one is the guy I'm talking about lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok

Personally, I feel like he's wasting his talent a bit if he's working in trading at a bank. He's clearly a really intelligent guy at mathematics- maybe he could have made the most of his potential if he got a PhD and worked I research or something. Apparently, according to the daily mail, he originally stated he wanted to a PhD, but I guess he's changed.
Original post by MildredMalone
Good for her!

And she's a real doctor, not an academic "doctor."
Doctor versus doctorate: learn about health and medicine and surgery, or create new knowledge in a field you're passionate about.

I know which I'd rather do.
Original post by Trapz99
Oh ok

Personally, I feel like he's wasting his talent a bit if he's working in trading at a bank. He's clearly a really intelligent guy at mathematics- maybe he could have made the most of his potential if he got a PhD and worked I research or something. Apparently, according to the daily mail, he originally stated he wanted to a PhD, but I guess he's changed.

Lol, dude, the guy has made the best choice. Getting to work for one of the best banks in the world at the age of 18. It gives him time to make his money early, get some solid brand recognition and then leave when he's made enough money.

And it's his conscious choice to head into finance, you never know he might actually really enjoy the more complex derivative products out there involving lots of Maths. Not every gifted Mathmo will be interested in pursuing research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, dude, the guy has made the best choice. Getting to work for one of the best banks in the world at the age of 18. It gives him time to make his money early, get some solid brand recognition and then leave when he's made enough money.

And it's his conscious choice to head into finance, you never know he might actually really enjoy the more complex derivative products out there involving lots of Maths. Not every gifted Mathmo will be interested in pursuing research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guess... I know it's his conscious choice and he should do what he enjoys.
Original post by sandvika
suck a dick

That is rude. Why you mad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but trading is literally a waste of his potential. he's clearly a genius and could change the world if he went into teaching/research instead of trading at a bank, just making money. Obviously he can do what he wants but it's sad how these trading jobs can drain so much talent.
Original post by Ladbants
Yeah but trading is literally a waste of his potential. he's clearly a genius and could change the world if he went into teaching/research instead of trading at a bank, just making money. Obviously he can do what he wants but it's sad how these trading jobs can drain so much talent.

Take this discussion somewhere else guys.
Original post by Tootles
Doctor versus doctorate: learn about health and medicine and surgery, or create new knowledge in a field you're passionate about.

I know which I'd rather do.

It's not about the merits of either position, just the title. Like another poster said, maybe the word they're referred to as shouldn't be "doctor", but "scientist" or something. Science pretty means "knowledge", so that would be better.
Original post by Trapz99
I wasn't saying they aren't intelligent enough or good enough to be doctors or anything like that, I was saying that calling them doctors is misleading since most people might think that they are medical professionals.

People holding PhDs/ DPhils are the real doctors imo

Healthcare doctors are 'physicians'
Original post by Ladbants

Not everyone wants to 'change the world'. Some people want to be stimulated, challenged and remunerated for their intelligence.

What you perceive to be a 'waste' is what the government perceives as tax revenue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I appreciate that it is confusing having academic doctorates and medical doctors, both of whom can use the title 'Dr.'. However, the title 'Dr.' for academic PhDs has been around since the medieval times (see here) and a medical degree is a level 7 degree (equivalent to masters level, see here), so it is actually below the level of a PhD

Of course, I'm not saying that a medical degree is easy, but neither is a PhD
Not everyone wants to 'change the world'. Some people want to be stimulated, challenged and remunerated for their intelligence.

What you perceive to be a 'waste' is what the government perceives as tax revenue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Changing the world does also involve people being stimulated, challenged and renumerated for their intelligence.

Of course, until you shove your money in another country to avoid giving that tax revenue :tongue:
Original post by Trapz99
I wasn't saying they aren't intelligent enough or good enough to be doctors or anything like that, I was saying that calling them doctors is misleading since most people might think that they are medical professionals.

No you said they aren't real doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Serine Soul
Changing the world does also involve people being stimulated, challenged and renumerated for their intelligence.

Of course, until you shove your money in another country to avoid giving that tax revenue :tongue:

Original post by AmazingArry
No you said they aren't real doctors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by *Interrobang*
I appreciate that it is confusing having academic doctorates and medical doctors, both of whom can use the title 'Dr.'. However, the title 'Dr.' for academic PhDs has been around since the medieval times (see here) and a medical degree is a level 7 degree (equivalent to masters level, see here), so it is actually below the level of a PhD

Of course, I'm not saying that a medical degree is easy, but neither is a PhD

People holding PhDs/ DPhils are the real doctors imo

Healthcare doctors are 'physicians'

Original post by MildredMalone
It's not about the merits of either position, just the title. Like another poster said, maybe the word they're referred to as shouldn't be "doctor", but "scientist" or something. Science pretty means "knowledge", so that would be better.

Ok guys, I know I'm the one who caused this thread to go so off-topic but let's stop now! Just appreciate how intelligent that young doctor is.
Original post by Trapz99
Ok guys, I know I'm the one who caused this thread to go so off-topic but let's stop now! Just appreciate how intelligent that young doctor is.

Yes they are clearly very intelligent. Altho I'm not sure I agree with someone starting a medical/teaching/nursing/etc. degree before the age of 18. The Oxford/Cambridge medical degrees I believe are slightly different, with placements not starting straight away, but I don't think it's appropriate for someone who isn't legally an adult to begin that sort of training. I'm not even sure I agree with people starting normal degrees before they are 18, for the social/life reasons, rather than the ability to cope with the academic requirements
Original post by Trapz99

She's very intelligent :yep:

Let's hope she decides to apply her intelligence to the field of medical research after getting a PhD and becoming a real doctor! :wink:
She's very intelligent :yep:

Let's hope she decides to apply her intelligence to the field of medical research after getting a PhD and becoming a real doctor! :wink:

Lol

Is that what you want to do? A PhD and medical research?
Original post by Trapz99
Lol

A PhD holder is a real doctor imo, and someone with my a medical degree is really just an 'honorary' doctor really. The word comes from the Latin, docere, meaning to teach. Doctors are academics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Lol

Hopefully, yes. If it's too difficult, I'd like to go into teaching :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending