The Student Room Group

What energy transfers take place in wind up radio?

Thanks
Original post by Ben Johnson
Thanks
Hmmmmm.

This sounds very much like you wanting others to do your homework for you.

If you want help (which we are more than happy to give :smile:) start by telling us what you think is happening and we can guide you to your answer.
Thanks

Kinetic to eletrical and heat
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
Hmmmmm.

This sounds very much like you wanting others to do your homework for you.

If you want help (which we are more than happy to give :smile:) start by telling us what you think is happening and we can guide you to your answer.

It's actually for a revision for a mock exam coming up XD. I'm guessing that it stores elastic potential energy and when the radio is wound up it is transformed into kinetic energy, which is, in turn, transformed into sound and heat energy. Although I think it might transform into electrical energy before it became sound and heat energy.
It's actually for a revision for a mock exam coming up XD. I'm guessing that it stores elastic potential energy and when the radio is wound up it is transformed into kinetic energy, which is, in turn, transformed into sound and heat energy. Although I think it might transform into electrical energy before it became sound and heat energy.
Yes. you got it.

Chemical energy is converted to kinetic by the human body which is used to turn the wind-up mechanism. This kinetic energy is stored as potential energy by coiling a spring mechanism.

When the spring is released, the stored potential is released as kinetic energy driving a dynamo generator producing electrical energy.

The electrical energy provides a current to work the radio which converts the energy to sound and heat.

Note, there are also energy losses in the wind-up mechanism and the dynamo which also escape as sound and heat.

Quick Reply

Latest