The Student Room Group

MDMA soon to be prescribed in the US - why are we so far behind?

The rest of the world is starting to take a more liberal (and evidence-based) stance on drugs, and seeing huge benefits and reduced drug use. Meanwhile the UK is very literally attempting to criminalize everything.

PTSD is a condition suffered by abuse victims, soldiers, and many others. It's a chronic condition that ruins lives, and there are very few treatments for it. MDMA has unrivalled potential in treating PTSD, in combination with therapy. The US FDA is moving towards approving it for medical use.

This should have happened decades ago, but our drug laws are a HUGE barrier to research. People have been suffering with PTSD with no effective treatment for all this time, while we've had one (quite literally for some people) under our noses.

What justification is there for these draconian drug laws? Soldiers are coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq with crippling mental health problems, we have a drug to treat it, but we tell them "nah **** off mate, drugs are bad".

THESE LAWS DON'T EVEN STOP PEOPLE USING DRUGS RECREATIONALLY. I can't fathom how anyone can possibly support them when they prevent people using drugs medicinally. Are people really so utterly, disgustingly deluded and wrapped up in their own ****ing propaganda that we're denying people with chronic illnesses the help that they need? It's absolutely barbaric.

Oh, and let's not forget, if these people dare try to treat their PTSD themselves, we arrest them AND THROW THEM IN ****ING PRISON.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
The rest of the world is starting to take a more liberal (and evidence-based) stance on drugs, and seeing huge benefits and reduced drug use.

I'm generally in favour of decriminalisation and licencing medical professionals to prescribe recreational drugs if they believe they will benefit patients but your first line here is basically unsubstantiated.
I prescribe it to myself every Saturday.
but the comedown is awful? and it hasn't got a long life? how?
MDMA is a hell of a drug - although I don't deny it is amazing, it *will* have effects on your long term brain chemistry
right now, after using it occasionally throughout 2015, I'm having a year free of it - don't underestimate its potential to cloud your overall brain efficiency
also - some people get comedowns and some don't. you will get worse comedowns the more you use it (frequency and dosage)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Yeah, because everyone who uses MDMA uses it to treat PTSD
Original post by Abolisher
I prescribe it to myself every Saturday.

I wouldn't do that - even after using it on average once per 1.5 months in 2015 I now feel the negative effects
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I'm generally in favour of decriminalisation and licencing medical professionals to prescribe recreational drugs if they believe they will benefit patients but your first line here is basically unsubstantiated.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/24/medical-experts-call-for-global-drug-decriminalisation

Original post by FarageCollage
MDMA is a hell of a drug - although I don't deny it is amazing, it *will* have effects on your long term brain chemistry
right now, after using it occasionally throughout 2015, I'm having a year free of it - don't underestimate its potential to cloud your overall brain efficiency
also - some people get comedowns and some don't. you will get worse comedowns the more you use it (frequency and dosage)

Abusing any substance is going to have negative effects. I don't think that's a reason for trying (and failing) to restrict its use. And it certainly isn't a good reason to prevent its use in medical applications.
I wouldn't do that - even after using it on average once per 1.5 months in 2015 I now feel the negative effects

I don't seem to get many sides/comedowns. My heads always been pretty fxcked up anyway.
Original post by JordanL_
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/24/medical-experts-call-for-global-drug-decriminalisation

Abusing any substance is going to have negative effects. I don't think that's a reason for trying (and failing) to restrict its use. And it certainly isn't a good reason to prevent its use in medical applications.

I never claimed to want to restrict its usage, either medical or recreational - before you make these kinds of assumptions, just ask first because I think there's absolutely no point in banning even addictive or dangerous drugs.
I don't seem to get many sides/comedowns. My heads always been pretty fxcked up anyway.

I'm just making suggestions here - how long have you been using mdma like this?
I'm just making suggestions here - how long have you been using mdma like this?

Since just before Christmas
Since just before Christmas

and have you actually been using it each weekend? or has this just been recent? I wouldn't make such a gamble with your brain health - if you used it maybe a few times a year I wouldn't be saying this but if it's a few times a *month* then that can be quite drastic
I never claimed to want to restrict its usage, either medical or recreational - before you make these kinds of assumptions, just ask first because I think there's absolutely no point in banning even addictive or dangerous drugs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you did.
MDMA is amazing ngl
Original post by chickenfoot
but the comedown is awful? and it hasn't got a long life? how?

A theraputic dose is probably going to be around 10x lower than a recreational dose. I think I have read something like 30 mg for a theraputic dose and then like 300-500 for recreational (although judging by the way this thread is already going I would imagine someone is about to start bragging about taking more than that).

So yeah people are probably not going to be high on prescribed doses and they're not going to get significant side effects either. This isn't like cannabis where the pain relief dose is basically the same as a psychoactive dose.
As far as I'm aware, it it used in guided therapy sessions, often along side the sufferers partner, because it allows you to open up about the situations that have scared you but without becoming negatively attached to the feelings that usually arise from remembering said situations.
And it's not as if they're bombing a half g and gurning their tits off... If it's synthesised legally, I can't see a problem with it.
People like Peter Hitchens place greater value on the morality behind the law rather than its effectiveness.

I've actually taken MDMA (and it was amazing) but tbh if you're not a particularly stable person I can imagine it is very dangerous.

I support drug legalisation not because of some libertarian 'I do whatever I want' bs but because

A) it is no more dangerous than alcohol or even sugar in most cases,

B) prevention has clearly failed and has become a goverent racket for crime gangs

C) it puts people into prison who get worse

D) it will bring in revenue and save money via C and B
Reply 18
Don't pretend as though you care one slither of a nanosecond for people suffering from PTSD. Those who want these sorts of drugs legalised want so for their own selfish reasons, in this case so that you can feign illness and receive the drugs too.

I truly have no time for anyone so pathetic that they can't just get up and enjoy life, let alone just get on with it without using and coming to rely on drugs.

"Caffeine is a drug too!" You screech, your eyes scarlet and wildly dilated, with a dirty fingernail pointing in accusation far to my left "And what about prescribed medicine from doctors? I bet you can hardly get out of bed without those Setraline tablets you have every morning!"

'Drugs' like caffeine and those prescribed by doctors of course are fine to have. They've gone through lengthy testing processes and have been proven to be more or less harmless. The solution isn't to just blindly legalise all substances and then wait and see what the biggest killer is. According to 'FRANK', 670 people in England and Wales have died because of MDMA in the last 20 years or so. I don't think they'd continue to sell Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Cereal if it had killed that many people.

The amount of nonsense reports that cannabis helps illnesses such as multiple sclerosis and cancer are all BS too. Setting fire to leaves and breathing in the throat cilia-destroying smoke doesn't stop cancer cells dividing or restore scarred brain tissue.

The amount of middle class kids who are so up their own arses and "whose' lives are just so stressful" who turn to drugs is just pathetic really. Did Mummy refuse to pay your car insurance this year and now you can't afford to go to some filthy Spanish resort for a sleazy weekend in the Summer?

Get some perspective and focus on some real problems. I don't know why 'people' have seemed to developed some insane belief that they can have and do whatever they want so long as they've decided that it's good for them. The level of entitlement is unparalleled in any society or culture of history. It's just decadence for the sake of it that has been allowed because of a decline in legitimate cultural and societal direction and authority.
Original post by Roofas
Don't pretend as though you care one slither of a nanosecond for people suffering from PTSD. Those who want these sorts of drugs legalised want so for their own selfish reasons, in this case so that you can feign illness and receive the drugs too.

But people can already get the drugs easier and cheaper than they can get alcohol.

The amount of nonsense reports that cannabis helps illnesses such as multiple sclerosis and cancer are all BS too. Setting fire to leaves and breathing in the throat cilia-destroying smoke doesn't stop cancer cells dividing or restore scarred brain tissue.

Except when it does. Not that smoking is going to be the most widely used cannabis delivery system for ever, especially in a medical context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending