The Student Room Group

Is being white a privelage in today's society?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, but not nearly as much as it was in the 20th century.
i think in America maybe
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jarjarbinkss
i think in America maybe

You want to say explicit and implicit racism
Original post by JohnGreek
Only if you can spell

You need a specsavers appointment booked ASAP . .. 👍🏽❗️‼️‼️
Reply 5
No. And I'm not even white.
Original post by JohnGreek
Only if you can spell

:troll:
Original post by Trapz99
No. And I'm not even white.

Are you black? Have you ever in the slightest experienced racism?
Privilege*.
To some extent I do. For example, medical institutions don't really privilege you in color because well it doesn't matter, but if you look at school's, you will get teacher's who favor a lot of people, and partly race does play a part.. me thinks.
Not in the UK. White people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds are the least privileged in British society.
Yes, crudely. I don't think out and out racism is as bad as it has been, but ethnic minorities are certainly underrepresented in the upper echelons of society and I can't help but think that is due to different groups inheriting different sets of expectations about their lives/careers, who or what exactly imposes those isn't that easy to pin down, and of course it doesn't apply in every case. For me equal legal and effective opportunities is not enough if there are factors out of your control (race, class etc) predetermining your ability to get into the position to take those opportunities in the first place, I think changing this is the new socially progressive cause, insisting upon equal rules and nothing more is arguing for the status quo.
It is not anymore, there are a lot of things that blacks can get that we cannot
Original post by fudgecake22
Are you black? Have you ever in the slightest experienced racism?

I have never experienced racism in this country in my whole life.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Not in the UK. White people from economically disadvantaged backgrounds are the least privileged in British society.

You mean the underclasses" or the infamous chav" stereotypes. They tend to lack an education &I mostly be openly racist than educated people who know how to be indirectly racist. For instance institional racism.
Original post by Trapz99
I have never experienced racism in this country in my whole life.

Depends where you live and what type of school you went I suppose
No I think it's all about what class you come from
Original post by fudgecake22
You mean the underclasses" or the infamous chav" stereotypes. They tend to lack an education &I mostly be openly racist than educated people who know how to be indirectly racist. For instance institional racism.

Because people are racist they cannot be underprivileged? What you're saying is irrelevant.
Original post by AperfectBalance
It is not anymore, there are a lot of things that blacks can get that we cannot

Like what?
Original post by _icecream
Like what?

Many people don't take a black person abusing a white person any way near as seriously as white on black racism. or getting into unis in America can be easier if you are black to meet "quotas"
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Because people are racist they cannot be underprivileged? What you're saying is irrelevant.

Y need to work on your comprehension and reading skills babe xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending