The Student Room Group

Is being white a privelage in today's society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fudgecake22
Y need to work on your comprehension and reading skills babe xx

No doubt.
Original post by JohnGreek
Regarding lower-class white chavs...

Having poor access to education, a familial environment that's based around benefits and interim periods of precarious employment, and few role models to raise your expectations about your life, all reduce the amount of "privilege" you possess. These people may, in turn, be antisocial, racist *****, but that empowerment only comes from a skewed perception of their racial superiority, and, for them at least, doesn't translate into actual socioeconomic privilege.

True that, I've experienced racism mainly from the chavy type of people
No. There is certainly a class divide, but there is no divide made on racial grounds in the UK.

You could argue it exists in the US, but it certainly does not in the UK.

It's probably more of an advantage in certain Arab states, where white immigrants are well treated but those from other ethnicities are treated like dirt unless they are rich.

Having poor access to education, a familial environment that's based around benefits and interim periods of precarious employment, and few role models to raise your expectations about your life, all reduce the amount of "privilege" you possess. These people may, in turn, be antisocial, racist *****, but that empowerment only comes from a skewed perception of their racial superiority, and, for them at least, doesn't translate into actual socioeconomic privilege.

What do you think government should do to address the problems for underprivileged white people?

Do you think the state should do more to help them? Should this be in the form of better access to housing, higher benefits, subsidised education? Government-funded job schemes?

Or should it be left to the free market, if we reduced taxes for higher earners then the wealth would trickle down to poorer white people and help them out of poverty?
This thread is not going to end well.

Yes.. . But then you get the middle class whites who laugh at their own kind. Is that situation not the same for immigrant/ethnic minority kids/people. Being white is one step ahead privelaged . I mean being English
Fingers crossed to a heated debate 👌🏽
Original post by _icecream

Someone's being a member of the "precariat", the lowest class, does not automatically imbue them with "chav" characteristics.

And while it might be hard to stomach the thought that the people affecting the privilege of others are themselves underprivileged, it is something you have to separate from the discussion. Just because someone with HIV spreads HIV does not mean that that someone does not have HIV. In fact, the reason they're spreading HIV is because they have HIV!
Original post by _icecream

Thats because they're dumb enough to do it openly. Lack of education and manners.
Reply 31
Original post by Anonymous
Name please?

Hover over the link :tongue:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
What do you think government should do to address the problems for underprivileged white people?

Do you think the state should do more to help them? Should this be in the form of better access to housing, higher benefits, subsidised education? Government-funded job schemes?

Or should it be left to the free market, if we reduced taxes for higher earners then the wealth would trickle down to poorer white people and help them out of poverty?

It is always white people. Everything about them. Immigrants and minorities owe the world to them
Original post by C-rated
Hover over the link :tongue:

Stupid site all I can say for your defence
Original post by tengentoppa
No. There is certainly a class divide, but there is no divide made on racial grounds in the UK.

You could argue it exists in the US, but it certainly does not in the UK.

It's probably more of an advantage in certain Arab states, where white immigrants are well treated but those from other ethnicities are treated like dirt unless they are rich.

Lol the Arabs are scared they'll give them a bad reputation, but the white people always promote the oppressed stereotypes of Muslim countries. Individuals are racist and nicer to their own race.
"We aim to create a workforce that is representative of the community it serves at all levels of seniority within the Trust. We are therefore particularly interested in receiving applications from people from ethnic minority backgrounds’."

Nah, it pays much more to be a minority.
POC= piece of Crap ??
Good question - I'd say a combination of stricter controls on benefits and government-funded jobs to force the older generations into some form of work - however basic it may be (to dispel the illusion that JSA is anything but a temporary measure used to get people back on their feet), as well as forcing teens who can afford it to stay in FE until 18 doing some form of apprenticeship that leads them into a skilled job.

Of course, some of the areas with high levels of such people may be ones where the decline in local industry has left most of the working population without a job (I'm thinking Scunthorpe, Redcar, Doncaster, Blackpool, those sort of places). This would require more drastic, whether that is retraining people with some basic IT/software skills to open up jobs like secratarial positions to them, or even encouraging local authorities to coordinate across the country through some form of assisted-buying scheme where they help low-income families sell and transfer homes across the country in search of better jobs. In tandem with the above, you could always experiment with building social housing in richer areas to break down the rather secluded, high-crime neighbourhoods that you get when all the social housing is built in one place (such as in Blackbird Leys in Oxford).

It's a difficult one...

Calm down mate 😐
Original post by Anonymous
"We aim to create a workforce that is representative of the community it serves at all levels of seniority within the Trust. We are therefore particularly interested in receiving applications from people from ethnic minority backgrounds’."

Nah, it pays much more to be a minority.

Because the white majority have created that situation in the first place for crying out loud.
If anything, that shows how privilege in the UK is largely based on class/income/education rather than on skin colour. Middle Class people may laugh at white lower-income families and call them "chavs", "white trash", etc., but that distinction is based on class rather than skin colour.

I don't understand what you mean... is being white somehow preferred in immigrant families? (I've heard stuff about this form of colonial hangover in India, but idk)

Allow it John Greek 🙄🙄 I've seen racism in front of my eyes, even white trash are defended by the whites

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending