The Student Room Group

Applying for actuarial positions now

Hi All,

I find myself in a position where I've been working in an unrelated analytical field for around 18 months and want to make the swap over to an actuarial position in the city.

My original plan when at university was to find an actuarial position when I graduated so I do have the relevant degree and several exemptions from CT exams. However during my job search I came across this "off-centre" offer which I felt was a good opportunity to get a foot onto the career ladder and develop my analytical skills so I took it. A year and a half later, I want to get back on track with my original goals.

My question is basically: are there many opportunities to get into graduate actuarial positions at this time of year? I appreciate that many of you go through the graduate scheme route but I don't really want to be sticking around for another 6 months in my current role before I start applying for things. I see there are some openings on theactuaryjobs.com, are these roles likely to be vastly different to getting a position through a grad scheme?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,
THEALB10N
Original post by THEALB10N
Hi All,

I find myself in a position where I've been working in an unrelated analytical field for around 18 months and want to make the swap over to an actuarial position in the city.

My original plan when at university was to find an actuarial position when I graduated so I do have the relevant degree and several exemptions from CT exams. However during my job search I came across this "off-centre" offer which I felt was a good opportunity to get a foot onto the career ladder and develop my analytical skills so I took it. A year and a half later, I want to get back on track with my original goals.

My question is basically: are there many opportunities to get into graduate actuarial positions at this time of year? I appreciate that many of you go through the graduate scheme route but I don't really want to be sticking around for another 6 months in my current role before I start applying for things. I see there are some openings on theactuaryjobs.com, are these roles likely to be vastly different to getting a position through a grad scheme?

Thanks,
THEALB10N

Hey,

I thought grads schemes were mainly set up so you had to apply in September. It might be worth exploring the roles on the site you mentioned as they might even be better paid than the grad roles.
Original post by THEALB10N
Hi All,

Thanks,
THEALB10N

If you've been in an analytical role for 18months you may be able to boycott graduate applications and apply as a junior analyst (but not entry level grad but slightly higher). A number of city firms are recruiting analysts at the moment, the ones I deffo know of in London are Aon, LCP and Buck Consultants. Also I believe Mercer in Bristol are also looking for someone.

Hope the applications go well, let me know if you have any questions about the industry / job etc x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending