The Student Room Group

Goodbye, Dad

Goodbye, Dad

“Alright honey, Mummy’s going to go get a hot chocolate and come back in a bit, will you be alright?” she pinched my cheeks and gave me a kiss. I smiled and nodded in response, and she left the room. I looked around at the large, white room. I didn’t like it, and I bet dad didn’t either. I looked at him, my father, all wired up. I watched his chest rise and fall with every breath, was he there? Could he hear me?

It’s been months since the car accident and since that day,my dad hasn’t opened his eyes. We didn’t speak much because he was always busy with work. When he wasn’t at work, he was at home in his office doing more work. Occasionally he’d take me out for ice cream, and we’d talk about our dreams and our ambitions. How we’d move to America and buy a beautiful mansion. But now that is impossible. All his dreams have been shattered, his ambitions destroyed.

I’ve visited, and I’ve talked to him every day. About school, about friends, about… my dreams, and my ambitions. I told him about my plans to make it all become a reality, and how I’d make him proud. It seemed like a one-way conversation but in my heart I felt a connection. Today was different though. The doctors said he wouldn’t make it and it was only a matter of time before the life support machine would have to be turned off. Today was the day.

“Dad I’m so sorry to have to do this, but if you can’t comeback we don’t want to trap you and keep you from going into Heaven to be with grandpa. I know how much you miss him. I hope that you understand that this is not goodbye, and I will see you soon when my time comes.” I reached up to wipe the tears from my eyes when I swore I saw something. I saw his eyelashes flutter,and I saw his fingers twitch. “DAD! Can you hear me?!” I jumped up and ran to find my mother.

“Mum, mum! I saw Dad move, I saw it with my own eyes he’s still in there! He’s gonna make it!” I smiled. My mother looked at me with tired eyes that instantly welled up, dark circles surrounding them. She put her head in her hands and sobbed uncontrollably. “Mum what’s wrong? Mum…” my lips quivered,“Honey your Daddy wants to be free. God will keep him safe, and He will help us. You’re tired baby, and you’re seeing things.”

I begged and begged her, but she put it down to me not sleeping well, or hallucinating. I was sure I saw him move. But she wouldn’t listen. Maybe it was easier to give up on him. The switch was flicked and it wasn’t instant. “He’s gone” at last! He’s free. At least he gets a better view of the world from up there. Goodbye, Dad.

*My submission for the Short Story Competition*
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Heart touching :smile:

Awwwwwwww z! :cry: This is soooo emotional! :hugs: I hope you're OK:jumphug:
(Very well written:yep:)
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Matrix123
Awwwwwwww z! :cry: This is soooo emotional! :hugs: I hope you're OK:jumphug:
(Very well written:yep:)
Posted from TSR Mobile

ahaha it's for that competition
thanks gurl i wrote it at like 4am and didn't know if i should submit but did anyway
hope you liked it :biggrin:
:love:
it can be published :yep:
very sentimental and great :gthumb:
hope you are okay z33 :hugs:
Original post by z33
ahaha it's for that competition
thanks gurl i wrote it at like 4am and didn't know if i should submit but did anyway
hope you liked it :biggrin:

Ohhh I thought it was something you were going through at first, then I read the forum it's under and realised my mistake :facepalm: Wow, you must be a phenomenal writer if you wrote this so early in the morning! :eek: Haha that's the spirit, you might as well submit it :biggrin: best of luck! This does look like a promising winner... :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fatima1998

:yep:
I'd definitely buy it!
Posted from TSR Mobile
nice
Reply 8

:yep:
I'd definitely buy it!
Posted from TSR Mobile

guys omg stop bumping the thread it's so embarrassing :redface: :lol:
i got a C in English mkay there's no way this is publishing standard dont LIE :rofl:
thanks though am fine guys :hugs:
Original post by z33
i got a C in English mkay there's no way this is publishing standard dont LIE :rofl:

OMG... stop somthing... :lol:
and i don't lie :yes:
Original post by z33

Is that language or literature though? :tongue: jk I am not lying z! I can't believe you thought that :colonhash: but suit yourself :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Excellent work z33.
Reply 12
OMG... stop somthing... :lol:
and i don't lie :yes:

awhhhhhh thanks brah :biggrin:

Is that language or literature though? :tongue: jk I am not lying z! I can't believe you thought that :colonhash: but suit yourself :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lit... i got a B in lang :tongue:

o... okeh :hugs: :lol:
Reply 13
Original post by apronedsamurai
Excellent work z33.

Thanks Samurai :biggrin: :smile:
That turned me on
Original post by z33
awhhhhhh thanks brah :biggrin:

Lit... i got a B in lang :tongue:

o... okeh :hugs: :lol:

Ohhh so you just told me the one you were worst at :colonhash: :rofl:
(Sorry, I just find :colonhash: so funny) :tongue:
Well...language is the more creative one do I think that's a good enough justification for how great a writer you are. Either that or this is just a one off amazing piece of writing :ahee:
:hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

my face
is literally : :eek:
OMGGGGGGGGGG :eek3: WHEN THE JOKER CAME
I DIED
I HAD A HEART ATTACK
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG :eek: THAT WAS AWESOME!

Thanks Bane! :hugs: :biggrin: omg... im still shocked I cant :eek3:

Great! you have written the sad situation very well, as if I witnessed as a reader. That was a good short story, compliment to you. What was your inspiration to write about a dying dad?
Original post by z33
Goodbye, Dad

“Alright honey, Mummy’s going to go get a hot chocolate and come back in a bit, will you be alright?” she pinched my cheeks and gave me a kiss. I smiled and nodded in response, and she left the room. I looked around at the large, white room. I didn’t like it, and I bet dad didn’t either. I looked at him, my father, all wired up. I watched his chest rise and fall with every breath, was he there? Could he hear me?

It’s been months since the car accident and since that day,my dad hasn’t opened his eyes. We didn’t speak much because he was always busy with work. When he wasn’t at work, he was at home in his office doing more work. Occasionally he’d take me out for ice cream, and we’d talk about our dreams and our ambitions. How we’d move to America and buy a beautiful mansion. But now that is impossible. All his dreams have been shattered, his ambitions destroyed.

I’ve visited, and I’ve talked to him every day. About school, about friends, about… my dreams, and my ambitions. I told him about my plans to make it all become a reality, and how I’d make him proud. It seemed like a one-way conversation but in my heart I felt a connection. Today was different though. The doctors said he wouldn’t make it and it was only a matter of time before the life support machine would have to be turned off. Today was the day.

“Dad I’m so sorry to have to do this, but if you can’t comeback we don’t want to trap you and keep you from going into Heaven to be with grandpa. I know how much you miss him. I hope that you understand that this is not goodbye, and I will see you soon when my time comes.” I reached up to wipe the tears from my eyes when I swore I saw something. I saw his eyelashes flutter,and I saw his fingers twitch. “DAD! Can you hear me?!” I jumped up and ran to find my mother.

“Mum, mum! I saw Dad move, I saw it with my own eyes he’s still in there! He’s gonna make it!” I smiled. My mother looked at me with tired eyes that instantly welled up, dark circles surrounding them. She put her head in her hands and sobbed uncontrollably. “Mum what’s wrong? Mum…” my lips quivered,“Honey your Daddy wants to be free. God will keep him safe, and He will help us. You’re tired baby, and you’re seeing things.”

I begged and begged her, but she put it down to me not sleeping well, or hallucinating. I was sure I saw him move. But she wouldn’t listen. Maybe it was easier to give up on him. The switch was flicked and it wasn’t instant. “He’s gone” at last! He’s free. At least he gets a better view of the world from up there. Goodbye, Dad.

*My submission for the Short Story Competition*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY HEART MY HEART !
Please don't tell me it's true :cry2: :cry2:

And it's an amazing read I could feel the emotion omg omg Z you are an excellent writter :eek3: :ahee: :ahee: :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest