The Student Room Group

Mergers and Acquisitions vs Sales and Trading

Just want a few questions answered please:

What are the differences in working hours?

What are the differences in salary including bonuses?

What are the differences in career progression like?

And lastly what exit opportunities do both provide?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axlerod

Thanks!

Google is your friend bro.. This has been discussed a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Axlerod

Thanks!

M&A>Sales>Trading in terms of hours they work

M&A earns more in the junior years than trading, not a big difference though and the top traders still warm quite a lot

They all have the same procedure Analyst, Associate, Vice President, Director, Managing Director

M&A has better opportunities than sales or trading. M&A people can move into private equity, hedge funds and consulting, among some other stuff. S&Ts can only really either stay in the bank, move banks or work at a hedge fund if they're lucky.
Original post by Axlerod

Thanks!

Ugh, Trapz99 being the good dude that he is has replied anyway..

But:

1. IBD is more 70-100+ hours a week with average of 70-85 as an analyst. Dropping down to 65-90, average of 70 as an associate, then not much more than 60-70 as a VP or above.

S&T in most non-complex markets is ~55-60 hours a week. Typically, 6/7am til 5:30pm to 6:30pm. More complex desks (structured products, exotics) could clock more than that think ~70-75 hours/week. S&T is more uniformly the same across every level of seniority

2. Average banker makes more than the average trader, best trader makes more than the best banker

3. Standard career progression at a bank

4. IBD: Corporate Development (internal M&A at a corporation), Corporate Strategy (internal consulting at a corporation), Private Equity, hedge funds (l/s equity, merger arb, event driven, activist etc), move to another bank, corporate finance at a corporation, startups, MBA, venture capital etc

Trading: Another bank in the same role, a hedge fund corresponding to the product they trade (commodities to commodities HF/physical commods house, FX/Rates to global macro, credit (CDS, MBS etc) to credit hedge fund) some form of money markets trader in corporate treasury of a corporations

Sales: Sales at another bank, investor relations at an HF, if you're lucky enough to cover HFs and network like hell, you could get a gig at a HF in either a PM or Analyst role, any old sales in a corporation

Research: (equity) Same as banking bar PE. (FICC) same as trading but in analyst roles rather than PM/Trader.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman

But:

1. IBD is more 70-100+ hours a week with average of 70-85 as an analyst. Dropping down to 65-90, average of 70 as an associate, then not much more than 60-70 as a VP or above.

S&T in most non-complex markets is ~55-60 hours a week. Typically, 6/7am til 5:30pm to 6:30pm. More complex desks (structured products, exotics) could clock more than that think ~70-75 hours/week. S&T is more uniformly the same across every level of seniority

2. Average banker makes more than the average trader, best trader makes more than the best banker

4. IBD: Corporate Development (internal M&A at a corporation), Corporate Strategy (internal consulting at a corporation), Private Equity, hedge funds (l/s equity, merger arb, event driven, activist etc), move to another bank, corporate finance at a corporation, startups, MBA, venture capital etc

Trading: Another bank in the same role, a hedge fund corresponding to the product they trade (commodities to commodities HF/physical commods house, FX/Rates to global macro, credit (CDS, MBS etc) to credit hedge fund) some form of money markets trader in corporate treasury of a corporations

Sales: Sales at another bank, investor relations at an HF, if you're lucky enough to cover HFs and network like hell, you could get a gig at a HF in either a PM or Analyst role, any old sales in a corporation

Research: (equity) Same as banking bar PE. (FICC) same as trading but in analyst roles rather than PM/Trader.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I saw an opportunity to be the better man but I guess I failed now that you've written him this massive essay lol
Reply 5

But:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So can you do sales and trading then do an MBA and move over to M&A at associate level?
Original post by Axlerod
So can you do sales and trading then do an MBA and move over to M&A at associate level?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Same for a MSc in Finance?
Original post by Axlerod
Same for a MSc in Finance?

A post-experience one (ala LBS'), yeah. Pre-experience MFins are for people recruiting into Analyst positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
A post-experience one (ala LBS':wink:, yeah. Pre-experience MFins are for people recruiting into Analyst positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank youuuuuu
Reply 10
A post-experience one (ala LBS':wink:, yeah. Pre-experience MFins are for people recruiting into Analyst positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just revisiting to ask a quick question; can a MSc in finance lead straight into private equity? If so what position would you start as? Thankssss
Original post by Axlerod
Just revisiting to ask a quick question; can a MSc in finance lead straight into private equity? If so what position would you start as? Thankssss

Lol no. An MSc is literally just a chance at applying for grad schemes again, so the same grad PE roles available to bachelors students - i.e. Blackstone, 3i and Terra Firma. There is no premium attached to an MSc.

PE requires IBD/top tier consulting experience for the vast majority of cases. Others sneak in through Big4 Audit -> Big4 CorpFin, but they are the minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Lol no. An MSc is literally just a chance at applying for grad schemes again, so the same grad PE roles available to bachelors students - i.e. Blackstone, 3i and Terra Firma. There is no premium attached to an MSc.

PE requires IBD/top tier consulting experience for the vast majority of cases. Others sneak in through Big4 Audit -> Big4 CorpFin, but they are the minority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not even a post experience one like the one from LBS?
Original post by Axlerod
Not even a post experience one like the one from LBS?

Nope, you need PE experience pre-MBA/pre-post-experience MFin (that doesn't even make sense lol), to get a PE gig after.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really like the sound of M&A. The market isn't all that exciting on it's own, in my opinion. Deals seem far more interesting, especially as you progress higher (implying PE>HF, probably). Would probably prefer that kind of work.
Reply 15
Original post by Mathstatician
I really like the sound of M&A. The market isn't all that exciting on it's own, in my opinion. Deals seem far more interesting, especially as you progress higher (implying PE>HF, probably). Would probably prefer that kind of work.

Both appeal to me tbh, S&T has the better hours but M&A has the better exits sooooo 😁
Original post by Axlerod
Both appeal to me tbh, S&T has the better hours but M&A has the better exits sooooo 😁

The hours difference isn't really that much and both areas have good exit opportunities. I would try maybe looking at the division that you actually find interesting???
Yes hours and exit opportunities are factors to be taken into consideration but if you are already worried about the hours and basing which area you want to work in by exit opportunities when you haven't even finished GCSEs, you probably wouldn't last very long imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Daniel9998
The hours difference isn't really that much and both areas have good exit opportunities. I would try maybe looking at the division that you actually find interesting???
Yes hours and exit opportunities are factors to be taken into consideration but if you are already worried about the hours and basing which area you want to work in by exit opportunities when you haven't even finished GCSEs, you probably wouldn't last very long imo.

Everyone keeps telling me I haven't finished my GCSEs 😂 I haveeeee and thanks for the advice
Original post by Axlerod
Everyone keeps telling me I haven't finished my GCSEs 😂 I haveeeee and thanks for the advice

ahaha sorry thats just what I read on another post
Original post by Axlerod

Careful not to keep your eye on the future too much. This may be the most hypocritical ******** you'll hear on here but it's probably true. It's easy to get caught up in future optimisation and not take into account what you actually enjoy, working instead on what will yield the best thing later, but it's a perpetual cycle and always grasping at something you can never touch or taste, chasing a fantasy that will never come to fruition because you can't stop wanting more, bigger, better, harder, faster (,stronger?).

What's your end goal anyway? Say you choose between sales and trading and IBD, you get through a gruelling two years in M&A, then get headhunted by a big PE firm. What then?

I don't want to be giving life lessons because I'm just as much an overzealous, neurotic overachiever with no life and a sad obsession with my career before it's even really relevant but i feel like at this stage you're not exactly sure why you actually want to get into this besides reasons that don't make a lot of sense if you don't know what you want. But all the best to you
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending