The Student Room Group

exams at the end of the year

Hi

We have exams at the end of the year for the WHOLE year of teaching.

Is this normal for UK unis? I find it extremely difficult to revise 5 courses worth of whole year's teaching

Why don't they have two exam periods and split the volume of information?

any idea?
Lol, you never cease to amaze me studos

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think thats a serous questions m8.
Reply 3
yeah it is, I don't understand your hideous reaction

in Austria afaik they have exams at the end of the SEMESTER not at the end of the WHOLE FKIN year

is this another british unique stupidity?
Reply 4
Original post by studos
Hi

Is this normal for UK unis? I find it extremely difficult to revise 5 courses worth of whole year's teaching

any idea?

Original post by studos

in Austria afaik they have exams at the end of the SEMESTER not at the end of the WHOLE FKIN year

"Life isn't modular, why should exams be?" - that was the answer we were given at a Biology event at Oxford.

A linear exam structure encourages deeper learning, with more of a focus on synoptic learning (i.e. making links between different bits). It also means you have plenty of time to prepare.
No: most have assignments. Some have January exams.
Reply 6
Original post by jamestg
"Life isn't modular, why should exams be?" - that was the answer we were given at a Biology event at Oxford.

A linear exam structure encourages deeper learning, with more of a focus on synoptic learning (i.e. making links between different bits). It also means you have plenty of time to prepare.

Life isn't modular, why should TEACHING be modular then? Stupid sayings

What? deeper learning? ahahahah that's hilarious. The stuff from the first semester are TOTALLY different than the second. There is NO connection at all, apart from Maths.

And there is no more time to prepare at all. Considering it's double the material.
Reply 7
Original post by studos
Life isn't modular, why should TEACHING be modular then? Stupid sayings

What? deeper learning? ahahahah that's hilarious. The stuff from the first semester are TOTALLY different than the second. There is NO connection at all, apart from Maths.

And there is no more time to prepare at all. Considering it's double the material.

You gain very little from learning a module, revising it and then never looking at it again during your time at sixth form/uni.

You signed up for it, so you're going to have to put up with it.
Reply 8
Original post by studos

any idea?

Some do. My undergrad uni had end of year exams only when I was there, now they have exams in January and May. They switched when teaching went from "thin" modules (six modules taught over two terms) to "fat" modules (three modules taught each term, for two terms).

Assessment methods are highly variable as each uni/ department/ course can set their own, so it's one of the criteria prospective students are advised to look at before chhosing courses.
Original post by studos
Hi

any idea?

We have that. Yeah, it is pretty hard but let's be honest, it's the right thing to do. What's the point of studying stuff if you're allowed to just forget it after a few weeks?
Reply 10
Original post by Plagioclase
We have that. Yeah, it is pretty hard but let's be honest, it's the right thing to do. What's the point of studying stuff if you're allowed to just forget it after a few weeks?

Your argument is a joke.
You will forget them either way.
It just takes you more time to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studos
Your argument is a joke.
You will forget them either way.
It just takes you more time to revise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not really true though, of course you'll forget some of it but you're a lot less likely to forget things if you've got the pressure of linear, synoptic exams.
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by studos

Woah... shots fired from studos 🔫
Princepieman vs studos BEEF going down

fight fight fight fight fight👊👊
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Trapz99
Woah... shots fired from studos 🔫
Princepieman vs studos BEEF going down

fight fight fight fight fight👊👊

And you complain why I ignore you....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think it's a British uni thing. At my current uni we have exams in December and May, both of which contribute 50% to the final grade for that year.

Also might be somewhat subject specific? With my subject we also have exams in October and March, on top of the December and May ones. We're the only school in the uni to do that, as far as I'm aware.

All I can say is, I'm glad I don't have a huge exam at the end of the year. I think I'd have a breakdown with all the stuff I'd be expected to know.
Reply 15
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Don't think it's a British uni thing. At my current uni we have exams in December and May, both of which contribute 50% to the final grade for that year.

Also might be somewhat subject specific? With my subject we also have exams in October and March, on top of the December and May ones. We're the only school in the uni to do that, as far as I'm aware.

All I can say is, I'm glad I don't have a huge exam at the end of the year. I think I'd have a breakdown with all the stuff I'd be expected to know.

Yeah I would also love more exams in smaller fractions of the material. Which uni are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
there used to be Jan exams

but they scrapped that because theyre as$holes
Original post by studos
Yeah I would also love more exams in smaller fractions of the material. Which uni are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Andrews :smile:
Sheffield has two exam seasons a year, with midterms and continuous assessment each semester
We had 10 'modules' in first year. In semester 1, there were 2 which had final exams in December (so 10 weeks' teaching then wk 11 was the exam), 1 which had the final exam in January (in the middle of week 2 of the next semester - no separate exam season), and the other 2 exams in May (in the actual exam season). The semester 2 modules, 1 had a wk11 exam before the easter break, the other 4 had exam season exams in May.

A similar thing in second year, but in third year every module's final was in the May exam season.

The ones which fell in semester time were counted as 'class tests' rather than exams (as they're not regulated by the central exam office). I believe that there was a rule about what proportion of your assessments could be done in-department, and what had to be done in central exams.

I do think it is good to have some mid-year assessments (including essays etc) but the end of year exams does help you to have more time to reflect and make connections with what you are actually learning. Wherever you have a test immediately after the last week of teaching, it tended to be more MCQs and more surface-level knowledge. You need synthesis time.

Where I work now, they have two separate exam seasons (whole of January and whole of May) and I think it really disrupts the flow of teaching (especially for those 'long thin' modules).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending