The Student Room Group

Is Maths a joke for Further Maths students?

Scroll to see replies

I thought the difference between the two is just more modules? :dontknow: Wouldn't it just be easier comparing modules?
It all depends on what modules you take, if you take more of the higher mechanics modules then you're going to have a much tougher time for fm than normal maths. I'm on aqa and c4 can definitely be challenging at times and I definitely wouldn't call it easy, that being said it does make fm easier. The hardest module that I am doing on fm which is fp2 is much harder than c4 though.
Original post by khaleesi98
Hmm I'd say:

FP2
M2
M1
FP1
S2
D2
C4
C3
S1
D1
C2
C1

S1 harder than C2???
Original post by spaceman11
S1 harder than C2???

If you enjoy something you could find it easier... from what I've heard, people would rather C2 than S1 :tongue:
Reply 44
It's not a joke. But feels like just a side task if you do them at the same time. Like one of those mundane things you got to get out the way.
Original post by spaceman11
S1 harder than C2???

Haha I'm awful at remembering how you're supposed to set stats out/what the diagrams are meant to look like/what the some of the terminology actually even means ☺️ whereas I found C2 ridiculously easy by the exam came around tbh. Also...

Original post by Imperion
If you enjoy something you could find it easier... from what I've heard, people would rather C2 than S1
(edited 8 years ago)
For some. For others, no.
Reply 47
Hmm I'd say:

FP2
M2
M1
FP1
S2
D2
C4
C3
S1
D1
C2
C1

No way in hell S2 is harder than D2. Wait you put M1 near the top!!!
(Did you do D2?)
Original post by xylas
No way in hell S2 is harder than D2. Wait you put M1 near the top!!!
(Did you do D2?)

Yeah I did D2 last year lol I thought it was epic. I'd say D2 and S2 are pretty much the same in terms of difficulty tbh

Mechanics is horrible and should be a part of the physics A Level imo. Managed to get an A in M1 with zero understanding of what was actually going on, hoping to do the same with M2 this year 😅 Not saying it's objectively one of the most difficult modules, just that I'm no good at it haha
For some people Maths is challenging and Further is torture.
Reply 50
Yeah I did D2 last year lol I thought it was epic. I'd say D2 and S2 are pretty much the same in terms of difficulty tbh

Mechanics is horrible and should be a part of the physics A Level imo. Managed to get an A in M1 with zero understanding of what was actually going on, hoping to do the same with M2 this year 😅 Not saying it's objectively one of the most difficult modules, just that I'm no good at it haha

Most topics in mechanics are covered in A-level Physics, so Physics student have a slight advantage. I agree on Mechanics being horrible (it's my worst module, and my class decided to do M3 rather than FP3 :frown: ), but its actually quite fun once you get the hang of it :tongue:
Original post by Alexion
Probably only feeling like C4 is hard because I pushed it to one side (and I'm feeling the pressure because I need to do well in C4 for an A* in Maths).

It's easier than FP1 tho tbf.

You find C4 easier than FP1!?
I've always said that FP1 is comparable to C1 in terms of difficulty and C4 is much harder.
Original post by kkboyk
Most topics in mechanics are covered in A-level Physics, so Physics student have a slight advantage. I agree on Mechanics being horrible (it's my worst module, and my class decided to do M3 rather than FP3 :frown: ), but its actually quite fun once you get the hang of it :tongue:

Ahh unlucky. And IF you get the hang of it haha

No, I'm sure it will be fine in the end, I'm just sulking at the moment ☺️ thanks for reminding me that it could be worse though lol x
Original post by Dysprosium
Depends on your school. For my school it's not the case where people are both struggling with maths and FM, my friend took it to look 'hard' and 'smart', his dropping it though...

in my school to look hard you got into fights and pissed off teachers, not study maths lol
Reply 54
Ahh unlucky. And IF you get the hang of it haha

No, I'm sure it will be fine in the end, I'm just sulking at the moment ☺️ thanks for reminding me that it could be worse though lol x

I have been getting Us for M2 and M3 throughout the year, so its a miracle I'm getting the hang of it (all thanks to OCR textbook, and the notes on TSR) :colondollar: But... I will never understand circular motion :/
Original post by Lauren99
I do further maths and a lot of people in my class struggle more with the core maths then they do further. Mainly due to not having a calculator for one of the exams, though.
I don't know how it works everywhere else but for the exam board I'm doing (edexcel), your best exams are put into your core maths result, so generally you'd do better in core.

No. Only your best applied modules.
I do FM and I'm sill finding parts of C4 pretty difficult, i'm hardly top of the class though.
Depends on the individual :yep:

But I happen to think FM is also a tad uninspiring :redface: In fact I did a lot of my own reading to make up for the shortcomings of the syllabus :lol:
Imo

m1
c2
s2
fp1
d1
s1
c1
Original post by banterboy
in my school to look hard you got into fights and pissed off teachers, not study maths lol

And it's a real shame so many schools are like yours, rather than his - meaning no disrespect

Quick Reply

Latest