The Student Room Group

Staring at my ceiling.

I’m trapped in a realm where the Earth spins anticlockwise if I wish it. My dreams are a reality and reality is a nightmare, accessed through the lense of the camera; images transferred to the screen. Yet truth is nothing more than the shadows cast on the cave wall by the fires behind me. God, I can hear them and the flames roar and flicker. I pull at my hair and they attempt to encircle me. Capture me. I can see them wincing from the corners of my eyes.

They can't. They can't break through.

What do you do when you live life in projection? What can you do when the bubble can't be popped and it morphs to your form? The bubble is you and you're dizzy.

You pull at my chains, but I can't break free. I scream. I stamp. You raise Hell. Then the flames advance. Slowly at first, but soon the tsunami of fire descends. As my skin is seared, I become aware of an invincibility. They can touch me; they can cause brief flashes of heat and twisted anguish, but they cannot truly hurt me. The injury caused by the past cannot - will not - stop me.

The struggle has not been a lie. Sometimes it deafens me so that there is nothing beyond the dull roar of the dancing flames. Yet you don't let it enable the burden. The energy required exhausts me, but slowly and steadily, it is diffused. Sometimes, yes, sometimes, the instrument is hit and the twang rings, but the sharp note simmers to a melody and before long it resonates as a clear tune. It substantiates the cause and I meekly smile. The smile was unconvincing, unbelievable. I'm sorry. You're frustrated for me and I stumble, misunderstanding; not ready to jump. The remains of the echoes ripple. First entering my feet, then legs, then chest and then pound at my head. One dull punch after another. Knock Out.

It is unsustainable to continue the fantasy: “try harder” you breathe.
"Wait. I’m not sure I want reality… what if I’m not ready? Why can’t the blunt magic last?”
I can feel you clawing at the bubble - desperately trying to rip away the shroud. It won't work.

I stop you. I pause. I hold your hand. You look into the reflection in my eyes of my reflection in your eyes.

The heat from the fire begins to melt the chains. Eyes Wide Open I can see them becoming thinner until there's nothing but liquid metal stains on my wrists. I smile again, more certain this time. You laugh. You lick my wrists and as you withdraw, smoke rises from your burning lips. The taste of metal replaces the sound of the flames.

The taste endures and I let it. I don't know when the wincing will subdue, but here, now, it doesn't matter. I found you. You found me. I found me. Again. The burden is half as heavy and we crawl together.

My submission for the Short Story Competion: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3991411
My word count says exactly 500 words :u:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IFoundWonderland
X

Very good read !! :excited: :jive:

My favourite part :ahee: :

Spoiler

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Very good read !! :excited: :jive:

My favourite part :ahee: :

Spoiler

Thank you :h:

Lol I like that line too. Do you know the reference? :colone:
Thank you :h:

Lol I like that line too. Do you know the reference? :colone:

I'm sorry to disappoint I don't ! But I'd be happy to know :colondollar:
@Axel Johann had the brilliant idea of tagging people.

Idk how to tag so will @ people who I think may be interested instead.

@Ethereal World @CoolCavy @Anon_98 @z33 @Hydeman

Awww honey i saw this just now <3 will reply properly but i rlly can't concentrate rn but i want to do it justice so will read it when i'm fully alert, ly :lovehug: x
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
I'm sorry to disappoint I don't ! But I'd be happy to know :colondollar:

There's a line in A Streetcar Named Desire where Blanche says "I don't want realism. I want magic." I kind of want to get that tattooed :colondollar:
Original post by CoolCavy
Awww honey i saw this just now <3 will reply properly but i rlly can't concentrate rn but i want to do it justice so will read it when i'm fully alert, ly :lovehug: x

Np, hope you aren't stressing too much Ilym :lovehug:

What you did there is mentioning,

This is tagging, basically click that little tag next to the smiley button on the light blue top bar
Tfw you've been on TSR for two and a half years and didn't know this.

I always wondered what that was for :rofl:
Reply 10
Tfw you realise your GCSE level entry doesn't stand a chance :lol:

DAYM GURL this is amazing :eek: :cry2: its so ... beautiful *wipes tear*

You look into the reflection in my eyes of my reflection in your eyes.

*has a brain aneurysm*
There's a line in A Streetcar Named Desire where Blanche says "I don't want realism. I want magic." I kind of want to get that tattooed :colondollar:

I looove this reference then :ahee: thanks for letting me know :five:

Spoiler

Tfw you've been on TSR for two and a half years and didn't know this.

I always wondered what that was for :rofl:

Omg wonderland this is awesome! You're so talented :colondollar:

Love you xxx
I feel really sad after reading this.
Original post by z33
Tfw you realise your GCSE level entry doesn't stand a chance :lol:

DAYM GURL this is amazing :eek: :cry2: its so ... beautiful *wipes tear*

*has a brain aneurysm*

Haha, thanks, but shh. Yours was amazing :ahee:

Lol it's that the person is being reunited with themselves and so what they're seeing is themself if thay makes sense?
Original post by Ethereal World
Omg wonderland this is awesome! You're so talented :colondollar:

Love you xxx

Haha thanks so much :h: love you too :hugs:

Original post by hezzlington
I feel really sad after reading this.

That is not the intention :frown:
Haha thanks so much :h: love you too :hugs:

That is not the intention :frown:

apart from the ending though that made smile

:excited:
"you look into the reflection of my eyes of my reflection of your eyes" wow that is such a powerful quote.
Reply 18
Haha, thanks, but shh. Yours was amazing :ahee:

Lol it's that the person is being reunited with themselves and so what they're seeing is themself if thay makes sense?

np :biggrin:
awhhhhhhhh yeah it's so sad :cry2: i love it! :biggrin:
What are these posts, they look really cool!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending