The Student Room Group

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Scroll to see replies

The Hezzlington Kitchen is alive and poppin' tonight.

:colone:
Original post by hezzlington
Yeah :smile:

The wikipedia article is referenced. MSG has been rigorously tested and no such effects have been found. That's what the science says. Can't really go by anecdotal evidence.

I disagree. MSG has been used in cooking for over 100 years. It's not a simple case of just chucking it in (this doesn't apply to takeaways/KFC etc - I mean proper Asian cooking). I've never explored umami tastes so I can't really vouch for it. Umami rich ingredients can provide real depth to dishes, and I'd like to experiment with it at some point in the future once my palate is a bit more sensitive.

Sure, but you can't quite dispute a researcher/scientist who has knowledge in the subject though. :rolleyes:
You continue to ignore my mention of contaminants which are the cause of such symptoms. The MSG itself is not the problem and not all batches are contaminated the same way so it's difficult to test anything. To believe information on the web is reliable because it has been referenced is naive and bad scientific practice, the source is not always 100% true and will not include all the information required for you to reach a conclusion.
Original post by jenigma
Sure, but you can't quite dispute a researcher/scientist who has knowledge in the subject though. :rolleyes:

Why not? Scientists dispute eachother all the time. Not that I'm a scientist... yet, but other people do the disputing for me :wink:

Original post by jenigma

You continue to ignore my mention of contaminants which are the cause of such symptoms. The MSG itself is not the problem and not all batches are contaminated the same way so it's difficult to test anything. To believe information on the web is reliable because it has been referenced is naive and bad scientific practice, the source is not always 100% true and will not include all the information required for you to reach a conclusion.

Could you send me your lecture notes regarding this?

What contaminants specifically?

Okay, MSG is not the problem. So MSG is safe - which is what I've been getting at. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem in the countries where it's eaten daily for decades?

the web is where scientific papers get posted up usually? why does the medium through which science is communicated matter?

What evidence, other than anecdotal, have you been presented with for you to reach your conclusion?
(edited 8 years ago)
Could you send me your lecture notes regarding this?

What contaminants specifically?

Okay, MSG is not the problem. So MSG is safe - which is what I've been getting at.

the web is where scientific papers get posted up usually? why does the medium through which science is communicated matter?

What evidence have you been presented with for you to reach your conclusion? It's bad practice to believe immediately what your lecturer thinks.

It's not what I study, I'm not on a food science course or anything. It was mentioned in passing when learning about the nervous system and how it affects it, although I could possibly find a recap!

If I ever come past that lecturer again, I'll let you know more.

That's the whole basis of science??

Thinks, more like researched and evidence presented.
the hezzlington kitchen is alive and poppin' tonight.

:e

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

omg
Original post by jenigma
It's not what I study, I'm not on a food science course or anything. It was mentioned in passing when learning about the nervous system and how it affects it, although I could possibly find a recap!

If I ever come past that lecturer again, I'll let you know more.

That's the whole basis of science??

Thinks, more like researched and evidence presented.

What I meant by the bit highlighted in bold, is science is communicated in papers/journals/articles etc.

Whether that's online, or in a book, why does that matter?
What I meant by the bit highlighted in bold, is science is communicated in papers/journals/articles etc.

Whether that's online, or in a book, why does that matter?

Are you just enquiring about scientific validity now and how to trust what?
Original post by jenigma
Are you just enquiring about scientific validity now and how to trust what?

Not really enquiring as such.
Original post by iEthan
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

omg

Tonights posting won't be too impressive unfortunately.

But tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday will be :colone:
This argument is painful. You can by glutamate in the form glutamine in powder form from any protein company.

MSG is also safe

Hez - stop being patient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
This argument is painful. You can by glutamate in the form glutamine in powder form from any protein company.

MSG is also safe

Hez - stop being patient

Posted from TSR Mobile

She seems like a nice person, didn't wanna go in too hard. :tongue:

Update

Tonights dish: Pork Belly.

Really basic, no garnish, glaze or gravy (I'm sad to throw the gravy away, but my diet has been a train wreck this week so it's gotto be done).

I'm focusing purely on crackling today.

Tomorrows dish: Pork belly

Totally different method. Much more sophisticated dish with a lot more technique requires. Tons of ingredients required citrus, spices, herbs, so subflavours are going to be beautiful. More on that tomorrow.

Desert is also being prepared. Both the belly and the desert require about 12 - 18 hours of brining (major clue given away there on what I'm doing to the pork) and for the desert, I'm trying to achieve a certain texture in one of the textures.

Crackling is served as a side dish, more traditional technique used this time.

I've never even tried the desert I'm making for tomorrow at a restaurant, but I've heard great things so I'm really excited to get on with it.

Jamaican foods: Sunday/Monday

Oxtail on Sunday, Jerk chicken on Monday as monday the diet resumes and it's much more macro friendly.

Sausage rolls - Tuesday
Fruit Pastilles (not making alcohol wine gums anymore, the alcohol gets cooked out mostly so it wouldn't work with vodka - wrong flavour profile, supposed to use whiskey) - Tuesday
Pork tonight went to ****.

Crackling was a bit too oily (I used sunflower oil to give it a nice colour and delicate finish) and slightly chewy, meaning the heat wasn't right. Fire alarms set off as the fat that had dripped off started to burn. Pork was nice and succulent, but I feel a bit sick from the fat content. Really fatty. Acid reflux imminent.

Oh well. Tomorrow will be better.
Pork tonight went to ****.

Crackling was a bit too oily (I used sunflower oil to give it a nice colour and delicate finish) and slightly chewy, meaning the heat wasn't right. Fire alarms set off as the fat that had dripped off started to burn. Pork was nice and succulent, but I feel a bit sick from the fat content. Really fatty. Acid reflux imminent.

Oh well. Tomorrow will be better.

:console:
Original post by iEthan
:console:

I ate a whole tub of this new ben and jerries flavour to make me feel better.

I do not feel better.
I ate a whole tub of this new ben and jerries flavour to make me feel better.

I do not feel better.

Which flavour?! :yum:
Original post by iEthan
Which flavour?! :yum:

:excited:
cookie dough switch up, never heard of it before.
:excited:
cookie dough switch up, never heard of it before.

Neither have I? :holmes: What does this contain....
Original post by iEthan
Neither have I? :holmes: What does this contain....

It tastes like an ice cream sandwich. with cookie dough. in vanilla ice cream.
Add salt to crackling. That makes it crispy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Add salt to crackling. That makes it crispy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of salt was added, had a good flavour to it just I had the oven too low so wasn't as brittle as I would like.

Doing it differently tomorrow, going to introduce some scores to let the fat render out and heat penetrate deeper - no oil this time, too sickly.

Quick Reply

Latest