The Student Room Group

Tips for an American girl attending a British university?

Hello guys, I'll be going to university in Autumn, though I haven't accepted any offers yet. What advice would you give an American on social life, academics, general tips, etc.?

Not to stereotype my fellow Americans, but I suppose I'm not the average citizen, as many only know English, haven't travelled, are quite loud, etc. Whereas I've learnt two languages, have travelled often, and tend to be quieter, in terms of the volume of my voice. However, there are still lots of things I don't know about daily life in the UK and I would love to know!

EDIT: I just realized I left the "know" in my question after I rephrased the question. My bad!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madyabby
Hello guys, I'll be going to university in Autumn, though I haven't accepted any offers yet. What advice would you give an American on social life, academics, general tips, etc.?

Not to stereotype my fellow Americans, but I suppose I'm not the average citizen, as many only know English, haven't travelled, are quite loud, etc. Whereas I've learnt two languages, have travelled often, and tend to be quieter, in terms of the volume of my voice. However, there are still lots of things I don't know about daily life in the UK and I would love to know!

EDIT: I just realized I left the "know" in my question after I rephrased the question. My bad!

Hey, I moved this to the 'University Life' section just in case you might want to check out similar threads which offer advice. :smile:
There are no such thing as sororities?
Reply 3
Original post by Mochassassin
Hey, I moved this to the 'University Life' section just in case you might want to check out similar threads which offer advice. :smile:

Thank you! I was trying to search for them but wasn't finding anything.
Reply 4
Original post by JubilationXXV
There are no such thing as sororities?

Pardon? Not sure if your question is relevant, but yes, there are sororities here in America. Sorority life in the south tends to be different from sorority life in the east and west.
Thank you! I was trying to search for them but wasn't finding anything.

Oh, I see! I can't think of anything useful to say at the top of my head right now but if you do have any burning questions about anything specific, feel free to ask or PM or whatever. :smile:
Reply 6

You can buy alcohol before 21.
Reply 7
Original post by Josb
You can buy alcohol before 21.

Haha, well I know that of course. I spent a few months in Germany where even the 13 year olds were drinking.
Pardon? Not sure if your question is relevant, but yes, there are sororities here in America. Sorority life in the south tends to be different from sorority life in the east and west.

It wasn't a question...just stating the fact that there are no such things as a sorority in the UK..I know it isn't really a tip but I just wanted to say :smile:
Reply 9
Also, there is no Greek life or other weird thing like that.
Reply 10
Original post by JubilationXXV
It wasn't a question...just stating the fact that there are no such things as a sorority in the UK..I know it isn't really a tip but I just wanted to say :smile:

Oh, okay! I misread, my bad. I have no issues with not having sororities. I'm not too much a fan of them. Especially the ones here in the south, where it's very elitist, which I dislike, having spent my education at a very elitist school.
it completely depends on where youd study, both location and the uni, do you have any idea?
Reply 12
Original post by JNDSAN
it completely depends on where youd study, both location and the uni, do you have any idea?

I am still waiting to hear back from St. Andrews and Durham, but I've got offers from UCL, Bristol, and Edinburgh. I won't pick Bristol and probably not St. Andrews. It's between the other three. I eventually want to do a masters at Oxford.
You only study units related to one subject so no maths or language requirements.

You will be asked where in the USA you from (we need a state)

Where abouts in the USA are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its crisps not chips :P
Reply 15
Original post by jonathanemptage
You only study units related to one subject so no maths or language requirements.

You will be asked where in the USA you from (we need a state)

Where abouts in the USA are you from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Texas, so I suspect I'll get a lot of questions about whether we ride horses everywhere and wear cowboy hats. I'm not a typical Texan though, as my city is very liberal.
Reply 16
You will hear cheers a lot
I don't think you need any special social tips based on the fact you're America. You're still just like everyone else and interanational students are very common anyway so you're not going to be a big shock to people.
Texas, so I suspect I'll get a lot of questions about whether we ride horses everywhere and wear cowboy hats. I'm not a typical Texan though, as my city is very liberal.

You'll find the UK really really cold in winter then if we actually have a proper winter (I want snow) then make sure you have a warm jacket.
If anyone insults you in a jokey way just don't take it seriously we do it all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending