The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Alright I've been away for a bit and have quite a few replies so apologies if this post is long.

Original post by cherryred90s

Spoiler

No it doesn't of course. However, if you feel your brain is slower than others you might want to take a simpler exam such as a foundation paper but you don't have to of course.

Original post by Mazzy95

Spoiler

I don't have all these disabilities no, whatever you meant by that. I don't know what you mean by 'truly understand' either. I understand what these disabilities mean regarding the ability to take exams but I don't need to know absolutely everything there is to know on the subject. Neither do you.

Actually I haven't judged anyone or commented on specific people. I just think extra time in exams is unfair in certain situations.

There are people with autism on this thread who believe autism is not enough of a reason to have extra time. Therefore if they know so much according to you, are you gonna accept what they say? That's the problem with using appeal to authority arguments like the one you just used.

You come across as quite ignorant actually. I agree with you that some people deserve help taking exams. Why exactly are you so irritated?

Spoiler

You are literally being tested on your ability to interpret things! That's what exams do! Very black and white.

Original post by Tiger Rag

Spoiler

I don't see how this contradicts what I said. You're saying you are able understand the question but in a different way. I said that if you can't process what you have to do after you understand it then you shouldn't be given extra time.

If by the word 'understand', you just mean you find it difficult to join words together in a sentence when you read them (i.e. a slow reader) then yes this is similar to dyslexia and you should be given extra time.

I never mentioned intelligence. As I said to another poster, exams do not test IQ.
Original post by xylas

There are people with autism on this thread who believe autism is not enough of a reason to have extra time. Therefore if they know so much according to you, are you gonna accept what they say? That's the problem with using appeal to authority arguments like the one you just used.

It's a spectrum. Some people with Autism cope perfectly well without extra time. Others do need extra time in order to complete the exam to the best of their ability.

I don't see how this contradicts what I said. You're saying you are able understand the question but in a different way. I said that if you can't process what you have to do after you understand it then you shouldn't be given extra time.

If by the word 'understand', you just mean you find it difficult to join words together in a sentence when you read them (i.e. a slow reader) then yes this is similar to dyslexia and you should be given extra time.

It's completely different to Dyslexia. It has nothing to do with joining words together. The problem for me is how I understand language. You can't for example, use metaphors with me because they make no sense at all. I've usually got to read some things several times before they actually make any sense at all.
Original post by Compost
It's the handwriting speed one that is really open to abuse. I don't know enough about the others to know.

It's the cliff edge nature of the nothing/25% that seems odd. (There are also arrangements that allow 50% extra time and more, but the vast majority are on 25%). I appreciate it's probably there to make it easy to administer but it's not very logical.

Assessments for access arrangements test a range of stuff, all of which are taken to be equally important. The results are standardised at 100 and if you score less than 85 on a test that is the trigger for getting extra time. I have seen some assessments that tested so many things I suspect anyone taking them all would land up scoring under 85 in something. At the moment you score 84 in one thing and everything else is well over 100 and you get 25% extra time. Score everything under 100 but nothing below 85 and you probably get nothing. I'm not saying a fairer system would be easy to devise, just that the current one isn't very logical or fair.

Very interestings thanks for the info

Original post by Airmed
I got rest breaks during my A2s due to that I was very ill; I still have the option to take rest breaks now at university. But after having done my GCSEs and AS Levels with no rest breaks/extra time, my grades did not improve at A2 when I had rest breaks.

What are rest breaks, I was offered them but chose more time instead :wink:
I think extra time/any access arrangements are totally justified!
Personally I'm totally deaf in my right, have mild hearing loss in my left and have tinnitus. Yet 2 of my 3 a level choices as Spanish and french, for both of which listening in the exam is worth 25% of my overall grade!

We do our listening through head phones and can play it as many times as we like. For this reason I get 25% extra time and if i wanted a separate small quiet room. I was offered a live speaker so I could lip read but declined.

I get this time because when my tinnitus is bad I literally cannot hear/focus on anything and also it takes me time to adjust to new voices, even more so in foreign languages! Why should I be penalised for a condition I have no control over that could destroy 2 of my 3 grades.

Without the extra time to do my listening there is no way I would be on track for A*s in both languages. If you think I don't deserve that time, please explain how.
Reply 164
It's a spectrum. Some people with Autism cope perfectly well without extra time. Others do need extra time in order to complete the exam to the best of their ability.

It's completely different to Dyslexia. It has nothing to do with joining words together. The problem for me is how I understand language. You can't for example, use metaphors with me because they make no sense at all. I've usually got to read some things several times before they actually make any sense at all.

That's what I've been saying!

It's not completely different but I was only using dyslexia as an example. I understand language is involved in autism but this does not by that fact alone warrant extra time. That's it. My only point on the matter.

Btw we all understand things in different ways. The only way round that is to practise, practise, practise exams until we get good at them.
No it doesn't of course. However, if you feel your brain is slower than others you might want to take a simpler exam such as a foundation paper but you don't have to of course.
I don't know what you mean by having a slow brain, but how would a foundation paper change that? By slower, I presume you mean longer to understand and interpret things, which definitely sounds like some sort of condition/learning disability, particularly if it's been an issue for a long time. In that case, you'd be rewarded extra time, not necessarily an easier paper. It would be slightly unfair to make them do a lower tier paper, because they may well be capable of an A grade, but you're capping them at a C because they have a condition.

You come across as quite ignorant actually. I agree with you that some people deserve help taking exams. Why exactly are you so irritated?

lol

You are literally being tested on your ability to interpret things! That's what exams do! Very black and white.
the difficulties that people suffer with are not black and white. They may suffer from the same disability, but it can affect each person differently.

You can't seem to understand that a disability/condition/illness can affect each person differently! For instance, person A with dyslexia may have no problem interpreting a question but may require someone to read for them.
Person B with dyslexia may have no trouble reading a question but may need someone to interpret for them.
Both are entitled to extra time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Does it really matter though? Ilf they need extra time and can prove it, I'm not really that fussed, at the end of the day it's a minority, just focus on yourself and make sure you achieve the highest possible mark you can get, so you won't be in the predicament of worrying about others.
Reply 167
I don't know what you mean by having a slow brain, but how would a foundation paper change that? By slower, I presume you mean longer to understand and interpret things, which definitely sounds like some sort of condition/learning disability, particularly if it's been an issue for a long time. In that case, you'd be rewarded extra time, not necessarily an easier paper. It would be slightly unfair to make them do a lower tier paper, because they may well be capable of an A grade, but you're capping them at a C because they have a condition.

The difficulties that people suffer with are not black and white. They may suffer from the same disability, but it can affect each person differently. You can't seem to understand that a disability/condition/illness can affect each person differently! For instance, person A with dyslexia may have no problem interpreting a question but may require someone to read for them.
Person B with dyslexia may have no trouble reading a question but may need someone to interpret for them.
Both are entitled to extra time.

Yes that it what I mean. It may sound like a learning disability but it doesn't have to be. You could literally just be less capable, hence in a lower grade. Exams are meant to test understanding and interpretation which you won't admit for some reason but is sooo obvious it is black and white.

I have said multiple times (more than anyone on this thread) that people with dyslexia should have extra time! I think you have run out of points...
Original post by xylas
Yes that it what I mean. It may sound like a learning disability but it doesn't have to be. You could literally just be less capable, hence in a lower grade. Exams are meant to test understanding and interpretation which you won't admit for some reason but is sooo obvious it is black and white.

If you're slower and are struggling to understand because you have a disability then extra time should be rewarded.
If you're slower and struggling to understand because you did not prepare/revise then extra time should not be rewarded.

I have said multiple times (more than anyone on this thread) that people with dyslexia should have extra time! I think you have run out of points...

No, you said that being slower to interpret things does not equal a disability, when in fact, it's a common symptom of dyslexia..
Reply 169
If you're slower and are struggling to understand because you have a disability then extra time should be rewarded.
If you're slower and struggling to understand because you did not prepare/revise then extra time should not be rewarded.

No, you said that being slower to interpret things does not equal a disability, when in fact, it's a common symptom of dyslexia..

Literally your 2nd paragraph is what you said in the 1st. We agree /discussion
Original post by richpanda
No, it's completely unfair. That's not even counting the thousands of people who are perfectly capable but get extra time!

It's unfair having autism or dyslexia.
Reply 171
Original post by Compost
The average writing speed for a 16 year old is taken as 16.9 wpm.

Extra time for slow handwriting is only meant to be given for students not able to use a word processor.

so little? I'm shocked!
Original post by xylas
Literally your 2nd paragraph is what you said in the 1st. We agree /discussion

No we don't agree, but I'm tired of discussing this with you so we'll just leave it
Original post by JordanL_
It's unfair having autism or dyslexia.

life's not fair mate
life's not fair mate

You're right, so you should stop complaining about people getting extra time and just get on with it.
You're right, so you should stop complaining about people getting extra time and just get on with it.

but extra time isn't the 'life' part of it... my main problem isn't with the disabled people who have it, it's with the very large proportion of people who have no reason to have it, yet are still given extra time.
but extra time isn't the 'life' part of it... my main problem isn't with the disabled people who have it, it's with the very large proportion of people who have no reason to have it, yet are still given extra time.

How do you know they have no reason to have it?
How do you know they have no reason to have it?

Last month one of my mates in an a level maths class said when he does practice papers he usually runs out of time as a general comment. The teacher said do you usually run out of time, and he said yes. The teacher then said he would get him extra time.

He's clever, doesn't write slowly and has no sort of condition. I think he declined the offer, but why should he and others be given extra time?
Last month one of my mates in an a level maths class said when he does practice papers he usually runs out of time as a general comment. The teacher said do you usually run out of time, and he said yes. The teacher then said he would get him extra time.

He's clever, doesn't write slowly and has no sort of condition. I think he declined the offer, but why should he and others be given extra time?

Doesn't mean he will get extra time
Doesn't mean he will get extra time

I have several other anecdotes that I can't be bothered to fully write out, but the general message is that there is either no checks by a qualified expert, or these 'experts' are very lenient.

Latest