The Student Room Group

cant afford to go to college

hello im 18, will be 19 by the time that college starts, i want to go to college to resit my gcses but my mum is saying if i leave my job so i can study full time we wont have enough money to feed the house and its really upsetting because
1. i want to better myself
2. i hate my job
3.i want to go to uni
and 4. when i mentioned to my mu that i wanted to go to uni she basically said i am too stupid and that i shouldnt bother and just stay in the job ive got.

also if i did end up going back to do my gcses and i had a lot of spare time i would ask for my job back at my current employers because they always have jobs going and they already have me trained and what not so i could work part time no problem.

i really want to go to college and try but im re thinking now my mum has said i dont have it in me :frown: and if were not going to have enough money then i wont be able to go to college anyway :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do what is right for you - bear in mind you'll also need A Levels to go to uni or something equivalent (e..g. access course/BTECs).

My mum was furious with my decision to return to college, but I did it anyway. And I've done resoundingly better this time around than before.

It's your life, you can't live it by what other people say.
Reply 2
Original post by Inexorably
Do what is right for you - bear in mind you'll also need A Levels to go to uni or something equivalent (e..g. access course/BTECs).

My mum was furious with my decision to return to college, but I did it anyway. And I've done resoundingly better this time around than before.

It's your life, you can't live it by what other people say.

hello that was the plan, I was going to do a one year GCSE course to get my English maths and science up then do my a levels as normal, the hopefully progress to uni, the reasons I didn't do fantastic the first time round was because of family issues and I feel like nothing is ever going to change and I'm gonna be stuck in a job I hate forever :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by SophiaW
hello that was the plan, I was going to do a one year GCSE course to get my English maths and science up then do my a levels as normal, the hopefully progress to uni, the reasons I didn't do fantastic the first time round was because of family issues and I feel like nothing is ever going to change and I'm gonna be stuck in a job I hate forever :frown:

Now is your time to do something about it and change.

If you really want to do it, don't let anyone hold you back.
Reply 4
Original post by SophiaW
hello im 18, will be 19 by the time that college starts, i want to go to college to resit my gcses but my mum is saying if i leave my job so i can study full time we wont have enough money to feed the house and its really upsetting because
2. i hate my job
3.i want to go to uni
and 4. when i mentioned to my mu that i wanted to go to uni she basically said i am too stupid and that i shouldnt bother and just stay in the job ive got.

also if i did end up going back to do my gcses and i had a lot of spare time i would ask for my job back at my current employers because they always have jobs going and they already have me trained and what not so i could work part time no problem.

i really want to go to college and try but im re thinking now my mum has said i dont have it in me :frown: and if were not going to have enough money then i wont be able to go to college anyway :frown:

Be selfish;

- get a part time job
- Leave and find yourself a place

You'll be able to study and work at the same time. And... You'll go to uni.

Unless you want to stay in your job for most of your life.

You can always apply in the future, but who likes to wait, you'll be probably around 25+ years old by that time? I'm guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophiaW
2. i hate my job
3.i want to go to uni

You could try getting bursaries or some help from the government. If it is not feasible to go college formally then you could do your gcses part time, a lot of them can be self taught. Speak to your employers first though. Your mum doesn't mean those things, she is just afraid of you not working anymore. Hope it works out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Impressive
Be selfish;

- get a part time job
- Leave and find yourself a place

You'll be able to study and work at the same time. And... You'll go to uni.

Unless you want to stay in your job for most of your life.

You can always apply in the future, but who likes to wait, you'll be probably around 25+ years old by that time? I'm guessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats what i want to do but i feel like if i work and have to study im not going to be able to work to my potential, my mum just said if i wanted to go to uni i should have tried harder before, but the thing is i didnt know what i wanted to do at 14 and i didnt really care because if im being honest i didnt think i would live to the age of 18 because i thought i would have killed myself by then so i didnt really try, but now i want to, i want to better myself, i want a decent life and a good job and to have a house and a family i can support, but im just surrounded by negativity and i hate it, i want to go to college and give it everything i have and have plenty of time to study and get the grades i want :frown: but shes saying if i do go to college i wont be able to feed the house hold :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by s_ahmed2
You could try getting bursaries or some help from the government. If it is not feasible to go college formally then you could do your gcses part time, a lot of them can be self taught. Speak to your employers first though. Your mum doesn't mean those things, she is just afraid of you not working anymore. Hope it works out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont know where to even look for bursaries i live in wales and the only bursaries i can see is the welsh government learning grant wich is only £1,500 a year which isnt nearly enough
Can't you check if your local college offers GSCE evening classes? I did all mine while working full time, same with the Access course. Good luck :smile:
What is the job you are doing?
Have you tried asking your current employers whether you could get flexible hours or cut hours to work around your college time? At my local college they offer GCSEs in maths, science, and English where you only have to go in two days a week so you could still do some considerable hours at a job.

I would also consider the Open Uni if I was in your position. You don't need qualifications to study with them and you could either do a couple of modules and then transfer to a physical uni (most universities accept Open Uni modules for entry to courses) or you could do a whole degree with them without ever having to study for GCSEs or A levels. And if you feel you need a steady build up to university level study they do small modules to get you used to the study and then year 1 modules are about the level of A level studies (from what I've seen). You can get student loans to cover your study and you can carry on working because study is part-time and you can fit it in around your current lifestyle.
Reply 11
Original post by humanteaparty
What is the job you are doing?

i do domiciliary care
Original post by SophiaW
thats what i want to do but i feel like if i work and have to study im not going to be able to work to my potential, my mum just said if i wanted to go to uni i should have tried harder before, but the thing is i didnt know what i wanted to do at 14 and i didnt really care because if im being honest i didnt think i would live to the age of 18 because i thought i would have killed myself by then so i didnt really try, but now i want to, i want to better myself, i want a decent life and a good job and to have a house and a family i can support, but im just surrounded by negativity and i hate it, i want to go to college and give it everything i have and have plenty of time to study and get the grades i want :frown: but shes saying if i do go to college i wont be able to feed the house hold :frown:

I knew someone who was in similar situation. This person had to leave high school and apply to a job during his yearly age, just so his family got some sort of an income. He was working almost entire week and had no chance of doing any form of education. What can I say... It ended really badly.

You don't need to find perfect job right now because it will only be your source of income, nothing else. You'll get the money to pay for your rent, food and other stuff. (not a lot considering it's part time but it will allow you to focus on studies).

Don't listen to your mother, there is no expiration date or whatsoever. If you want to start working hard now. You can do it and no one is allowed to stop you.

Make a cv and cover letter that suits specific company/business and apply for different positions which will be okay with your college (e.g. Mon-thursday college and friday-sunday work) . You'll probably get rejections at first, since you're a bit inexperienced but you'll eventually find a job that will invite you to an interview.

Original post by SophiaW
i dont know where to even look for bursaries i live in wales and the only bursaries i can see is the welsh government learning grant wich is only £1,500 a year which isnt nearly enough

Which part of Wales?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Alba2013
Can't you check if your local college offers GSCE evening classes? I did all mine while working full time, same with the Access course. Good luck :smile:

i will have a look, will they take longer to do than a full time course as i want to do them as soon as possible really and id have to go into full time education next year when im doing my a levels anyway
Hey, have looked at some of the bursary schemes at the college?
Reply 15
Original post by Impressive
I knew someone who was in similar situation. This person had to leave high school and apply to a job during his yearly age, just so his family got some sort of an income. He was working almost entire week and had no chance of doing any form of education. What can I say... It ended really badly.

You don't need to find perfect job right now because it will only be your source of income, nothing else. You'll get the money to pay for your rent, food and other stuff. (not a lot considering it's part time but it will allow you to focus on studies).

Don't listen to your mother, there is no expiration date or whatsoever. If you want to start working hard now. You can do it and no one is allowed to stop you.

Make a cv and cover letter that suits specific company/business and apply for different positions which will be okay with your college. You'll probably get rejections at first, since you're a bit inexperienced but you'll eventually find a job that will invite you to an interview.

Which part of Wales?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hello thankyou i think the job im doing will be able to cut down my hours when i start college, im in south wales in barry, im looking to go to cardiff and vale college
Reply 16
Original post by Serine Soul
Hey, have looked at some of the bursary schemes at the college?

hello the only bursary scheme i can seem to fine is (welsh government learning grant) WGLG which is only £1,500 per year
Original post by SophiaW

Go and explore what sorts of finance is available fom the college.

You could do a p/t job. If you did a full time job, then you would have to p/t study.

Its no right of your mum to throw negativity on you. If you wnat it enough you will find a way. Not sure why you have responsibility for feeding everyone else.
Original post by SophiaW
hello thankyou i think the job im doing will be able to cut down my hours when i start college, im in south wales in barry, im looking to go to cardiff and vale college

Cool. Your job is flexible.

Now, you just need to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophiaW
hello the only bursary scheme i can seem to fine is (welsh government learning grant) WGLG which is only £1,500 per year

Ah, have you asked your mum if that will be enough?

Quick Reply

Latest