The Student Room Group

How hard is Further Maths A Level?

I want to restart my a levels and was thinking of taking Maths and Further Maths as I am potentially interested in computer science which requires these A Levels to study it at top universities (e.g. UCL and Cambridge). However, I am unsure of whether I would be capable of doing further maths as I only got an A at GCSE. Would I be able to do it or is too much for a person with my mathematical capability? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aj122
I want to restart my a levels and was thinking of taking Maths and Further Maths as I am potentially interested in computer science which requires these A Levels to study it at top universities (e.g. UCL and Cambridge). However, I am unsure of whether I would be capable of doing further maths as I only got an A at GCSE. Would I be able to do it or is too much for a person with my mathematical capability? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone can do it, im not being cheesy. Its all about being curious about maths, wanting to solve problems. If your intrigued youll do more than well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Can be tough depending on what units you choose
Original post by aj122

Sorry but can you just clarify what you mean by this? Are you already in Sixth Form or are you in Year 11?
Reply 4
Original post by BasicMistake
Sorry but can you just clarify what you mean by this? Are you already in Sixth Form or are you in Year 11?

I am already in sixth form however not enjoying my subjects and I require maths for a computer science degree or an economics/finance degree.
Original post by aj122

I only achieved a 'B' at GCSE Maths but I'm on track for A* in Maths and should self teach
majority of FM to a A grade standard over the summer before university.

FM is just more maths content, which providing you're willing to put in the work isn't too difficult
but just a bit time consuming at times, especially with the latter mechanics modules. :shot:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I only achieved a 'B' at GCSE Maths but I'm on track for A* in Maths and should self teach
majority of FM to a A grade standard over the summer before university.

FM is just more maths content, which providing you're willing to put in the work isn't too difficult
but just a bit time consuming at times.

Thanks for the reply. How is the workload and are concepts within further maths difficult? I do not want to take up further maths as it may be too hard however it is a subject that is desired by employers and universities.
How come you are self teaching further maths?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by aj122
I am already in sixth form however not enjoying my subjects and I require maths for a computer science degree or an economics/finance degree.

I'm only in Year 12 so I can only speak for AS level.

You can think of Further maths at AS as 'More Maths'. The modules aren't any harder than normal Maths. This does however require you to work harder and do a lot more practice.

In general, maths requires practice. A at GCSE ought to be fine if you are prepared to stick to it and avoid slacking. Once you do enough past papers of a module, you'll be able to the exam without reading the questions.
Reply 8
It's not too bad. Makes regular maths seem like a pile of piss too. Practice, practice, practice and if you have an aptitude for maths then it's fine
Reply 9
It's not hard as long as you enjoy physics style problems, for mechanics you'd be given a scenario and have to calculate how far a ball is projected, whether an object will topple on a slope or not, whether a ladder will slip at too low of an angle etc, it's just application of concepts, although if you mess up one part of a question, it can cost you a large amount of marks (only 5-7 questions in the exam), an entire question can easily be 16 marks of 75 total.
FP1 is a bit more tedious but it still has useful concepts which you need for maths related courses.
If you're interested in the topics, it's not difficult at all.
Its alright , if i can do it :P
Reply 11
Original post by BasicMistake
I'm only in Year 12 so I can only speak for AS level.

You can think of Further maths at AS as 'More Maths'. The modules aren't any harder than normal Maths. This does however require you to work harder and do a lot more practice.

In general, maths requires practice. A at GCSE ought to be fine if you are prepared to stick to it and avoid slacking. Once you do enough past papers of a module, you'll be able to the exam without reading the questions.

Thanks for the reply. How many hours would it be recommended to do extra work a week if I were to do Further Maths? Moreover, I am unsure of how the modules are taken as I have heard further maths is just the whole maths A Level in one year. If that is the case then you could just drop further maths and maths at as level and walk away with a full maths A level?
I do Further Maths currently alongside Maths (some people sit all of A level maths in one year and Further the next) and its challenging but if youre willing to put the work in its beneficial! Id recommend it if youre planning on studying computer science. I wouldnt worry about your GCSE grade as an A is good, just do some preparation getting your knowledge up before you start the course, you will find that going through Core 1 and 2 is a breeze as your FP1 module is so challenging but gets easier with your the expansion of your Core knowledge. Its as if normal maths is your relaxing session and further maths just gets more manageable with revision. If youre ready to be committed and have your life taken over by six modules each year go for it! its challenging but thats why its so rewarding!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by emilyp2206
I do Further Maths currently alongside Maths (some people sit all of A level maths in one year and Further the next) and its challenging but if youre willing to put the work in its beneficial! Id recommend it if youre planning on studying computer science. I wouldnt worry about your GCSE grade as an A is good, just do some preparation getting your knowledge up before you start the course, you will find that going through Core 1 and 2 is a breeze as your FP1 module is so challenging but gets easier with your the expansion of your Core knowledge. Its as if normal maths is your relaxing session and further maths just gets easier and easier with revision. If youre ready to be committed and have your life taken over by six modules each year go for it! its challenging but thats why its so rewarding!

Thank you for the reply. So what modules are taken in Further Maths? I know for the maths A level it is C1, C2 and S1 (or M1). Moreover, how many hours of revision and extra work for maths and further maths have you been doing (a rough estimate is fine)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 14
Original post by aj122
I have heard further maths is just the whole maths A Level in one year.

It isn't, an example for my school:
Maths (AS&A2) - C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2
Further Maths (AS&A2) - FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, M2, M3/D1 (we get to choose)
You can swap the grades in applied modules (M1/M2, S1/S2) in order to get more balanced grades if you feel necessary, so if you done well in Core, but failed S1, you could swap it for a good M1 grade if it means you get AA instead of AB say.
Original post by aj122
Thanks for the reply. How many hours would it be recommended to do extra work a week if I were to do Further Maths? Moreover, I am unsure of how the modules are taken as I have heard further maths is just the whole maths A Level in one year. If that is the case then you could just drop further maths and maths at as level and walk away with a full maths A level?

It's hard to quantify how much work I do. It really depends if you understand that topic really. For example, I have spent a lot of time on a topic in FP1 about co-ordinate systems but I have literally done no work at home on Kinematics in M1.

Unfortunately, I'm not too sure about how the system works. However, FP1 cannot count towards a 'Maths' A level. Therefore, even if you do 6 modules in AS, if one of them is FP1, you haven't done enough modules for A Level Maths.

At my school we do: (C1 is done in Year 11 for some)
Year 12 - C2, S1, M1, M2 and FP1
Year 13 - C3, C4, FP2, FP3 and options between Mechanics or Statistics

FP1 is the only AS Further Maths module.
Reply 16
Original post by JN17
It isn't, an example for my school:
Maths (AS&A2) - C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2
Further Maths (AS&A2) - FP1, FP2, FP3, M1, M2, M3/D1 (we get to choose)
You can swap the grades in applied modules (M1/M2, S1/S2) in order to get more balanced grades if you feel necessary, so if you done well in Core, but failed S1, you could swap it for a good M1 grade if it means you get AA instead of AB say.

Thank you for the reply.
So there would be three exams for maths A level (C1, C2 and S1/M1).
How many exams are there for AS Further Maths (and A2)?
Reply 17
Original post by aj122
Thank you for the reply.
So there would be three exams for maths A level (C1, C2 and S1/M1).
How many exams are there for AS Further Maths (and A2)?

AS is 3 exams, A2 is 3 exams, overall you do 3 FP modules and 3 applied modules
Reply 18
Original post by JN17
AS is 3 exams, A2 is 3 exams, overall you do 3 FP modules and 3 applied modules

Thanks for the reply and I will do some research on further maths as I am unsure of doing it. I will have a look at some past papers. D1 seems the most interesting so far with all the algorithms.
A Level Maths and Further Maths seem more challenging than GCSE however they seem to be more interesting.
Original post by aj122
Thank you for the reply. So what modules are taken in Further Maths? I know for the maths A level it is C1, C2 and S1 (or M1). Moreover, how many hours of revision and extra work for maths and further maths have you been doing (a rough estimate is fine)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Currently im revising for C1 C2 S1 S2 D1 and FP1
(next year C3 C4 M1 FP2/FP3 M2 D2/FP3,,,, you dont have to do both FP2 and 3 on OCR in year 13)

Now ive finished all the modules its all just revision and im doing between 2 and 4 past papers a day (some take less than 45 minutes) and never go over the time limit of 90 minutes. When you find a problem you look at your notes or a revision guide and learn from your mistakes when marking. As further maths seems to strengthen your normal maths most of your focus ends up being on the harder modules (S2 for example) sat after the june holiday, my plan at the moment is to get keep up getting A's in my mocks and leaving my hardest module for solid revision and re-teaching it to myself (S2) mainly in the june holiday. I think the time taken up is just the same as a normal A-level, my school recommend and hours work outside of the classroom for every hour in (so sixteen a week overall), and two during revision time after the easter holiday, more during study leave. i hope this helps a little, its really not as daunting as it may seem, i find it comforting how you know exactly what is in each module and exam so can prepare quite easily for it!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply