The Student Room Group

'Alien' - Alexion's Short Story Comp. Entry

Alien
~~~~~

Thud. Thud. Thud.

In the far distance, I hear the faint patter of feet. The Arctic breeze blows neither towards it nor away, so I know that it cannot smell me nor I it.

I signal to my brethren that I have found prey. As a pack we glide silently through the thick snow, circling around the source of the sound I heard before, towards the south such that we are downwind of the beast.

Its scent is strong now. But there is something else. A strange, alien scent. We stop to listen.

Thud. Thud.

BANG.

The noise shook the snow off the trees around us. Birds took flight, and we turned tail and ran. Whatever that noise was, it was the very definition of danger, and we weren't going to wait around to discover what it could do to living creatures like us.

We’d covered about a mile when we stopped running. The echoes of the noise had faded and with it, the forest died down again, back into silence. Quieter than before, if anything.

I signalled to the pack to stay where they were, that I was going to investigate the source of the noise. After all, it was near the prey we smelled before, and with food being so scarce this winter, we couldn’t pass up this opportunity.

Approaching the area where the prey, and the noise, came from, both the scents returned. One had changed slightly the prey animal was dead now. But the alien scent had grown stronger.

Sneaking up towards the source of the scents, they were finally brought into sight.

The prey animal was a moose. A huge creature. Nothing in this forest could take something like that down alone… and on top of the dead moose, what appeared to be a large fur-coated sphere.

No.

It straightened up and I could see its figure. Strange and thin, standing only on its hind legs, like a bear rearing up to attack. Its top half was grey fur, yet its legs were a strange black, not skin but some kind of coating.

It turned my way. Saw me. Leaped backward and squeaked.

This was no predator. To me, this was clearly a weaker prey than the moose, so I was going to kill this alien creature. Store more food to help us survive the long winter. I started approaching it slowly, baring my teeth.

In the creature’s front legs, it seemed to be holding some kind of stick. Pointing it towards me and yelping as if that should intimidate me. I growled. I wasn’t going to be pushed back by a mere stick. I was the king of the forest. Leader of the pack. And certainly not fearful of creatures like this.

The stick was now right in front of me.

Was that a hole in the end?

BANG.

~~~~~

Haven't done anything creative-writing like for about 2 or 3 years :lol: probably awful because my creative skills are terrible and English was hardly my strong point, but meh, thought it'd be fun to try and write something anyway :cute:
Reply 1
Oh, and yes, I'm posting this at 3am to avoid too many comments :rofl:
Original post by Alexion
X

PRSOM. This is actually quite excellent for somebody who hasn't done this for a few years. :tongue:
How is this a short story. I was too lazy to read it so add a tl;dr please.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
PRSOM. This is actually quite excellent for somebody who hasn't done this for a few years. :tongue:

Couldn't really end it the way I wanted to :dontknow:

You can probably see how it's supposed to end but it doesn't really have any impact
Reply 5
Original post by Squishy•
How is this a short story. I was too lazy to read it so add a tl;dr please.

Brief was under 500 words, this is 475

If ya don't wanna read it, don't read it
Original post by Alexion
Brief was under 500 words, this is 475

If ya don't wanna read it, don't read it

Well brief aint brief then

This was the brief i was expecting: My daughter won’t stop crying and screaming in the middle of the night. I visit her grave and ask her to stop, but it doesn’t help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Well brief aint brief then

This was the brief i was expecting: My daughter won’t stop crying and screaming in the middle of the night. I visit her grave and ask her to stop, but it doesn’t help.

Well ****, that's dark

Also

this kinda brief is what I was referring to
Original post by Alexion
Well ****, that's dark

Also

this kinda brief is what I was referring to

lol okay. I have a bellybutton
Reply 9
lol okay. I have a bellybutton

ok now I'm confused

I'm gonna sleep
Original post by Alexion
Couldn't really end it the way I wanted to :dontknow:

You can probably see how it's supposed to end but it doesn't really have any impact

I like it, especially since i saw it was kind of long, so skipped to the comments. I then read just the last paragraph and lines and understood what it was getting at completely, and had impact (a little aha moment), even if I hadn't read the rest.

Ofc I then went back to read it properly.
Reply 11
:awesome:

(who paid you to say that?)
Reply 12
well ****, that means she's not asleep
I'm in trouble
:ninja:

Spoiler

Reply 13
Original post by Alexion
Oh, and yes, I'm posting this at 3am to avoid too many comments :rofl:

Good call... My story was trendin rip i was so embarrassed :lol:

Also DAMN dat story tho :eek: i got so into it i was like ITS A GUN DAMMIT RUN AWAY YOU DUMB ****
:lol:

Awesome :awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending