The Student Room Group

CIMA Self Study - Motivation & Goals

Hi

I am currently studying the operational level of CIMA and working my way through F1. I am at the moment suffering a severe lack of motivation to study the subject and I was looking for some advice.

First a little bit of background, before starting CIMA I was completing AAT through an apprenticeship in my former job and I was given time off to go the a local college every month or so to study. Also, as my studies and job were interlinked, as I completed a set of exams, my salary would be increased accordingly so I think that's where the motivation and drive came from. Now, as I was not offered the option to study CIMA as my former employers did not offer it, I took the step of changing jobs and to start with self study. The first few weeks in both my studies and work went well but then that's when the initial enthusiasm stopped.

I struggled to keep to my planned study schedule and would change it daily to reflect this and moved my exam date by around two months as I did not feel up to the exam. It actually took me around ten months to enter my first exam (E1) which was actually February this year. I did pass this first time so I just felt that the initial delay my have been due to settling in my job and recovering from 2nd ACL surgery (rugby injury - extremely long and complicated story haha) .

However, I started again with F1 this March and yet again the same old issues are raising there head. I seem to have no drive to want to study the syllabus, I am constantly moving both my study and exam dates as I cannot really see any benefit for me to study at the moment as I just think at the moment it won't bring me any additional benefits. Work obviously know I am studying but its not actually tied in with my contract and I think that's what I think one of the problems is. Another issue is that as I am self studying from textbooks and the CIMA Study page, I don't have any other students I can talk about the subject with or ask questions, I almost lack competition if that makes sense.

If anybody has any advice or tips that they think might help it would be greatly appreciated, I know what benefits that potentially it can bring me in my future career but a present I cannot seem to get the motivation to do this.
Reply 1
Original post by judging
My advice is get a job where your training is linked and your employer is paying for it. Leaving your current job for a job that's actually going to benefit in the long term is better.
As you have already realised, self studying is not motivating - you'll be better off studying at a proper business school with a set schedule.
Also consider what your motivation is. If it's just pay rises I think you have to change that. Do you actually like management accounting? Do you want to progress in your career and be a chartered management accountant? Or do you want to stay being an accounting technician?
Sorry it is not much advice but I guess no one else has replied so it's better than nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Thanks for your response, I understand your points completely. With regard to my job, I failed to mention that in my current role there is a link with my studies as they are giving me more roles and responsibilities linked to the management accounts so to be fair I am happy there and there is definite progression.

May I ask if you have studied CIMA and how you got the motivation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending