The Student Room Group

Staring at my ceiling.

Scroll to see replies

When's the english version coming out? :wink:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
This was a great read :five: Favorite line is probably "The bubble is you and you're dizzy."

Thanks :h: that's where I had initially finished it; until now I wasn't sure how to add to it :colondollar:
Original post by TheFarmerLad
When's the english version coming out? :wink:

Hahah shh. Not my fault u r an uneducated heathen smh :mmm:

Original post by hezzlington
well I love reading and I love surrealism.

I'll watch the film again to start I can't really remember it. But I don't think it's the same as the book

The original Disney cartoon is similar to the book, but the newer one with Johnny Depp and Mia thingy is more like Through The Looking Glass. It's a fun read regardless.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Thanks :h: that's where I had initially finished it; until now I wasn't sure how to add to it :colondollar:

Well, I am glad you continued :yep: The imagery was FABULOUS!
Hahah shh. Not my fault u r an uneducated heathen smh :mmm:

I have to admit it does make me feel rather melancholy in the realisation that I do not possess quite the eloquent expertise that you clearly do.

Spoiler

Original post by TheFarmerLad
I have to admit it does make me feel rather melancholy in the realisation that I do not possess quite the eloquent expertise that you clearly do.

Spoiler

You used loads of fancy words there :wink:

thesaurus.com yh? :undefined:mmm

Thank you :h:
Awwww @IFoundWonderland got round to reading it :yes: it was really amazing tbh :redface: very i dont want to say moving but moving :lol: and the descriptions you used for things were amazing :cute: xxxxx
much respect lovely <3
You used loads of fancy words there :wink:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe.. *Lots :u:
Holy **** @IFoundWonderland

I was originally gonna read this later but then z33 was like "rip all of us" when describing your story, so I thought I might as well read it now.

It's amazing :woo: and it's gonna be very tough to beat lol, I think I might have to settle for the £10 now :eek:.
"My dreams are a reality and reality is a nightmare"

"It is unsustainable to continue the fantasy: “try harder” you breathe.
"Wait. I’m not sure I want reality… what if I’m not ready? Why can’t the blunt magic last?”"

This is so beautiful, I actually think I'm going to cry. :frown: It is so true! The way I understand it is that your reality becomes such a nightmare that you dream a perfect reality, you dream it so often because it allows for you to remain in a constant state of escapism. It is so opposite to your true reality, which is painful and harsh.You find comfort in a perfect, magical, happy reality that the return to your actual reality becomes harsh and overbearing, and extremely uncomfortable.

But your dreams always a "blunt magic" because you can't feel that reality, you don't live in it, all you can do is envision it. But you have such little comfort in your own reality that you keep going back, hence the "try harder".

But eventually, you realise that you have the strength to bare the discomfort and harshness and do escape what is merely just a dream, and then the magic is no longer "blunt" when true joy comes into your life and you will no longer feel the need to escape.

(I just added in the last bit, because that is how I would wish for my interpretation of your beautiful piece to end). :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
x

Also, I want to be able to write like you! It is so elegant and structured so beautifully. :colondollar:
I’m trapped in a realm where the Earth spins anticlockwise if I wish it. My dreams are a reality and reality is a nightmare, accessed through the lense of the camera; images transferred to the screen. Yet truth is nothing more than the shadows cast on the cave wall by the fires behind me. God, I can hear them and the flames roar and flicker. I pull at my hair and they attempt to encircle me. Capture me. I can see them wincing from the corners of my eyes.

They can't. They can't break through.

What do you do when you live life in projection? What can you do when the bubble can't be popped and it morphs to your form? The bubble is you and you're dizzy.

You pull at my chains, but I can't break free. I scream. I stamp. You raise Hell. Then the flames advance. Slowly at first, but soon the tsunami of fire descends. As my skin is seared, I become aware of an invincibility. They can touch me; they can cause brief flashes of heat and twisted anguish, but they cannot truly hurt me. The injury caused by the past cannot - will not - stop me.

The struggle has not been a lie. Sometimes it deafens me so that there is nothing beyond the dull roar of the dancing flames. Yet you don't let it enable the burden. The energy required exhausts me, but slowly and steadily, it is diffused. Sometimes, yes, sometimes, the instrument is hit and the twang rings, but the sharp note simmers to a melody and before long it resonates as a clear tune. It substantiates the cause and I meekly smile. The smile was unconvincing, unbelievable. I'm sorry. You're frustrated for me and I stumble, misunderstanding; not ready to jump. The remains of the echoes ripple. First entering my feet, then legs, then chest and then pound at my head. One dull punch after another. Knock Out.

It is unsustainable to continue the fantasy: “try harder” you breathe.
"Wait. I’m not sure I want reality… what if I’m not ready? Why can’t the blunt magic last?”
I can feel you clawing at the bubble - desperately trying to rip away the shroud. It won't work.

I stop you. I pause. I hold your hand. You look into the reflection in my eyes of my reflection in your eyes.

The heat from the fire begins to melt the chains. Eyes Wide Open I can see them becoming thinner until there's nothing but liquid metal stains on my wrists. I smile again, more certain this time. You laugh. You lick my wrists and as you withdraw, smoke rises from your burning lips. The taste of metal replaces the sound of the flames.

The taste endures and I let it. I don't know when the wincing will subdue, but here, now, it doesn't matter. I found you. You found me. I found me. Again. The burden is half as heavy and we crawl together.

My submission for the Short Story Competion: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3991411
My word count says exactly 500 words :u:

Spoiler

Sounds like your first time to me.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Sounds like your first time to me.

Are you speaking from experience? :teehee:
Original post by Hydeman
Are you speaking from experience? :teehee:

still waiting...
Original post by Axel Johann
Holy **** @IFoundWonderland

I was originally gonna read this later but then z33 was like "rip all of us" when describing your story, so I thought I might as well read it now.

It's amazing :woo: and it's gonna be very tough to beat lol, I think I might have to settle for the £10 now :eek:.

Thank you :woo: tbh, it's a little autobiographical so was quite natural to write.

The English Festival isn't about beating each other, it's about being creative and imaginative. I'm really glad you liked it and please link me when you do your real one!

Original post by CoolCavy
Awwww @IFoundWonderland got round to reading it :yes: it was really amazing tbh :redface: very i dont want to say moving but moving :lol: and the descriptions you used for things were amazing :cute: xxxxx
much respect lovely <3

Thank you Cavy <3 yeah I used the extended metaphor of Plato's World of Forms throughout :3

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
"My dreams are a reality and reality is a nightmare"

"It is unsustainable to continue the fantasy: “try harder” you breathe.
"Wait. I’m not sure I want reality… what if I’m not ready? Why can’t the blunt magic last?”"

This is so beautiful, I actually think I'm going to cry. :frown: It is so true! The way I understand it is that your reality becomes such a nightmare that you dream a perfect reality, you dream it so often because it allows for you to remain in a constant state of escapism. It is so opposite to your true reality, which is painful and harsh.You find comfort in a perfect, magical, happy reality that the return to your actual reality becomes harsh and overbearing, and extremely uncomfortable.

But your dreams always a "blunt magic" because you can't feel that reality, you don't live in it, all you can do is envision it. But you have such little comfort in your own reality that you keep going back, hence the "try harder".

But eventually, you realise that you have the strength to bare the discomfort and harshness and do escape what is merely just a dream, and then the magic is no longer "blunt" when true joy comes into your life and you will no longer feel the need to escape.

(I just added in the last bit, because that is how I would wish for my interpretation of your beautiful piece to end). :smile:

That's kind of exactly what I was going for :woo: also, it's about rediscovering yourself. When you struggle with mental health issues, you lose yourself - you're not you if that makes sense? The end is kind of a reunion with who you really are.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Also, I want to be able to write like you! It is so elegant and structured so beautifully. :colondollar:

Thank you :colondollar: I write a lot - it soothes me and I'm a perfectionist so spend hours on just a couple of sentences to ensure that they relay the exact meaning I would want them to whilst allowing the potential reader to derive their own understanding. Not that I show my work to anyone really. But practice really does make perfect - why not make your own submission? :undefined:ahee
I’m trapped in a realm where the Earth spins anticlockwise if I wish it.

An excellent story!
Be careful with posting competition entries, though. :h::h:
Original post by Banana00
An excellent story!
Be careful with posting competition entries, though. :h::h:

Thank you!!
It's a competition on TSR :tongue:
Thank you!!
It's a competition on TSR :tongue:

Good luck and let us know how you do! :o::p::tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
I love this! Blanche has always been a favourite of mine, and I love her to bits, just like your story! :biggrin:
Original post by iliacl
I love this! Blanche has always been a favourite of mine, and I love her to bits, just like your story! :biggrin:

Thanks so much!!
She is my absolute favourite tragic heroine <3

Quick Reply

Latest