The Student Room Group

When girls compliment other females...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hezzlington
whats side eye

why wouldnt they be genuine. mean girls type thing?

Yes it can be that.
You girls are crazy :wink:

Original post by xobeauty
Yes it can be that.
Original post by Blondie987
You're so sweet Frenchie! :biggrin:

:colondollar: so are you :yep: :heart:
Original post by Virgili
Enough of you not to trust it

Well I trust compliment girls make about me, much more than boys compliments actually
Original post by Virgili
If I was a woman i'd not accept a compliment from another one, you girls are such backstabbers.

So you think they don't mean what they say?
Original post by Twinpeaks
Oooh, what theory is this? A social ritual of getting respect? I haven't come across this in the psychological literature, which journal was it from?

I'd be interested to know why complimenting excessively earns respect, it goes against intuition. I would say that complimenting increases liking to an extent, and then it either insinuates dishonesty or over ingratiation. But there where are, I'm assuming you've read such a counter-intuitive theory somewhere, otherwise I see no logical reason for it to pop out of your little head.

nah, literally it's just an observation - girls have all these cryptic rituals which often make no sense, e.g. going to the toilet together, pouting when taking photos, screaming unnecessarily when they're slightly alarmed (etc) - in terms of complimenting other girls, it's just a token sign that they respect other girls more than guys because girls in our culture/society are taught that guys are negative, e.g. creepy, pervy, violent (etc) until they meet them at least. girls seem to be very complimentary to other girls to their faces but when they're talking about them to friends who know who the other girl is, they're usually quite bitchy/gossipy from my experience - this kind of behaviour is why there is so much competition and drama between girls compared to between guys - because girls are so strangely hypocritical and emotional whereas guys seem to be a lot more logical and straightforward
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
So you think they don't mean what they say?

Some do, most don't, or they haven't really thought it through and it's just one of those things they say to everyone. Maybe i'm a little cynical but I notice what a girl says about her friends outside and inside her house are two different things...
Reply 26
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
:colondollar: so are you :yep: :heart:

Well I trust compliment girls make about me, much more than boys compliments actually

I don't blame you, if a guy compliments a woman he's usually trying to sleep with her, there's usually no reason for a man to compliment a man that's why I trust it more. You might say there's no reason for a woman to compliment a woman but I know how a lot of passive aggressive women operate...
(edited 8 years ago)
Depends on who the girl is. If she is fake and we aren't close then she's lying and trying to put me down. I hate it when some girls say it fakely or just because they have to.
I'm genuine when I give other girls compliments but when I receive them I get a side eye, however I say thank you. Do you trust other females compliments? Sometimes I feel like they aren't genuine. Does anyone know what I mean?

Are you prettier than them?

That could explain it.

:wink:
Well when it comes from girls I'm more paranoid, with guys it's whatever. Because I know girls who won't compliment other females if they are gorgeous.

...? yeah they do? don't they?
Original post by Virgili
I don't blame you, if a girl compliments a woman he's usually trying to sleep with her, there's usually no reason for a man to compliment a man that's why I trust it more. You might say there's no reason for a woman to compliment a woman but I know how a lot of passive aggressive women operate...

I know you're not :h:
You mean a man ? And not necessarly ! But I think men are just saying some stuff to get attention and don't really mean it - Not all of them of course -
But I think girls are more likely to be genuine actually
But yeah I get your point, I guess it depends on the compliment, and the context etc .. In college a lot of girls were , indeed, not genuine in compliments they could make to other girls .. Just to make fun of them and laugh in their back ..

But fortunately not all girls are like that :h:
I'm genuine when I give other girls compliments but when I receive them I get a side eye, however I say thank you. Do you trust other females compliments? Sometimes I feel like they aren't genuine. Does anyone know what I mean?

of course i don't :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Don't trust any compliments because ik they are lying to make me feel better and what i absolutely hate is when people compliment you back when you compliment them because it makes it look like ur fishing when ur not you just want to tell that girl how fabulous and pretty she is :smile:

Believe them ok :hugs: x

I will try :hugs: you should too missy!!x
Original post by apronedsamurai
You have lovely hair

Don’t do this to me :colondollar: :teehee:
Well when it comes from girls I'm more paranoid, with guys it's whatever. Because I know girls who won't compliment other females if they are gorgeous.

True! I think I probably do find it harder to accept it from girls as it was always girls who would bully me in high school, and fake compliments were one way in which they did that :colonhash:
Original post by Changing Skies
I will try :hugs: you should too missy!!x

Don’t do this to me :colondollar: :teehee:

True! I think I probably do find it harder to accept it from girls as it was always girls who would bully me in high school, and fake compliments was one way in which they did that :colonhash:

Dont do what? :frown:

Spoiler

Original post by stefano865
Are you prettier than them?

That could explain it.

:wink:

When girls go out of there way to tell me to my face is when I give side eye like hmmm. It confuses me so much because girls can be shady or just trying to be nice.

Us girls are too much. :u:

I mean it when I compliment a girl, even if a little "jealousy" but I won't go out of my way to compliment a girl who I don't think is pretty unless their fishing. My compliments are genuine.
Tbh, I don't trust any compliment I get regardless from gender but from my experiences, girls are more likely to fake a compliment and what they actually mean is a dig but plenty of girls out there are nice and genuine and truly mean a compliment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Tbh, I don't trust any compliment I get regardless from gender but from my experiences, girls are more likely to fake a compliment and what they actually mean is a dig but plenty of girls out there are nice and genuine and truly mean a compliment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even from your man?
Even from your man?

He is the exception for the most part though even then I sometimes wonder if he only pays me a compliment because he feels he has to because he is my partner rather than fully means it if that makes sense?
Original post by FarageCollage
nah, literally it's just an observation - girls have all these cryptic rituals which often make no sense, e.g. going to the toilet together, pouting when taking photos, screaming unnecessarily when they're slightly alarmed (etc) - in terms of complimenting other girls, it's just a token sign that they respect other girls more than guys because girls in our culture/society are taught that guys are negative, e.g. creepy, pervy, violent (etc) until they meet them at least. girls seem to be very complimentary to other girls to their faces but when they're talking about them to friends who know who the other girl is, they're usually quite bitchy/gossipy from my experience - this kind of behaviour is why there is so much competition and drama between girls compared to between guys - because girls are so strangely hypocritical and emotional whereas guys seem to be a lot more logical and straightforward

Such stereotyping. Such stereotyping.

It's giving me a migraine. This is why I really feel like we as a society would benefit so much from being taught some basic psychological principles in school. Men feel just as much emotion as women, but they are simply encouraged to not be emotional, even punished for it. By saying that, not only are you suggesting that being emotional is negative, and that somehow women are lesser for it, but you are also perpetuating the societal pressures male face to be unemotional. Not good for mental health.

Referring to the other sex as "the emotional woman" is a typical strategy adopted by certain types of individuals in our country, often hierarchists, to maintain power structures. Come over to the dark side hun, emotion is good. It promotes decision making, it is adaptive.

And also, interesting fact, much research shows that males benefit more from the social sharing of emotional experiences, and are even more likely to do it.

Yeah I do get it, I suppose it depends on how they say it. And if they are giving weird looks like that. I don't really get compliments from girls my age, it's usually ladies older than me. They seem sincere to me. The only time I've had a weird compliment is in secondary school where it was a direct scene from mean girls. Like she said 'you're pretty' and I replied 'thank you' and her response was 'so you think it too?' Goes without saying I was a bit freaked out.. 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending